The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 09:17am
Ok is the new good

Observing Program

Looking for info if there is an observing program in your high school associations or boards.

A few questions:

1) Are observers recently retired on court officials? Do active veteran officials do observing?

2) Do observers get a fee and who pays the fee, the association or the officials being observed?

3) If a fee is paid, how much?

4) Does the observer submit a formal report to the association/board?

Thanks for taking the time to share info
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 05:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

1) Are observers recently retired on court officials? Do active veteran officials do observing?

Active or retired board officials who have participated on a variety of committees that include committees that have aided in the education and training of officials; those with at least five years’ experience in commissioner assigned board league tournament games; and those with at least three years’ experience (Boys and/or Girls) of state tournament games.

2) Do observers get a fee and who pays the fee, the association or the officials being observed?

Observers will observe officials on their scheduled nights (junior varsity officials and their varsity partner), as well as off-night assignments (compensated observations are limited to a maximum of 3 off-nights).

Compensation for off-night observations shall be reviewed by the executive committee annually and determined prior to the start of the season. For the past few years the off-night "fee" is that the observer's annul dues ($125.00) are waived (so, in essence, the board pays the off-night observers).

Yes. To our assistant assignment commissioner, who is in charge of the observation program.

This past season we had twenty observers to observe about three hundred officials, some more than once.

These observations, along with peer evaluations through Arbiter, are used for promotions and demotions to the varsity list or subvarsity list (with peer evaluations only counting a small amount).

RATINGS GUIDELINES FOR EVALUATION

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Official is in physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy through the game.
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.

MECHANICS
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the IAABO Officials Manual.
Performs accurate foul reporting and clock administration.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification

TEAM WORK
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official.
Arrives on time; actively participate in the pre-game.
Actively participate in the post-game.
Accepts criticism.
Shares the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

JUDGEMENT
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball.
Uses unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important,
the not calling of a rule violation will have.
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example, consistency
in the determination of a block vs. a charge.
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.

GAME MANAGEMENT
Demonstrates control of the game. Leadership, able to run the game
Communicates with coaches, partners and table.
Is courteous and polite
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her
reaction to a situation.
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls without regard to the score, whom it may hurt,
or how it may effect future relations with the coach. Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves
tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 03, 2018 at 05:16pm.
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Looking for info if there is an observing program in your high school associations or boards.

A few questions:

A little bit of both. Some are retired but many were active officials.

Up to the local association as they are the ones that run the actual program.

If paid at all, this is up to the local association.

No. They talk mostly to the official involved. I guess there is an association that could get a report, but that is not the case.
BTW, this is a very inactive program for the most part. I have not heard of many associations continuing this program at all. The state plays little to no role but came up with a model for the program.

Peace
Old Thu May 03, 2018, 08:02pm
NFHS Official

In my state, the state association has observers that are assigned to an area, travel and observe officials. Report is sent to the state, and the official being observed. The observer rates the official and includes what level of playoffs the official is recommended for.
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
[I]1)
These observations, along with peer evaluations through Arbiter, are used for promotions and demotions to the varsity list or subvarsity list (with peer evaluations only counting a small amount).

Official is in physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy through the game.

MECHANICS
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the IAABO Officials Manual.
Performs accurate foul reporting and clock administration.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification

TEAM WORK
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official.
Arrives on time; actively participate in the pre-game.
Actively participate in the post-game.
Accepts criticism.
Shares the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

JUDGEMENT
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball.
Uses unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important,
the not calling of a rule violation will have.
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example, consistency
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.

GAME MANAGEMENT
Demonstrates control of the game. Leadership, able to run the game
Communicates with coaches, partners and table.
Is courteous and polite
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and timeliness of his/her
reaction to a situation.
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls without regard to the score, whom it may hurt,
or how it may effect future relations with the coach. Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves
tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made
We used to do peer evaluations and I thought they were great. Obviously it is not solid truth but with so many officials in our are complaining about not being seen or evaluated at least it gives them some feedback. Peer evaluations have not been active for a few years, but I think that is a disadvantage to the officials in the area, especially newer ones.

Additionally, thanks for this list it is similar to criteria I have seen in the past but I think its a great to have a reference point of what observers are looking for. The list almost mirrors what I have heard D1 guys say that they are being evaluated on from the observers in their games.
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Making A List, Checking It Twice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
... thanks for this list it is similar to criteria I have seen in the past but I think its a great to have a reference point of what observers are looking for.
For what it's worth, here's another list.

REACTION TIME
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

INTESTINAL FORTITUDE
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls - without regard to the score, whom it may hurt,
or how it may effect future relations with the coach.

CONFIDENCE
reaction to a situation.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

POISE
Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants
(both players and coaches alike).
Is courteous and polite.

CONSISTENCY
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example consistency

JUDGMENT
Uses fair and unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.

COOPERATION
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official
Is not overly sensitive to constructive criticism.
Has a sense of loyalty to fellow officials, a willingness to share the responsibility and avoids attempts
to shift the blame.

KNOWLEDGE OF THE PROPER APPLICATION OF THE RULES
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball
the not calling of a rule violation will have. (i.e. advantage / disadvantage)

MECHANICS OF OFFICIATING
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the Officials Manual.

Is in excellent physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 05, 2018 at 09:51am.