Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Are you telling me.....

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
baseball season is still going on?

Wow, I did not notice.

Peace
That's too bad. The best basketball player ever just retired (again, and is apparently unemployed???), and the best football player ever has been retired for a few years (hint: only QB with 60,000 passing yards as a pro, and five championships). But the best baseball player in the history of the game is playing today. And he is doing some amazing things.

Dan_ref,

For the sake of my Blue Jays, I'm glad you didn't take those standings any further. But you could have. The order of the AL East has been the same for five straight seasons, and it looks like it will be for a sixth: NY, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa.

Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Are you telling me.....

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
baseball season is still going on?

Wow, I did not notice.

Peace
That's too bad. The best basketball player ever just retired (again, and is apparently unemployed???), and the best football player ever has been retired for a few years (hint: only QB with 60,000 passing yards as a pro, and five championships). But the best baseball player in the history of the game is playing today. And he is doing some amazing things.

Armando Benetez?

Quote:

Dan_ref,

For the sake of my Blue Jays, I'm glad you didn't take those standings any further. But you could have. The order of the AL East has been the same for five straight seasons, and it looks like it will be for a sixth: NY, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa.
I recently heard this will be the 6th straight season where the same 2 teams end up 1 & 2 in the standings - if Boston holds on that is. It's been done 5 times before, never done 7 times in a row.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Are you telling me.....

Quote:
the best baseball player in the history of the game is playing today.
Coach, I can only assume that you're talking about Bonds. But to claim that he's the best ballplayer ever is debatable at best. No doubt he's put up amazing numbers in the last decade, but I would have a hard time listing him above some of the true greats, particularly those from the first half of the 20th century. The two most obvious names would be Ruth and Cobb. DiMaggio (the NY variety) and Teddy Ballgame might be up there ahead of Bonds too. Just my opinion,

Chuck
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 02:02pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Are you telling me.....

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Coach, I can only assume that you're talking about Bonds.

Chuck
I thought he was talkin' about ARod.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you telling me.....

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I thought he was talkin' about ARod.
Hmmm, I suppose that's possible too. But I guess I don't even consider ARod in the discussion yet. Give him a few more years and then maybe we can discuss how far he falls short
Old Tue Aug 26, 2003, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I'll be at Fenway tonght. Hope the bums can pull this one off. Oh well, it'll be a beautiful evening to be at the ballpark, but even more beautiful if they win. We SOX fans are a hearty people.

YES! We have a third!!!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I'll be at Fenway tonght. Hope the bums can pull this one off. Oh well, it'll be a beautiful evening to be at the ballpark, but even more beautiful if they win. We SOX fans are a hearty people.

YES! We have a third!!!
I guess it really is true -- 3 wrongs don't make it right. Brought to you by the Yankee fans (26 championships and counting).
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Are you telling me.....

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Coach, I can only assume that you're talking about Bonds. But to claim that he's the best ballplayer ever is debatable at best. No doubt he's put up amazing numbers in the last decade, but I would have a hard time listing him above some of the true greats, particularly those from the first half of the 20th century. The two most obvious names would be Ruth and Cobb. DiMaggio (the NY variety) and Teddy Ballgame might be up there ahead of Bonds too. Just my opinion,

Chuck
There are usually some good discussions on this topic at http://www.baseballprimer.com . Ruth and Honus Wagner are the only two players you can even make a case for vs Barry, IMHO. Because of Ruth's pitching, you can call him the greatest player, but most of those in the sabermetric community would narrow the list of best hitter to two--Ruth and Bonds. DiMaggio is nowhere near the class of Bonds--another product of NY hype and East Coast bias. DiMaggio got far too much hype over his fluky streak, and doesn't even compare to Williams in his own era.