The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 07:15am
This IS My Social Life

9-9-1 Backcourt - Editorial Revision?

2013/14: "A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, or if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."

"Major Editorial Change" for
2014/15: "A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, or if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."

Am I missing something, or are these two exactly the same?
Is there the "major editorial change" hidden somewhere in some other document that I'm not aware of?

(Forgive me if this has been discussed before...couldn't find a related thread)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

You missed the change, they deleted the middle "or":

2014/15: "A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, [or] if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I wonder what qualifies as a "minor" editorial change
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:32am
Courageous When Prudent

That extra "or" would cause a tapped rebound to lead to a possible b/c violation.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:36am
This IS My Social Life

That Makes Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
You missed the change, they deleted the middle "or":

2014/15: "A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, [or] if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."
Ah, thank you! The overstrike wasn't readily apparent on my cell phone when I looked at it this morning. It's clearly struck over as I see it on my laptop.

That small editorial strike does make a difference. I think 9-9-1 finally makes sense to me now.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That extra "or" would cause a tapped rebound to lead to a possible b/c violation.
Now I'm confused (doesn't take much). Doesn't the new rule (as relayed below anyway) say a tapped rebound into the back court would be a violation?
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Now I'm confused (doesn't take much). Doesn't the new rule (as relayed below anyway) say a tapped rebound into the back court would be a violation?
No, exactly the opposite. The word "or" has been removed:

"A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, or if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."

There is no team control during a rebound.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jun 18, 2014 at 01:02pm.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
No, see 4-12-3, team control ends when a shot goes up.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Please Verify This

A1, dribbling in his backcourt, passes to A2 who is in A's frontcourt, but A2 isn't looking and the ball strikes A2 in the back of the head. It bounds back into the backcourt where A1 resumes control.

QUESTION 1: It seems that 4.4.4 makes the solid case that this is a backcourt violation in the case of the ball striking an official in that situation. Is it correct that the case would be the same if it struck a teammate? That the ball striking the A2 gives the ball frontcourt status, thus a backcourt violation if A1 resumes player control in the backcourt?

QUESTION 2: Which rule determines that to be a backcourt violation?
A) New 9-9-1, or...
B) 9-9-2?

(I reserve the right not to be perfectly correct on anything having to do with the terminology of 9-9, still)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
A1, dribbling in his backcourt, passes to A2 who is in A's frontcourt, but A2 isn't looking and the ball strikes A2 in the back of the head. It bounds back into the backcourt where A1 resumes control.

QUESTION 1: It seems that 4.4.4 makes the solid case that this is a backcourt violation in the case of the ball striking an official in that situation. Is it correct that the case would be the same if it struck a teammate? That the ball striking the A2 gives the ball frontcourt status, thus a backcourt violation if A1 resumes player control in the backcourt?

QUESTION 2: Which rule determines that to be a backcourt violation?
A) New 9-9-1, or...
B) 9-9-2?

(I reserve the right not to be perfectly correct on anything having to do with the terminology of 9-9, still)
9-9-1 covers a team member touching the ball in the FC.

9-9-2 covers the ball itself getting FC status, but not touching any team member while in the front court.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

PC is not needed -- touching is sufficient.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I would prefer the use of the word "during" instead of "after" team control in the text of this rule.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 09:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
PC is not needed -- touching is sufficient.
Unless you look at the horrible reasoning given in the case play that states the throw-in play we keep talking about is not a violation.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unless you look at the horrible reasoning given in the case play that states the throw-in play we keep talking about is not a violation.
Two different contexts.
Bob is commenting on a situation in which the ball is already inbounds and one team has had a player in control.
You are referencing a play ruling specific to throw-ins in which no control has been established inbounds.
Hence, the different rulings.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 08:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Two different contexts.
Bob is commenting on a situation in which the ball is already inbounds and one team has had a player in control.
You are referencing a play ruling specific to throw-ins in which no control has been established inbounds.
Hence, the different rulings.
I understand this, and I was being snarky. The fact is, the case play gives an incorrect reasoning for the play not being a violation.

They need to just fix the rule instead of relying on duct tape and WD-40.