The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 09:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Learning the Rules

Found this on my PC. I'm quite positive it is something that was posted here years ago, but it is timeless information:

• Read the rulebook. Start with chapter 4. If I were going to do flash cards, I'd make them about this chapter. It forms the basis for most everything else.
• Read the casebook too. Try to answer the cases before you read the rulings. When you miss one, go back to the rules book and re-read that section.
• Research every question and note the rule(s) reference(s) right on the test. Not only does it help pass the test, but it gets you deeply into the rules.
• Find a reason to research the rules.
• Work lots of games. Just when you think you know a rule cold, you'll see something that generates entirely new questions and angles you hadn't considered before.
• Beware of veterans and clinicians. Not every great official knows the rules well. Be knowledgeable enough to know when that respected veteran is giving you bad interpretations. There's no need to disrespect them, or even acknowledge that they're mistaken. But you should be aware when you're given suspect rules information. When in doubt, take what they've told you as a starting point and do the research.
• Did I mention work lots of games? The rules are dead. The rules are lifeless. The rules are meaningless. It's only when you put them into the context of a game that they come to life and acquire meaning. Knowing the rules is only the first step. Knowing how to apply them to the game is your goal.
• Understand that not every question can be answered by the rules book. Some of the most interesting discussions we have here are about situations where this is no clear ruling. Understanding all sides of an argument will aid your ability to reason about the rules.
• Keep an open mind. It can be a bit of a rude awakening when somebody challenges your understanding of a rule and you realize that they may well be right, but its part of the learning process.
• Realize that it takes time. You can't do it all in one frantic burst of activity. It will take consistent effort over your career to truly master the rules.
• Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Good judgment comes from experience. And experience? Well that comes from poor judgment.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 10:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Solid for the most part. I can live with most of these points of view.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rules are big part but will not determine a good official in itself. Working games is the repeat theme and is really key. Seeing plays. We are what our experience makes us; the more plays we see, the better we get a calling them correctly within the rules. So although rules knowledge is absolutely necessary, it's just one piece of the pie. And I like pie.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 12:31am
Courageous When Prudent

it's a part of the pie that often gets neglected.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Found this on my PC. I'm quite positive it is something that was posted here years ago, but it is timeless information:

• • Beware of veterans and clinicians. Not every great official knows the rules well. Be knowledgeable enough to know when that respected veteran is giving you bad interpretations. There's no need to disrespect them, or even acknowledge that they're mistaken. But you should be aware when you're given suspect rules information. When in doubt, take what they've told you as a starting point and do the research.
•
*Thanks for sharing this very useful advice.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Rules are big part but will not determine a good official in itself. Working games is the repeat theme and is really key. Seeing plays. We are what our experience makes us; the more plays we see, the better we get a calling them correctly within the rules. So although rules knowledge is absolutely necessary, it's just one piece of the pie. And I like pie.
It's necessary, but not sufficient.