The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kentucky vs. Louisville (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97638-kentucky-vs-louisville-video.html)

AremRed Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:31pm

Kentucky vs. Louisville (Video)

A couple no-calls (push at 16:06 and hit on the arm at 12:46) have caused Calipari to go into a tizzy. He has been warned.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:35pm

Clear stepping out of bounds violation missed by the Lead around 10:24 of first half.
I'm going to blame the silly design of the floor marking. Never understood the 2-inch line inside of the thick and solid OOB area. Just paint the entire thing!

AremRed Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:43pm

I like how the officials passed on the contact at 11:05 and then the same exact contact on the other end at 10:57. Perhaps both were fouls, but treated consistently.

AremRed Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 929601)
Clear stepping out of bounds violation missed by the Lead around 10:24 of first half.
I'm going to blame the silly design of the floor marking. Never understood the 2-inch line inside of the thick and solid OOB area. Just paint the entire thing!

I missed an OOB call very similar this season. Not sure the double marking has anything to do with it, I think the official just looked down late.

AremRed Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04pm

Harrell called for PC at 2:17, I thought he stayed under control and went to the (legal) defender but not through him.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 929601)

NevadaRef:

I agree with you about the silly design of the floor marking. I am finding it at all levels on new courts. That said, I do not know how he missed the call because he was looking down right at the player's feet. I would have thought he would have called a foul if he thought the player was pushed out of bounds.

My "Better Half" called out of bounds when she watched the play has it happened live (of course it helps to have a 46" HD screen on which to watch the game, :D).

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 929610)
NevadaRef:

I agree with you about the silly design of the floor marking. I am finding it at all levels on new courts. That said, I do not know how he missed the call because he was looking down right at the player's feet. I would have thought he would have called a foul if he thought the player was pushed out of bounds.

My "Better Half" called out of bounds when she watched the play has it happened live (of course it helps to have a 46" HD screen on which to watch the game, :D).

MTD, Sr.

I believe that when the player's foot came down it completely covered the 2-inch line, but did not touch the fat painted area outside of that. If the official was solely focused on the foot in that small area and while looking in that small spot sees inbounds-colored court to the side of the foot, it would appear that the player was inbounds.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 929608)
Harrell called for PC at 2:17, I thought he stayed under control and went to the (legal) defender but not through him.

He displaced the defender. That's all which is required by rule. PC was the proper call. Even Pitino said so in his halftime interview!

AremRed Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 929612)
He displaced the defender. That's all which is required by rule. PC was the proper call. Even Pitino said so in his halftime interview!

I don't think he displaced the defender, the "through" I mentioned. I thought the offensive player maintained control and stopped at contact, making the contact with the defender incidental.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 929613)
I don't think he displaced the defender, the "through" I mentioned. I thought the offensive player maintained control and stopped at contact, making the contact with the defender incidental.

You are using screening principles to judge a guarding situation. Hence, you are reaching the wrong conclusion.

Adam Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 929613)

Stopping at contact is only sufficient with a blind screen when the player with the ball is not involved. I haven't seen the play, but it's not the right way to judge whether there's a PC foul or not.

AremRed Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:40pm

Same play at 13:07, this time no-called.

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 929610)
NevadaRef:

MTD, Sr.

I sure whatever adult beverage Mrs. MTD has had this evening also helped in her judgment :D:D:D

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 929603)
I like how the officials passed on the contact at 11:05 and then the same exact contact on the other end at 10:57. Perhaps both were fouls, but treated consistently.

+1

It reminded me of the thread earlier in the week about the plays in the Syr / Dayton game.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52pm

Incorrect whistle for GT (perhaps BI depending upon angle) against Kentucky at 8:00 of 2nd half.