The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player Game Entry (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98358-player-game-entry.html)

Raymond Fri Sep 05, 2014 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 939762)
The forty-five seconds I'm referring to is the forty-five seconds before the warning horn. Three substitutes from Team A enter, while four substitutes from Team B enter, all at different times within the forty-five second period; I would call that a lengthy substitution process.

But the topic is academic because it's after a timeout.

No, that's a timeout...you only complicate things for younger officials when you introduce such thinking.

bob jenkins Fri Sep 05, 2014 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939748)
Some around here insist that, since team B is playing with only four players, they'd just let it play out; after all, why penalize a team that is, by playing only four players, penalizing themselves--that's the rationalization.

I think that should be the rule -- if you resume play with 4 (whether after a TO or a substitution), then play with 4 until the next opportunity to substitute. Or, treat it like an injury in that play is stopped after the "injured player's team" gets the ball.

Freddy Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53am

Huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 939756)
If B5 doesn't return, there is no penalty.

I deem that incorrect by virtue of the PENALTY stated at the end of 10-1: "(Art.3,4,5,8,9,10) Penalized when they occur."
Occurance would be whether B5 entered or not, given the wording of the rule.
Right?

just another ref Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939774)
I deem that incorrect by virtue of the PENALTY stated at the end of 10-1: "(Art.3,4,5,8,9,10) Penalized when they occur."
Right?

A player is one of five team members who are legally on the court at any given time......

If B5 does not enter the court, he isn't a player. So the 4 on the court in this case are all the players.

I'm with Camron here.

Camron Rust Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939774)
Right?

The "when they occur" is when the 5th "player" returns at a later time, not when the 4 players enter without the 4th. If only 4 return, all that did so did return at the same time.

Freddy Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 939778)
A player is one of five team members who are legally on the court at any given time......

If B5 does not enter the court, he isn't a player. So the 4 on the court in this case are all the players.

I'm with Camron here.

What's the intent of the rule?

Adam Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939780)
What's the intent of the rule?

The intent is not to prevent them from playing with 4, there's already a rule for that. The intent is to prevent deceit, IMO.

Freddy Fri Sep 05, 2014 01:27pm

Trying to Get My Head Around This

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 939781)
The intent is not to prevent them from playing with 4, there's already a rule for that. The intent is to prevent deceit, IMO.

Is there some other rule that prevents them from playing with 4 specifically after a timeout or intermission other than 10-1-9?

Adam Fri Sep 05, 2014 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939782)
Is there some other rule that prevents them from playing with 4 specifically after a timeout or intermission other than 10-1-9?

No, just the rule that says they have to play with 5 if they're available.

Freddy Fri Sep 05, 2014 02:18pm

There's a Lot of Money Riding on This

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 939784)
No, just the rule that says they have to play with 5 if they're available.

I see that point based on 3-1, in regards to which 3.1.1 dictates: "Team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available."

Therefore, is it not a logical, sound application of this same rule that, for instance, if a team is caught playing with only four players after a timeout or intermission, that they be then assessed a team technical if/when it is detected that they failed "...to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission"? Especially when that's what 10-1-9 actually says?

Adam Fri Sep 05, 2014 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939785)
I see that point based on 3-1, in regards to which 3.1.1 dictates: "Team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available."

Therefore, is it not a logical, sound application of this same rule that, for instance, if a team is caught playing with only four players after a timeout or intermission, that they be then assessed a team technical if/when it is detected that they failed "...to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission"? Especially when that's what 10-1-9 actually says?

Check local listings.

MathReferee Fri Sep 05, 2014 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 939782)

"My team is on the floor." ;)

BillyMac Fri Sep 05, 2014 03:57pm

Reading Is Fundamental ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 939763)
No, that's a timeout...you only complicate things for younger officials when you introduce such thinking.

Thus my statement (twice, now three times) about my post about a lengthy substitution being academic (not practical, realistic, or directly useful).

I will agree that I complicated matters for younger officials before I read PG_Ref's great post, and citation, but so did BadNewsRef by continuing the discussion when it was, after all, academic.

BillyMac Fri Sep 05, 2014 04:11pm

Players, Bench Personnel, Team Members ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 939778)
A player is one of five team members who are legally on the court at any given time.

Sounds good, but what defines the court?

Aren't team members considered players if they're sitting on the bench during a sixty second timeout (not an intermission)?

I know that all team members are considered bench personnel during intermissions. This rule becomes important when deciding to charge, or not to charge, a coach with an indirect technical foul for technical fouls on players, or on bench personnel, during a timeout, or an intermission. Let's not treat this too casually, it's important, so let's try to figure it out.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Sep 05, 2014 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 939793)
Sounds good, but what defines the court?

Aren't team members considered players if they're sitting on the bench during a sixty second timeout (not an intermission)?

I know that all team members are considered bench personnel during intermissions. This rule becomes important when deciding to charge, or not to charge, a coach with an indirect technical foul for technical fouls on players, or on bench personnel, during a timeout, or an intermission. Let's not treat this too casually, it's important, so let's try to figure it out.

A player who was a player before the timeout remains a player during a timeout, I believe...