The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player control during throw-in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98495-player-control-during-throw.html)

Smitty Tue Oct 14, 2014 08:02am

I'm going by the text of the note I quoted above. There is specific wording that team control during a throw-in is not intended to equate to player control. There is no mention of player control existing out of bounds. It only makes sense that player control exists inbounds.

Rob1968 Tue Oct 14, 2014 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 941620)
I'm going by the text of the note I quoted above. There is specific wording that team control during a throw-in is not intended to equate to player control. There is no mention of player control existing out of bounds. It only makes sense that player control exists inbounds.

But, Smitty, 4-12-1 tells us that "A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball."
And, 4-12-2 "A team is in control of the ball:
a. When a player of the team is in control.
d. When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in."

Thus, for purposes of a Test question/answer, as to whether there is player control during a throw-in, one must play the "what does the test administrator want for an answer, type game," and respond, "Yes."
I seem to recall that this same or a similarly worded question appeared on last year's test, and they were eliciting a "True" answer. (?)

Smitty Tue Oct 14, 2014 09:49am

The answer key in the OP says no. I agree. I think they added enough wording via the notations to imply there is no player control during a throw-in. The fact that it's not implicitly stated in the rules doesn't keep me up at night.

just another ref Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:12am

It doesn't keep me up at night either, but since it is a question it needs an answer. There is only one important thing about this question, the fact that it can be missed on a test. Other than that, I see it as totally irrelevant, one way or the other.

Smitty Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:14am

There's always an ambiguous question or two on the test. In this case, however, even though they may have written the rules poorly, I think they made it clear in the followup notifications. It makes no sense to me that a player who is out of bounds would still have player control status.

Camron Rust Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 941637)
But, Smitty, 4-12-1 tells us that "A player is in control of the ball when he/she is holding or dribbling a live ball."
And, 4-12-2 "A team is in control of the ball:
a. When a player of the team is in control.
d. When a player of the team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in."

Thus, for purposes of a Test question/answer, as to whether there is player control during a throw-in, one must play the "what does the test administrator want for an answer, type game," and respond, "Yes."
I seem to recall that this same or a similarly worded question appeared on last year's test, and they were eliciting a "True" answer. (?)

They dropped a key word from this rule recently...'inbounds". Perhaps it was an editing error and they still intend for PC to only exist inbounds.