The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Joey Crawford (Video)

VIDEO: Joey Crawford ices Kevin Durant on key free throw

Last edited by bballref3966; Wed Apr 30, 2014 at 07:35am. Reason: embed is your friend
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

He corrected something...okay...and?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:13am
Courageous When Prudent

What's this "icing" nonsense? KD goes through the same routine every time he shoots a free throw. He got to start over from scratch.

This is a complete non-story.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 08:21am
AremRed

At least Joey didn't have to go block Durant while he was shooting as another NBA ref did a few years ago. Imagine the posters...
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

But he did jump right in front of Steph Curry the other night on a three point attempt.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
He corrected something...okay...and?
What did he correct? Just curious. Also anyone know if the correctable error time frame is the same in the NBA and NFHS?
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicsman View Post
What did he correct? Just curious. Also anyone know if the correctable error time frame is the same in the NBA and NFHS?
Seems as though he was correcting a situation with the team fouls on the scoreboard.

And the correctable error timeframe is a lot longer than NFHS/NCAA. Most errors can be corrected if discovered prior to the beginning of the next period. Only a few errors (wrong team starting with possession of the ball to start a quarter or going or both teams going the wrong way for example) have to be corrected prior to 24 seconds going off to begin the quarter.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd fix this, too. It's important -- knowing the team fouls could dictate the strategy on a rebound / subsequent possession.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'm alright with the correction. More alarmed by the offensive rebounder who ended up with the ball running past durant as he's shooting on the way the to rim and coming up the ball.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I'm alright with the correction. More alarmed by the offensive rebounder who ended up with the ball running past durant as he's shooting on the way the to rim and coming up the ball.
Under NBA rules, restrictions end for everyone upon the release except for the FT shooter.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

yelling at the table

Did you hear how he yelled at the table and scolded them? Would any of you ever use that tone with the table?
I know I would not allow myself to act that way.

NBA vs NFHS, not the same for sure, but I was surprised.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously, his play-calling and focus are of a high level, but what baffles me is that he seems to struggle with people skills. Most officials who make it to the upper levels are top-notch in that area.
He certainly was disrespectful to the table crew.
If the foul count was so important to him (and I agree that it matters to the teams for game strategy), then either he should have looked prior to administering the FT or his partner who is standing in front of the table should have handled it. That guy is an NBA official as well.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Joey Crawford is from the era of many that people love to talk about the antics of Earl Strom or others that were colorful and acted in ways that were totally different than they are today. Just listen to old NBA tapes of interactions with Referees and these guys said all kinds of things.

Crawford entered the league in 1977. If the NBA did not like his antics, they would stop giving him games or they would not put him in the playoffs and Finals. He is no different than many that started at a similar time or well over 25 years that did not completely change with the times or standards that officials even when I started were not asked to do. And I also think Crawford knows his place and what he can do. I actually see very little wrong with his actions and think this entire idea that he cannot stop KD from shooting is stupid and silly when there is a mistake about to be made. And I bet JC was dealing with a constant problem. His body language was not perfect, but we do not know what was said either way. And most of all, this was the home team's people, so shame on them if they got something wrong that hurt their team.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see the game, but heard about this incident this morning on a local sports talk radio show.

They said that the Scorers table and Crew in OKC is one of the worst in the league and several NBA officials have complained to their superiors regarding the table and crew. Common themes are that the table is slow to respond and becomes too engaged in the game as fans instead of officials.

From what I understand the foul that KD was shooting free throws for put OKC in the bonus. The table side official was telling the table several times during the first free throw to correct the scoreboard to indicate that OKC was in the bonus. He was basically ignored. This is when Crawford stepped in and laid down the law. Unfortuneately, he had already given the ball to Durant for the second free throw and had to get it back.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
Did you hear how he yelled at the table and scolded them? Would any of you ever use that tone with the table?
I know I would not allow myself to act that way.

NBA vs NFHS, not the same for sure, but I was surprised.
That's what stood out to me. Why not approach the table if there was confusion rather than screaming at them in such a manner?