Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
And they are never based on fans' evaluations of performance.
Amen, thank goodness for that!
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 09:40am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If this play is being used as some sort of indictment against Crawford, then it must be a really weak case.
I'm sure Curry has made shots under tougher pressure :P
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Many times. I remember discussions about his mechanics or situations (and if you look on YouTube you can probably find some videos too). But keep in mind we are in a YouTube, social media era. And Bavetta has not worked as many big games in the past few years. I know I had to look up to see if Bavetta was still working, because I almost never see him anymore and certainly do not see him on the TNT or ESPN broadcasts many times.

For the record, Bavetta has not worked any playoff games for the last couple of years. And he has not worked a NBA Finals since 2008. So we do not talk about him because he is not working when Joey is or when the playoffs are going on. Perspective.

Peace
Eventhough YouTube was rolled out in 2005, it doesn't mean that games from there forward are only on YouTube. There are a ton of game/play clips from games in the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. So to be honest, the correlation to YouTube and the timeframe to when Bavetta worked a lot really doesn't exist.

Since there were 'many times' Bavetta has been discussed for corny situations, I wonder if you can point to one or two, or at least describe/reference them? Also, would love for you to 'link in' just one YouTube clip of a corny play involving Bavetta. I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anything. Every search I did though, trying to find something on Bavetta, seemed to bring up Joey Crawford clips, which was odd.....
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I don't think anyone is indicting anyone, rather just pointing out yet another corny situation that Crawford found himself in.

To me, running in front of a shooter isn't even an option. Either hold up short and mark the 3 or find room behind, along the sideline. I'm not sure if Joe even realized where he was at on the court! The angle given doesn't show the amount of room available on the sideline, and I'm not assuming that there wasn't room. It appears though, that some have seen a different angle that shows otherwise....
Well good for you. And I doubt you have worked in many situations (I know I haven't) where there are that many people in an arena or near the sideline. So I guess you might have different options with that alone, like the rest of us do. As BNR has stated, if this is the best you can do you really lose credibility with your position. You have a better position with other situations.

Peace
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Eventhough YouTube was rolled out in 2005, it doesn't mean that games from there forward are only on YouTube. There are a ton of game/play clips from games in the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. So to be honest, the correlation to YouTube and the timeframe to when Bavetta worked a lot really doesn't exist.
I realize this, but my comment was not about just YouTube, it was an example just to highlight the influence of social media and video sites that show things the public finds interesting. Most things are not shown in earlier eras the way they are today.

Quote:
Since there were 'many times' Bavetta has been discussed for corny situations, I wonder if you can point to one or two, or at least describe/reference them? Also, would love for you to 'link in' just one YouTube clip of a corny play involving Bavetta. I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anything. Every search I did though, trying to find something on Bavetta, seemed to bring up Joey Crawford clips, which was odd.....
I do not think I have to prove anything about what was said about Bavetta. You referenced Bavetta while not even having the two on the same level for years based on their assignments. And yes Bavetta is often talked about with his age and things he missed. He just has not been in any high profile situations relative to J. Crawford. You would have been better talking about Danny Crawford than Bavetta if you ask me. But that just shows you were searching for a criticism rather than being honest about these situations. I do not disagree that Crawford is in the spotlight a lot, but I contend that is because of social media and those doing the lazy thing and pointing out someone they recognize as much as anything. Heck you should know how lazy the media is about other officiating things and almost never ask expects or review material that would highlight what was done by officials.

Peace
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't think anyone is indicting anyone, rather just pointing out yet another corny situation that Crawford found himself in.

To me, running in front of a shooter isn't even an option. Either hold up short and mark the 3 or find room behind, along the sideline. I'm not sure if Joe even realized where he was at on the court! The angle given doesn't show the amount of room available on the sideline, and I'm not assuming that there wasn't room. It appears though, that some have seen a different angle that shows otherwise....
His momentum wasn't going to allow for him to stop, only to change directions. If he had tried to stop, he would have run into Curry.

And I can say this from my limited exposure to NBA officials, Dick Bavetta is not seen as close to the level of a Joey Crawford or Scott Foster or Tony Brothers.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 06, 2014 at 10:40am.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well good for you. And I doubt you have worked in many situations (I know I haven't) where there are that many people in an arena or near the sideline. So I guess you might have different options with that alone, like the rest of us do. As BNR has stated, if this is the best you can do you really lose credibility with your position. You have a better position with other situations.

Peace
I've worked a handful of games requiring recognition of a TV camera cord when transitioning on the endline as L. I've had a handful of games that had tight sidelines due to team benches, fan bleachers, cheerleaders, etc. Each game you make mental notes of your court surroundings and adjust. I don't think that's anything out of the norm???

Crawford probably deals with these court scenarios night in and night out, year in and year out, which would suggest that this goof up is even more of a head-scratcher, than say if it happened to you or I, since we seldom have to deal with this, JMO.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His momentum wasn't going to allow for him to stop, only to change directions. If he had tried to stop, he would have run into Curry.

And I can say this from my limited exposure to NBA officials, Dick Bavetta is not seen as close to the level of a Joey Crawford or Scott Foster or Tony Brothers.
I don't think I've tried to compare Dick Bavetta (2014) to Joey Crawford (2014). Some would say Crawford is at his peak now, or has been the past 3-5 years?? Bavetta's career peak was what, in the mid-90's??
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 02:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't think I've tried to compare Dick Bavetta (2014) to Joey Crawford (2014). Some would say Crawford is at his peak now, or has been the past 3-5 years?? Bavetta's career peak was what, in the mid-90's??
Joey Crawford has been in the NBA 37 season now, Bavetta 39. I don't think there has ever been a time Bavetta was rated ahead of Crawford.

And Bavetta was on Earl Strom's enemies list, which I'm sure wasn't the best thing for his career.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 06, 2014 at 02:26pm.
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For information purposes, Joe Crawford has worked at least one NBA Finals game, except for the 2007 NBA Finals, since 1986.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 06, 2014, 06:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I've worked a handful of games requiring recognition of a TV camera cord when transitioning on the endline as L. I've had a handful of games that had tight sidelines due to team benches, fan bleachers, cheerleaders, etc. Each game you make mental notes of your court surroundings and adjust. I don't think that's anything out of the norm???

Crawford probably deals with these court scenarios night in and night out, year in and year out, which would suggest that this goof up is even more of a head-scratcher, than say if it happened to you or I, since we seldom have to deal with this, JMO.
I had a player run into me one time when he took an unusual angle I was not expecting a few years ago. I have on video of a play where I came out onto the floor as the Trail and the ball was stolen and I was on the inside part of the court and let players pass me. These things happen and it is not a felony or major professional faux pas. Heck there was an official that got involved in the play and got knocked out of bounds in the NBA this season. I bet you were not going around telling everyone here how this was unacceptable or why this official was involved in that situation.

Peace
Old Tue May 06, 2014, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How dare you mention Crawdord before the annointed one !!!! Don't roll up into DC without giving #48, (that's Mr. Foster to you ), his proper due !!!!!

. See you next weekend brother !!!!
Old Wed May 07, 2014, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Golden Whistle Award

Yeah, the man must really suck.

Peace
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

More fuel for those who don't care for the officiating of Joey Crawford.
He mishandled the final play of the 2nd quarter in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals.
Old Tue May 20, 2014, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I see nothing wrong with the play much less anything Joe Crawford did
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.