The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 09:51am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
What happens if there's a miss? Are you going to stop play right away to fix the board? What happens if the FT is made but Memphis is leaking a guy down the court hoping to catch OKC off guard and for an easy two...yet you blew your whistle and stopped play because you didn't take care of business before hand? If you stop the play on a made FT, you allow the defense to set up the defense rather than the offense being able to get the ball in quick and push the pace and in doing so, set up a potential mismatch because the defense didn't get back quickly. What if a team carries out a strategy due to the misinformation on the board (commits a foul/plays out a possession)?

So many scenarios that can be affected by not taking care of this right away...and yet people are concerned about the league MVP and excellent FT shooter at 87 percent being "iced."

Yabut...you know that Joey Crawford. Always wanting to make a scene and be the "star" when he is on the court.

SMDH.
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 10:28am
NFHS Official

Quote:
What happens if there's a miss? Are you going to stop play right away to fix the board? What happens if the FT is made but Memphis is leaking a guy down the court hoping to catch OKC off guard and for an easy two...yet you blew your whistle and stopped play because you didn't take care of business before hand? If you stop the play on a made FT, you allow the defense to set up the defense rather than the offense being able to get the ball in quick and push the pace and in doing so, set up a potential mismatch because the defense didn't get back quickly. What if a team carries out a strategy due to the misinformation on the board (commits a foul/plays out a possession)?

So many scenarios that can be affected by not taking care of this right away...and yet people are concerned about the league MVP and excellent FT shooter at 87 percent being "iced."
I'm not saying Durant got iced. He shoild have been able to make the free throw. He is a 90% shooter from the line. I'm saying the way it was handled and the actions of Crawford could have been different. Not even saying it shouldn't have been fixed then. He didn't have to go to the table and scream loud enough to hear it on tv? Screaming "Listen to me, listen to me". If Durant makes the free throw, Memphis calls a timeout to advance the ball, and it could have been fixed then. If he misses, OKC has to foul anyway, it can be fixed then.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu May 01, 2014 at 10:32am.
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 10:36am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What if Memphis wanted to run a quick throw-in and rush the ball up the court after the made free throw to catch OKC off-guard on defense? So it's alright to interrupt that opportunity?

All calling the ball back from the FT shooter does is make him start his routine over again, a routine he's done thousands of times in his career. This "icing" whining is so freaking funny.
The issue to me isn't the potential icing. I think that's a weak excuse. They aren't running a quick inbounds play, they are going to call time out and advance it up. To me the issue is Crawfords antics.
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I'm not saying Durant got iced. He shoild have been able to make the free throw. He is a 90% shooter from the line. I'm saying the way it was handled and the actions of Crawford could have been different. Not even saying it shouldn't have been fixed then. He didn't have to go to the table and scream loud enough to hear it on tv? Screaming "Listen to me, listen to me". If Durant makes the free throw, Memphis calls a timeout to advance the ball, and it could have been fixed then. If he misses, OKC has to foul anyway, it can be fixed then.
Memphis may have called a timeout...may not have...there was 27.5 seconds left on the clock...time didn't dictate that they would normally call one. In the same light, OKC also didn't have to foul on a miss. Force a shot clock violation and they have 3.5 seconds on the clock. Force a miss and secure the rebound could mean a chance to call timeout, advance...and have time for a good shot. Point is, you can't assume what a team is going to do in the future. You have to fix issues as presented in front of you when present.

And it's already been indicated that the table is a known issue even before the game, and didn't heed the direction of the officials via normal communication.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu May 01, 2014, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Memphis may have called a timeout...may not have...there was 27.5 seconds left on the clock...time didn't dictate that they would normally call one. In the same light, OKC also didn't have to foul on a miss. Force a shot clock violation and they have 3.5 seconds on the clock. Force a miss and secure the rebound could mean a chance to call timeout, advance...and have time for a good shot. Point is, you can't assume what a team is going to do in the future. You have to fix issues as presented in front of you when present.

And it's already been indicated that the table is a known issue even before the game, and didn't heed the direction of the officials via normal communication.
I thought I had heard that the NBA uses neutral table officials for the playoffs. Is that possible?
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I still can't figure out why an NBA official standing right next to the table couldn't handle this business. If a guy can't take care of that, why the heck is he working at the professional level?--Let alone a postseason contest.
If the table crew isn't listening to him, he should have been the one to stop the game. He should have sounded his whistle and held up the administration of the FT. At this time other partners could even have come over to the table and done whatever was necessary.
The fault lies with the tableside official not taking care of business and making Crawford feel that he had to come do it for him. Everyone knows that once Joey gets involved civility normally goes out the window.
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

From Steve Javie

Why Crawford Interrupted Durant - ESPN Video - ESPN

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu May 01, 2014, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing that we haven't already discussed.
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give That Man A Cigar ...

Quote:
You can't assume what a team is going to do in the future. You have to fix issues as presented in front of you when present
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Everyone knows that once Joey gets involved civility normally goes out the window.
I just spit up on my IPad; thanks.
Old Thu May 01, 2014, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I thought I had heard that the NBA uses neutral table officials for the playoffs. Is that possible?
That might be in the laters rounds...maybe even just the NBA Finals

Old Sun May 04, 2014, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

New table officials

After reading through everyone's comments, it sounds like the ones to blame for KD's interrupted FT would be the scorer & timer as their full focus was not on their duties & responsibilities.

Since it's reported that OKC has one of the worse table crews in the league, how about the NBA League Office request a new table crew be in place for future games, especially if these errors are happening on a regular basis.

It sounds as if the scorer & timer were not in continual communication with one another about team foul counts & verifying that the information is correct.
Old Sun May 04, 2014, 07:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
After reading through everyone's comments, it sounds like the ones to blame for KD's interrupted FT would be the scorer & timer as their full focus was not on their duties & responsibilities.

Since it's reported that OKC has one of the worse table crews in the league, how about the NBA League Office request a new table crew be in place for future games, especially if these errors are happening on a regular basis.

It sounds as if the scorer & timer were not in continual communication with one another about team foul counts & verifying that the information is correct.
Maybe they have done that already. And either way it hurt their team, not anyone else if you believe all the crap being said about this issue.

Peace
Old Mon May 05, 2014, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

If it hadn't been Joe Crawford involved, nobody would give a crap.

The guy's worked more seventh games in the NBA finals than any other active official. Willing to bet he was crew chief in 4/5 of them.

He's not above reproach, but I don't get the fascination some people have with bashing him over every little thing.
Old Mon May 05, 2014, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
If it hadn't been Joe Crawford involved, nobody would give a crap.

The guy's worked more seventh games in the NBA finals than any other active official. Willing to bet he was crew chief in 4/5 of them.

He's not above reproach, but I don't get the fascination some people have with bashing him over every little thing.
Maybe if Crawford hadn't been on this game, perhaps this particular scenario never plays out the way it did.

Perhaps if Crawford isn't on the SA/DAL game years ago, Duncan doesn't get T'd while on the bench.

Perhaps if Crawford isn't on the LAC/GS game, Stephen Curry might of had an open look at a 3 from the corner instead of having Crawford run right in front of him during the shot.

Depends on your definition of 'every little thing', but Crawford does a lot of 'attention getting' things that rarely are done by other officials.........