The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of game review (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97597-end-game-review.html)

just another ref Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:49pm

End of game review

End of NC/Iowa St game. The clock started late on the throw-in after the made basket. The timeout was finally recognized with a few tenths left. Then after recognizing the late start, the net result was game over. I get that and don't have a problem. But, if instead of calling the timeout, the guy had released a successful shot at the same point (or with even less time on the clock) would the review to check the release have gone back through the whole final possession and ultimately canceled the shot?

surely not

Matt Mon Mar 24, 2014 02:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 928496)
End of NC/Iowa St game. The clock started late on the throw-in after the made basket. The timeout was finally recognized with a few tenths left. Then after recognizing the late start, the net result was game over. I get that and don't have a problem. But, if instead of calling the timeout, the guy had released a successful shot at the same point (or with even less time on the clock) would the review to check the release have gone back through the whole final possession and ultimately canceled the shot?

surely not

Yes, I think they would have.

Raymond Mon Mar 24, 2014 07:14am

Yes, a review would have been triggered and the timing error corrected using a stop watch, and the shot would have been cancelled.

ballgame99 Mon Mar 24, 2014 08:19am

It didn't end up mattering, but I thought it was strange in the Kansas/Stanford game, KU hits a 3 with 15 seconds to go and immediately calls a timeout. But the crew decided they needed to review the clock and decided the clock should read 15.1 instead of 15, so they give Kansas their timeout back??!! That seems like a bit much.

Dexter555 Mon Mar 24, 2014 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 928523)
It didn't end up mattering, but I thought it was strange in the Kansas/Stanford game, KU hits a 3 with 15 seconds to go and immediately calls a timeout. But the crew decided they needed to review the clock and decided the clock should read 15.1 instead of 15, so they give Kansas their timeout back??!! That seems like a bit much.

Agreed--I've felt like there's been far too much watching the backs of the officials' heads while reviewing monitors to adjust the clock after what seems like every stoppage of play.

just another ref Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24am

So, if the clock is late starting on the play, (less than a second late, I think?) player comes up the floor, watching the clock with no way of knowing that it is not correct, times his shot perfectly and releases it with .2 showing, only to have it wiped out?

This would be criminal.

MD Longhorn Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter555 (Post 928534)
Agreed--I've felt like there's been far too much watching the backs of the officials' heads while reviewing monitors to adjust the clock after what seems like every stoppage of play.

Part of me wonders if these conferences are taking a little longer than they need to solely as the officials' way of quietly trying to push for PTS.

Rooster Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51am

Another question about this play: At what point should the clock have been stopped after the Iowa State basket? I realize it stopped at 1.6, but if we're getting things down to the tenths, it seemed a little slow in stopping. I know a goal occurs when the ball passes through the goal but does that include the net? BTW, I'm not an NC or Iowa State fan in the least.

JMF? (Sometimes it sux to have a talent, eh?) We should figure out a way to compensate ya for all the time you put into this...

bob jenkins Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 928583)
Another question about this play: At what point should the clock have been stopped after the Iowa State basket? I realize it stopped at 1.6, but if we're getting things down to the tenths, it seemed a little slow in stopping. I know a goal occurs when the ball passes through the goal but does that include the net?

Yes -- it's when the "top" of the ball gets through the bottom of the net.

AremRed Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 928581)
Part of me wonders if these conferences are taking a little longer than they need to solely as the officials' way of quietly trying to push for PTS.

Now that's a conspiracy theory I can get behind!

Rooster Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 928592)
Yes -- it's when the "top" of the ball gets through the bottom of the net.

Not that I don't believe you (not even close...) but where in the book would a fella such as myself find that? I looked in Rule 4 under Goal in the NCAA book and in the NFHS book I see nothing except 5-1-1. Both read the same.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 928630)
Not that I don't believe you (not even close...) but where in the book would a fella such as myself find that? I looked in Rule 4 under Goal in the NCAA book and in the NFHS book I see nothing except 5-1-1. Both read the same.

Look at the definition of the basket.

AremRed Mon Mar 24, 2014 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 928631)
Look at the definition of the basket.

And remember the net is considered part of the basket.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 24, 2014 02:04pm

And a Goal is made when the ball passes through the basket (or remains in), and the clock is stopped when a Goal is made (in the last 59.9 seconds)

Adam Mon Mar 24, 2014 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 928575)
So, if the clock is late starting on the play, (less than a second late, I think?) player comes up the floor, watching the clock with no way of knowing that it is not correct, times his shot perfectly and releases it with .2 showing, only to have it wiped out?

This would be criminal.

I agree.