The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player control during throw-in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98495-player-control-during-throw.html)

just another ref Thu Oct 09, 2014 05:13pm

Player control during throw-in

I see no reason why this matters anyway, but it's a study guide question so it might be a test question. Is there player control during the throw-in? Answer key says no. I say why not? Definition says player control means player holding a live ball?

I'm sure this has been discussed before.

SNIPERBBB Thu Oct 09, 2014 05:21pm

I cant see anything that would disagree with you. Don't see much practicality in the question though if it was on a test?

BillyMac Thu Oct 09, 2014 06:32pm

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 941419)
Is there player control during the throw-in?

4-12: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling
a live ball. There is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches
the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper, or during an
interrupted dribble.

A team is in control of the ball:
d. When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in.

The 2010-11 NFHS Basketball Rulebook states: 4-12: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling
a live ball inbounds. The word "inbounds" disappeared in the 2011-12 Rulebook, and has not be seen, or heard from, since then.

Camron Rust Thu Oct 09, 2014 08:51pm

Not sure why they took the word "inbounds" out of the definition. The only thing it may have done was make it a PC foul if they committed a foul (which is hard for them to do). I guess it may have been part of the half-brained attempt at cleaning up the team control mess they made.

BillyMac Fri Oct 10, 2014 06:10am

Pick A Prize From The Top shelf ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 941424)
... the half-brained attempt at cleaning up the team control mess they made.

Bingo.

Smitty Fri Oct 10, 2014 08:39am

In the NFHS "Preseason Guide" handout for this season, there is a small article on Team Control Status During Throw-In. A note in that article states:

Quote:

Team control during a throw-in is not intended to be equated to player-control status inbounds, creating team-control status inbounds. During the throw-in 10 seconds, three seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds.

Freddy Fri Oct 10, 2014 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 941424)
Not sure why they too the work "inbounds" out of the definition.

:confused:
Had it not been consonants that seem to be at issue, I'd diagnose that your keyboard was suffering from "Irritable Vowel Syndrome."

Adam Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 941437)
In the NFHS "Preseason Guide" handout for this season, there is a small article on Team Control Status During Throw-In. A note in that article states:
Quote:

Team control during a throw-in is not intended to be equated to player-control status inbounds, creating team-control status inbounds. During the throw-in 10 seconds, three seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds.

They could easily resolve this by fixing the rule, then they wouldn't have to rely on people reading the preseason handouts and previous season rule change notifications.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 941438)
:confused:
Had it not been consonants that seem to be at issue, I'd diagnose that your keyboard was suffering from "Irritable Vowel Syndrome."

LOL (fixed my typos).

BillyMac Fri Oct 10, 2014 04:14pm

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 941437)

How about player control status, or for that matter, team control status, out of bounds?

4-12: A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling
a live ball.

Smitty Mon Oct 13, 2014 06:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 941447)
They could easily resolve this by fixing the rule, then they wouldn't have to rely on people reading the preseason handouts and previous season rule change notifications.

Sure. I was just trying to help with some context I found in the article.

Smitty Mon Oct 13, 2014 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 941466)
How about player control status, or for that matter, team control status, out of bounds?

It seems obvious (to me) that you can derive that from what was stated.

BillyMac Tue Oct 14, 2014 06:21am

Player Control ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 941537)
It seems obvious (to me) that you can derive that from what was stated.

So you would agree that there is player control during the throw-in (as described in the original thread)?

Smitty Tue Oct 14, 2014 06:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 941613)
So you would agree that there is player control during the throw-in (as described in the original thread)?

No I would not agree with that. At all.

Adam Tue Oct 14, 2014 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 941614)
No I would not agree with that. At all.

What's missing?