The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 11:49pm
We don't rent pigs

End of game review

End of NC/Iowa St game. The clock started late on the throw-in after the made basket. The timeout was finally recognized with a few tenths left. Then after recognizing the late start, the net result was game over. I get that and don't have a problem. But, if instead of calling the timeout, the guy had released a successful shot at the same point (or with even less time on the clock) would the review to check the release have gone back through the whole final possession and ultimately canceled the shot?

surely not

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
End of NC/Iowa St game. The clock started late on the throw-in after the made basket. The timeout was finally recognized with a few tenths left. Then after recognizing the late start, the net result was game over. I get that and don't have a problem. But, if instead of calling the timeout, the guy had released a successful shot at the same point (or with even less time on the clock) would the review to check the release have gone back through the whole final possession and ultimately canceled the shot?

surely not
Yes, I think they would have.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, a review would have been triggered and the timing error corrected using a stop watch, and the shot would have been cancelled.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

It didn't end up mattering, but I thought it was strange in the Kansas/Stanford game, KU hits a 3 with 15 seconds to go and immediately calls a timeout. But the crew decided they needed to review the clock and decided the clock should read 15.1 instead of 15, so they give Kansas their timeout back??!! That seems like a bit much.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
It didn't end up mattering, but I thought it was strange in the Kansas/Stanford game, KU hits a 3 with 15 seconds to go and immediately calls a timeout. But the crew decided they needed to review the clock and decided the clock should read 15.1 instead of 15, so they give Kansas their timeout back??!! That seems like a bit much.
Agreed--I've felt like there's been far too much watching the backs of the officials' heads while reviewing monitors to adjust the clock after what seems like every stoppage of play.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:24am
We don't rent pigs

So, if the clock is late starting on the play, (less than a second late, I think?) player comes up the floor, watching the clock with no way of knowing that it is not correct, times his shot perfectly and releases it with .2 showing, only to have it wiped out?

This would be criminal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter555 View Post
Agreed--I've felt like there's been far too much watching the backs of the officials' heads while reviewing monitors to adjust the clock after what seems like every stoppage of play.
Part of me wonders if these conferences are taking a little longer than they need to solely as the officials' way of quietly trying to push for PTS.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Another question about this play: At what point should the clock have been stopped after the Iowa State basket? I realize it stopped at 1.6, but if we're getting things down to the tenths, it seemed a little slow in stopping. I know a goal occurs when the ball passes through the goal but does that include the net? BTW, I'm not an NC or Iowa State fan in the least.

JMF? (Sometimes it sux to have a talent, eh?) We should figure out a way to compensate ya for all the time you put into this...

Last edited by Rooster; Mon Mar 24, 2014 at 12:01pm.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Another question about this play: At what point should the clock have been stopped after the Iowa State basket? I realize it stopped at 1.6, but if we're getting things down to the tenths, it seemed a little slow in stopping. I know a goal occurs when the ball passes through the goal but does that include the net?
Yes -- it's when the "top" of the ball gets through the bottom of the net.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 12:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Part of me wonders if these conferences are taking a little longer than they need to solely as the officials' way of quietly trying to push for PTS.
Now that's a conspiracy theory I can get behind!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes -- it's when the "top" of the ball gets through the bottom of the net.
Not that I don't believe you (not even close...) but where in the book would a fella such as myself find that? I looked in Rule 4 under Goal in the NCAA book and in the NFHS book I see nothing except 5-1-1. Both read the same.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Not that I don't believe you (not even close...) but where in the book would a fella such as myself find that? I looked in Rule 4 under Goal in the NCAA book and in the NFHS book I see nothing except 5-1-1. Both read the same.
Look at the definition of the basket.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Look at the definition of the basket.
And remember the net is considered part of the basket.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

And a Goal is made when the ball passes through the basket (or remains in), and the clock is stopped when a Goal is made (in the last 59.9 seconds)
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So, if the clock is late starting on the play, (less than a second late, I think?) player comes up the floor, watching the clock with no way of knowing that it is not correct, times his shot perfectly and releases it with .2 showing, only to have it wiped out?

This would be criminal.
I agree.