The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flop ??? (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97730-flop-video.html)

7IronRef Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:54pm

Flop ??? (Video)

http://wp.me/p3LRnW-1zRO

I don't know what is worse, the flop or the actual call

AremRed Thu Apr 10, 2014 09:55pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GLZAES-Z4vs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:28pm

The worst part of the video is the parent cheering the flop.

At that level of basketball I'm sure the officials are very inexperienced, so I won't criticize them. I give them credit for looking off-ball.

Bad Zebra Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31pm

This video is disturbing on multiple levels…I'm talking about the actions of the players involved, their age, the fans reaction…a LOT wrong with this picture.

AremRed Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 931330)
The worst part of the video is the parent cheering the flop.

I dunno if they were cheering the flop, I think they were just reacting to the absurdity of it all.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:47pm

It was the correct call. There was no flop.

MTD, Sr.

junruh07 Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:50pm

Here is what I think I would do with that play in real time. If I was watching that match up, I would see what really happened. If I saw that out of the corner of my eye, I would call a push. The black player was pushing him at least a little bit because his arms follow the yellow player as he falls. If you pause the video at about 8 seconds, and just look at that picture, it sure looks like he got pushed. My question is, what do we do with it? Is that a T for faking being fouled? A play on?

APG Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by junruh07 (Post 931338)
Here is what I think I would do with that play in real time. If I was watching that match up, I would see what really happened. If I saw that out of the corner of my eye, I would call a push. The black player was pushing him at least a little bit because his arms follow the yellow player as he falls. If you pause the video at about 8 seconds, and just look at that picture, it sure looks like he got pushed. My question is, what do we do with it? Is that a T for faking being fouled? A play on?

Call a foul on the defender for a trip.

Edit: Went back and saw the offensive player wasn't tripped. I'd just no call it.

bainsey Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by junruh07 (Post 931338)
If I was watching that match up, I would see what really happened. If I saw that out of the corner of my eye, I would call a push. The black player was pushing him at least a little bit because his arms follow the yellow player as he falls.

True, but you can't call a pushing foul, because the pushing happened when the ball wasn't live. You either call a technical foul, wait for the ball to become live and call the push, or tell the pusher "hands off" while the ball is still dead.

At this level, I'm going with "hands off." The kids are still learning.

APG Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 931345)
True, but you can't call a pushing foul, because the pushing happened when the ball wasn't live. You either call a technical foul, wait for the ball to become live and call the push, or tell the pusher "hands off" while the ball is still dead.

At this level, I'm going with "hands off." The kids are still learning.

The ball was in the thrower's hands...

bob jenkins Fri Apr 11, 2014 07:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 931337)
It was the correct call. There was no flop.

MTD, Sr.

That's my take, too.

But, the green player also seems like a troublemaker, and I'd keep an eye on him for the next several minutes.

Adam Fri Apr 11, 2014 07:44am

I'm with Bob and Mark, I've got no problem with the call. Gold allowed himself to be pushed to the ground, IMO, but green put himself into a bad position by pushing his opponent.

bainsey Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 931347)
The ball was in the thrower's hands...

The pushing started long before the ball was in the thrower's hands. You can make a case for a T for dead ball contact, but I prefer to talk with the kid first.

Da Official Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:15am

I like the call.....Next! :D

JRutledge Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39am

I am wondering if there was some gamesmanship her. It appears that the dark jersey player was pulled or grabbed in some way. I would like to see the other angle. But it does appear the dark jersey player's arms do go forward. I am just wondering if this why the kid in yellow fell?

Peace