The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Double Whistle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98208-double-whistle.html)

BillyMac Wed Jul 23, 2014 04:12pm

Cross Canceling (Sorry About The Math) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 938145)
... sense of urgency that they need to start moving, before they are allowed to, to get into position.

Timing to legally enter versus a sense of urgency to get into position to rebound? Hopefully they'll cancel each other out and we will have the same frequency of violations?

Smitty Thu Jul 24, 2014 06:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 938158)
Timing to legally enter versus a sense of urgency to get into position to rebound? Hopefully they'll cancel each other out and we will have the same frequency of violations?

That's not what I was saying. I'm thinking there will be fewer violations. I'm not too worried about it either way.

BillyMac Thu Jul 24, 2014 03:40pm

Herky Jerky ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 938166)
That's not what I was saying. I'm thinking there will be fewer violations. I'm not too worried about it either way.

I'm still just a little worried about those free throw shooters with a little "hitch" in their shot. If opponents are going to violate, it will be in the first period, until they all get used to his shooting routine. We, as officials, will have to really be on our toes in the early part of the game.

Freddy Thu Jul 24, 2014 03:51pm

Post-Camp(s) Report on New Rule

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 938189)
...really be on our toes in the early part of the game.

Get 'em early and put 'em on notice, "We're watching." But of course we all subscribe to that.
Those indifferent to calling it under the old rule will be likewise indifferent calling it under the new rule, sad to say.
Six camps this summer and I didn't note any more or fewer lane violations called. Was a "break-in period" for those beyond the arc who immediately learned the new rule applies only to lane-space players. Takes a trail who, after reporting, isn't schmoozing with a coach or taking a break out by the division line, as sometimes is observed.
Did detect increased frequency of second space player cutting behind lower block player. Sometimes legally, sometimes illegally. When called we curbed it.
Clinicians, all of whom brought seasoned NCAA experience to the court, are having us closer to the FT'er as C. Not a bad thing. Much better look at that which C needs to surveil from halfway between the sideline and the nearer freethrow lane line or so than out on the sideline, which is where the indifferent reside during a freethrow, it seems.

Adam Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 938189)
I'm still just a little worried about those free throw shooters with a little "hitch" in their shot. If opponents are going to violate, it will be in the first period, until they all get used to his shooting routine. We, as officials, will have to really be on our toes in the early part of the game.

You'd have to consider the shooter and whether the motion is designed to draw the defense into a violation.

Kansas Ref Fri Jul 25, 2014 02:32pm

Using the "delayed-hitch" motion just before releasing the shot in the FT attempt is a time-worn stratagem used by players trying to "draw" a lane violation call. It's similar to in football, wherein either the QB will use long snap counts with lots of dramatic motions, head-bobbing, shoulder-faking, etc... to draw the 5 yards off sides penalty, or, when the offensive linemen use head bobs to pull the DT into the neutral zone.

So, regardless of the FT shooter's "intention" when using the hitch/delay motion in the act of FT shot attempt, if a lane violation occurred then we ought to decisively whistle it.

bob jenkins Fri Jul 25, 2014 03:14pm

If you think the FT shooter is faking -- that's a violation on the shooter.

If it's just a natural hitch -- that's a violation on the players on the lane.

Deciding which is which is our job.

BillyMac Fri Jul 25, 2014 04:44pm

Sweet Georgia Brown ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 938253)
If you think the FT shooter is faking -- that's a violation on the shooter.

Even if the elastic band brings the ball back to the shooter?