The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   RA Discussion (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97836-ra-discussion-video.html)

dahoopref Wed Apr 30, 2014 02:25pm

Thanks for posting this play for discussion APG.

Is there any reason why Gonzaga is inbounding the ball at the endline, after the foul, instead of shooting 2 FTs?

Pantherdreams Wed Apr 30, 2014 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 933041)
Not quite sure how you think the defender was late. IMO the defender is there...well in time before the ballhandler's upward motion. And the calling official agrees too because the only reason he called a block was the RA...at least if he's mechanically correct.

IMO he's in his intial position (angled to the drive) before but brings his right foot forward squaring himself and moving into the shooter/driver after the ball and player are on the way up.

Raymond Wed Apr 30, 2014 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 933110)
Thanks for posting this play for discussion APG.

Is there any reason why Gonzaga is inbounding the ball at the endline, after the foul, instead of shooting 2 FTs?

Great question.

Nevadaref Wed Apr 30, 2014 04:57pm

Not an RA play. It's an end line out of bounds play.
Actually an embarrassing miss for a D1 official.

Camron Rust Wed Apr 30, 2014 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 933117)
Great question.

It was a compromise for missing the OOB call. ;)

JetMetFan Thu May 01, 2014 06:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 933110)

Why do I get the feeling this was one of at least three questions their supervisor may have had for the crew about this play? Hitting the trifecta like this - OOB, RA, Block/PC - might have meant there were voice mails waiting for them at halftime.

AremRed Thu May 01, 2014 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 933157)
Why do I get the feeling this was one of at least three questions their supervisor may have had for the crew about this play? Hitting the trifecta like this - OOB, RA, Block/PC - might have meant there were voice mails waiting for them at halftime.

Do supervisors really care about tough plays like this that happen 1/4 of the way into the game, that favor the road team who losing by 8, etc?? Unless the Gonzaga coach sends in video demanding an explanation, would a supervisor really pick this moment to rip the crew?

rockyroad Thu May 01, 2014 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 933171)
Do supervisors really care about tough plays like this that happen 1/4 of the way into the game, that favor the road team who losing by 8, etc?? Unless the Gonzaga coach sends in video demanding an explanation, would a supervisor really pick this moment to rip the crew?

Uhmmm, Gonzaga was the home team. The missed OOB and the subsequent blocking call did NOT favor the road team, they went against the road team...and yes, the supervisor is going to care that one of his crews made three mistakes on one lay.

AremRed Thu May 01, 2014 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 933172)
Uhmmm, Gonzaga was the home team. The missed OOB and the subsequent blocking call did NOT favor the road team, they went against the road team...and yes, the supervisor is going to care that one of his crews made three mistakes on one lay.

My bad, got the jersey colors wrong.

Toren Sun May 04, 2014 09:27am

I have a block in real time. I have defender moving forward trying to establish and obviously failing to do so, IMO.

As the Lead didn't finish his rotation, it actually leaves the T with the best opportunity to offer assistance on the RA.

Good clip.

JRutledge Sun May 04, 2014 11:42am

I see a PC foul all the way (RA, NCAA interp).

Peace

OKREF Sun May 04, 2014 02:30pm

All I have is whites ball. Player went out of bounds on the drive.

JetMetFan Sun May 04, 2014 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 933171)
Do supervisors really care about tough plays like this that happen 1/4 of the way into the game, that favor the home team who losing by 8, etc?? Unless the Gonzaga coach sends in video demanding an explanation, would a supervisor really pick this moment to rip the crew?

*We don't know whether the Gonzaga coach sent the play to the supervisor but if I had to guess I'd say he did...for the exact reasons you laid out. He was down and it cost one of his kids a foul.
*If the supervisor was watching the game on ESPN he could question it instantaneously. Last summer I was told the Big East women's offices have an NHL-style war room where they can watch all games involving conference teams at the same time.
*The crew is paid quite well to make these decisions. When a crew has a "triple play," there are going to be questions from above.

APG Sun May 04, 2014 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 933320)
All I have is whites ball. Player went out of bounds on the drive.

Already been pointed out but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 933060)
I believe he did step out...but for the purposes of discussion...he didn't. ;)

;)

OKREF Sun May 04, 2014 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 933325)
Already been pointed out but...

;)

Fair enough, I didn't read every post. I think it's a PC.