The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 01:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post

4) Regardless, Paul was fouled on the last play.
Say what???

Anyone got video of the last play where the OKC defender pokes the ball away from Paul who is trying to go up against Ibaka? I sure don't remember there being any foul on that play.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Say what???

Anyone got video of the last play where the OKC defender pokes the ball away from Paul who is trying to go up against Ibaka? I sure don't remember there being any foul on that play.
Again, Clippers fanboy tainted goggles on, but I am pretty sure that in the one replay shown right after the play that there was contact on the forearm and not any contact on the ball. Seeing that no one else is really talking about that at all, then I could be wrong.

I will give in and agree Paul was not vertical on the Westbrook shot and it was a foul.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Say what???

I'm waiting for the video, b/c I immediately thought it was a foul from the first replay on TNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

CP3 was fouled on the last play of the game, need that replay. The outside defender (Jackson??), hit CP3 on the right bicep, causing him to fumble the ball.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree on #1 and #3.

#2, it looks like a foul to me, but it was close. I don't think he contacted the part of the hand that was touching the ball. Looked like he got a lot more of the wrist than the hand that was on the ball.
I think he got some of the wrist too, but I believe he contacted the hand mostly. And if I have to look at the video at that rate to determine what he got, then it was not obvious enough for me to call.

Peace
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 01:34pm
Esteemed Participant

Hmmm...just looked to me like Jackson (I think) reached in and poked the ball away. Video will tell...
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathReferee View Post
I am a completely biased long-time Clippers fan, so my views are tainted.

3) The foul on the three is tough to swallow. I see a vertical defensive player and contact only occurs due to the offensive player's motion. I could see a foul if Paul was moving into Westbrook at all, but since I see him as vertical, I do not see a foul.

CP initiates contact (even if so slight) on RW's arm. CP did a similar walk under to Stephen Curry in the previous series where no foul was called. Perhaps this play was reviewed by the crew to watch for such actions.

Old Wed May 14, 2014, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

CP initiates contact (even if so slight) on RW's arm. CP did a similar walk under to Stephen Curry in the previous series where no foul was called. Perhaps this play was reviewed by the crew to watch for such actions.

I do not see the two plays as the same. The no-call against GS was a flop too. I think when a player flops, it often gets an official to try not to fall for the overreaction to the play. Westbrook stood tall and clearly shot an air ball. He did not exaggerate contact or act like he was killed. I know I see many of these passed on a lot when players act like a little arm contact made them fall to the floor.

I am sure the first play did get talked about and might have been suggested by the NBA that it was a foul missed. But I think the flop did not help the case for GT to have a foul called.

Peace
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 04:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Article with game, rules discussion and referee comments.
"NBA official rule No. 8, Section 11, "If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball retains possession."

We have no such rule in NFHS? Right? Possession goes to whomever touched it last? Right? How about NCAA?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm waiting for the video, b/c I immediately thought it was a foul from the first replay on TNT.
Quote:
Hmmm...just looked to me like Jackson (I think) reached in and poked the ball away. Video will tell...
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 14, 2014, 09:38pm
NFHS Official

On this last play, it doesn't look like either official, the C or the L gets a good look at this.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think he got some of the wrist too, but I believe he contacted the hand mostly. And if I have to look at the video at that rate to determine what he got, then it was not obvious enough for me to call.

Peace
Mostly hand isn't enough to avoid a foul if the wrist/arm is also contacted. Only the hand is legal. As with any call, if you are not able to see it, don't call it, but that one could be seen by some.
Old Wed May 14, 2014, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
On this last play, it doesn't look like either official, the C or the L gets a good look at this.
In fact, they both had horrible angles to see it. I'm not saying they were in the wrong spots, necessarily, just that the play developed to block the view from both positions at just the wrong time.

As for the play, Jackson wasn't anywhere near the ball. Looks like he did probably slap Paul's elbow. That said, I think Paul was losing the ball already and any contact there may have been didn't change that. The end result was the correct result.
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Rivers got one thing right in his comments--get rid of video review. It's confusing, slows down the action, and makes the on court officials pointless.

Btw the League says the video was inconclusive and the call on the court stands.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...oc-rivers-fine

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu May 15, 2014 at 01:53am.
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In fact, they both had horrible angles to see it. I'm not saying they were in the wrong spots, necessarily, just that the play developed to block the view from both positions at just the wrong time.

As for the play, Jackson wasn't anywhere near the ball. Looks like he did probably slap Paul's elbow. That said, I think Paul was losing the ball already and any contact there may have been didn't change that. The end result was the correct result.
I am not really sure what Paul was going to do there anyway. The C definitely did not have a look and the L's view was likely blocked by the ball, keeping him from seeing if Jackson hit the ball or the arm. Looks like Jackson hit his arm, but I am not sold that the contact caused him to lose the ball anymore as it really looks like he was trying to throw a pass to Griffin which would have been stolen (likely) anyway.
Old Thu May 15, 2014, 09:33am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see the two plays as the same. The no-call against GS was a flop too. I think when a player flops, it often gets an official to try not to fall for the overreaction to the play. Westbrook stood tall and clearly shot an air ball. He did not exaggerate contact or act like he was killed. I know I see many of these passed on a lot when players act like a little arm contact made them fall to the floor.

I am sure the first play did get talked about and might have been suggested by the NBA that it was a foul missed. But I think the flop did not help the case for GT to have a foul called.

Peace
I don't think the GS no call was a flop. He may have embellished but the shooter was not fading at all until CP comes and gives him the walk under. He definitely took away his landing spot.