The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hard to be overly critical of fellow officials. Having said that, I think it was far from the best officiated game of the past couple of days.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Matt, look at the replay at around 1:53. He is walking toward the division line waving his arms. Only after Hess starts towards him does he point at the table. By then, it's too late.
Just curious, are you saying that walking towards the division line waving ones arms is sufficient for getting a (2nd) technical?
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 12:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
Just curious, are you saying that walking towards the division line waving ones arms is sufficient for getting a (2nd) technical?
He was considerably out of the coaching box, wasn't he?
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Both fouls were consistent to what I've seen this week.
A lot of the "touch fouls" I've seen were defender passively guarding, and not calls I'd make in a high school game.

(BYU-Oregon was "touch foul" central. (Eyewitness.) 45+ fouls, and that was a 20 point difference.)

Coach must request a time out, can't go to the table. Saw this called two-plus decades ago by Dave Libbey. Looks terrible, but it is what it is.

Not like the refs called a T for dunking in the pre-game warm ups.
Oh, wait.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Hard to call a timeout when you don't have the ball...just saying
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 11:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Hard to call a timeout when you don't have the ball...just saying
There's protocol for fixing errors like this. Breaking that protocol comes with a risk, and that risk is increased when you've already been warned and whacked. You might just get walked.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

I like both fouls and Ts.

The first one the player "bellied up" the shooter and then the other player hit the shooter on the elbow and wrist.

The second play the defender was not vertical. It does not seem that was the reason the coach was complaining, but the coach went out of the box, way out of the box. I like the second T for that too.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 12:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

After the foul was called the shot clock issue became moot, so what was he going to accomplish at the scorer's table?
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
After the foul was called the shot clock issue became moot, so what was he going to accomplish at the scorer's table?
he was there before the foul was called
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There's protocol for fixing errors like this. Breaking that protocol comes with a risk, and that risk is increased when you've already been warned and whacked. You might just get walked.
ok, so say he doesn't go to the table and the play proceeds as it did...how would he be able to fix anything?
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
ok, so say he doesn't go to the table and the play proceeds as it did...how would he be able to fix anything?
1. I honestly don't know what the protocol is.

2. Do we honestly think these guys aren't going to notice on their own after a short amount of time?

3. My recommendation: Get the clock operator's attention and the let them deal with it. His short leash from acting like an idiot after a solid foul call earlier left him with little recourse.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
he was there before the foul was called
The play is at the other end of the court. The officials are watching the play, not the coach. Once the foul is called there was no reason for him to continue trying to get the officials' attention, which he did.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The play is at the other end of the court. The officials are watching the play, not the coach. Once the foul is called there was no reason for him to continue trying to get the officials' attention, which he did.
So he's supposed to just let the play unfold without a shot clock? It stayed at 15 for the entire play, which I believe consumed about 6-7 seconds of game time before the foul. What if it ran for more than 15 seconds and then the foul occurred?

Is it a case where since there was a foul under the 15 seconds, and before realizing a timing issue, the play stands? *I understand the officials and scorers were unaware of the timing issue until after the game.*

I'd like to know for my own understanding of the rules.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I like both fouls and Ts.

The first one the player "bellied up" the shooter and then the other player hit the shooter on the elbow and wrist.

The second play the defender was not vertical. It does not seem that was the reason the coach was complaining, but the coach went out of the box, way out of the box. I like the second T for that too.

Peace
Agree....both pretty obvious fouls, not marginal at all.

As for the 2nd T...agree, you really can't be that far out of your box yelling anything at anyone after you've had one T.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 04:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

We assign one person (the HC) final responsibility for ensuring that 5 of his players are on the court. (Even though we have mechanics to prevent having to call that T.)

Not resetting and starting the SC was missed by how many people? 3 + 1 + more (other table personnel who would have had the time and knowledge to rectify this error). So, at least 5, likely 6 or 7.

When the GC read 11:22, the SC showed :15. The GC stopped at 11:17, which means the SC should have read at most :10. But we also know that the SC wasn't running properly for some time. I bet that it wasn't running for a long enough period of time that would negate the non-urgency that Team A had on that entry pass. Imho, the mistake definitely affected the play. And in fact, the play as it developed wouldn't've even happened in that fashion.

And we want to kick a coach out of a tournament game because of this?

I see little common sense in that.

Let's walk the coach back to his bench, listen to his words, and then respond by saying that "if it happened that way, I'm sorry it was missed". Remind him that leaving the coaching box is often subject to penalty, and then "we'll work harder". That'd be a great no-call.

Just my 2 cents.