The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   RA Discussion (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97836-ra-discussion-video.html)

APG Wed Apr 30, 2014 03:02am

RA Discussion (Video)

Seeing as this is the off season and slow time of this board, I'll see if I can conjure up plays for discussion.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/qMCgEbAYaTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RA play here?...Block/charge? Should the RA apply? What about positioning? what about secondary help from any of the officials (if applicable)?

Pantherdreams Wed Apr 30, 2014 06:00am

I haven't got an RA violation here, but still a block based on the the new NCAA interp in regards to gather/upward motion of the shooter being the criteria to established/maintaining.

I'm ok with this call.

APG Wed Apr 30, 2014 06:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 933040)
I haven't got an RA violation here, but still a block based on the the new NCAA interp in regards to gather/upward motion of the shooter being the criteria to established/maintaining.

I'm ok with this call.

Not quite sure how you think the defender was late. IMO the defender is there...well in time before the ballhandler's upward motion. And the calling official agrees too because the only reason he called a block was the RA...at least if he's mechanically correct.

Raymond Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:16am

This is a play that John Adams tells us in videos that the C needs to come over an provide information on the RA. The defender was not w/i the RA.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:23am

Does the RA apply on drives from "below" the backboard?

Besides, I think LGP was outside the arc.

L should have kept rotating.

Raymond Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 933052)
Does the RA apply on drives from "below" the backboard?

Besides, I think LGP was outside the arc.

L should have kept rotating.

I've been taught that on an immediate drive, if you haven't crossed the midway point of rotating, then go back.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 933054)
I've been taught that on an immediate drive, if you haven't crossed the midway point of rotating, then go back.

I have him farther across then that when the drive starts -- and he certainly would have been if he moved with a purpose across.

SCRef1983 Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:33am

**first post EVER**

As far as RA is concerned, I believe he was outside thus should have been an PC foul. I'm a women's official so the upward motion isn't something I am super familiar with but the RA is the same. From what I've been taught the RA stops underneath the backboard and players can draw PCs "behind" the backboard.

On another note, if L would have seen the dribbler step on the end line, he wouldn't have had to make this hard call. :eek:

Raymond Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRef1983 (Post 933056)
On another note, if L would have seen the dribbler step on the end line, he wouldn't have had to make this hard call. :eek:

I thought I saw him step out also.

APG Wed Apr 30, 2014 07:56am

I believe he did step out...but for the purposes of discussion...he didn't. ;)

Also, welcome to the board SCRef1983 :)

AremRed Wed Apr 30, 2014 08:19am

The defenders left foot is clearly outside the arc. The defenders right foot would be behind the arc if it extended to the end line....does that matter?

SCRef1983 Wed Apr 30, 2014 08:42am

From my knowledge, it doesn't matter because the RA doesn't extend all the way to the endline. It stops where the line ends. If someone knows any better than I do, please inform me and the board.

Thanks APG!! Been reading posts for a while. Just decided to join in on the convo.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 30, 2014 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRef1983 (Post 933067)
From my knowledge, it doesn't matter because the RA doesn't extend all the way to the endline. It stops where the line ends. If someone knows any better than I do, please inform me and the board.

Thanks APG!! Been reading posts for a while. Just decided to join in on the convo.

You are correct that the RA stops at the backboard.

AremRed Wed Apr 30, 2014 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCRef1983 (Post 933067)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 933078)
You are correct that the RA stops at the backboard.

PC foul at every level. Defender is outside the RA and establishes LGP before the offensive player leaves the floor or begins upward motion.

JetMetFan Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 933064)
The defenders left foot is clearly outside the arc. The defenders right foot would be behind the arc if it extended to the end line....does that matter?

The RA is what it is...in other words it doesn't extend to the end line.

This is definitely a "help your partner" situation. If he still rules it a block after being told the defender wasn't in the RA that's on his head.