The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:09am
Often wrong never n doubt

Speculation on the discussion?

Anyone care to speculate what the discussion is for? Seems like an easy T to me.

)
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Not knowing the rules that are being played under, I am sure the discussion is not about whether to give a T or not, but to discuss what exactly the T was for and who it was on. That is important so that it is administered correctly. It is possible the table side official might not know if a foul or violation was the result of the play before the T.

It is common in my pre-game conferences with my partners before the game that I discuss what we do when we have a T. And talking to each other is one of those things I think is required so that we can make sure we are shooting everything i the proper order with the right shooter and putting the ball in the proper place. I have nothing wrong with their conversation.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

It's generally a good idea to get together after a T to be sure all are on the same page.

Maybe C thought there was a foul called on black before the T. Maybe they use NCAA rules and he wanted to confirm the POI. ...
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Any game I work, if a T is called, the calling official gets with at least one partner to ensure everything will be administered correctly.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:01am

Every reply confirms my suspension that is regular housekeeping. I expect the C wanted to know if he called a foul before the T on the first play.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Every reply confirms my suspension that is regular housekeeping. I expect the C wanted to know if he called a foul before the T on the first play.
As unemotional we think Ts might be, we still are not happy that we call them. And we often forget everything else when we make that call. It is always good to just repeat what you just called to a partner so that you do not forget some specific information that would turn this into a correctable error or give the ball to the wrong team or place on the floor. It is always good to have some conversation to make sure you do not screw up a basic rule.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:05pm
Esteemed Participant

This play took place at the Oregon City "End of the Trail" tournament...a HS girls team tournament, but also a college officials camp. So it is HS ball played under NCAAW rules. I would bet several of my favorite beverages that the "discussion" was simply making sure that they administered the T correctly and went POI (throw-in on the endline) instead of at midcourt .
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Probably just to confirm that the initial whistle was out of bounds and that it was not a shooting foul. Signal was pretty clear, but perhaps the other official missed it or was looking elsewhere.

May also be standard practice to make sure partners are aware before reporting to the table.

Edit: given what rockyroad shared ... that makes the most sense.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
You were suspended?
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You were suspended?

Stupid autocorrect. Although I thought I was going to get suspended for posting too many poor quality videos.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Any game I work, if a T is called, the calling official gets with at least one partner to ensure everything will be administered correctly.
Which is funny cuz after the conference the partner went to the wrong basket to administer the FT's.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Which is funny cuz after the conference the partner went to the wrong basket to administer the FT's.
And they were discussing where to inbound the ball while the shots were being administered.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
This play took place at the Oregon City "End of the Trail" tournament...a HS girls team tournament, but also a college officials camp. So it is HS ball played under NCAAW rules. I would bet several of my favorite beverages that the "discussion" was simply making sure that they administered the T correctly and went POI (throw-in on the endline) instead of at midcourt .
Agreed...that's the officials camp associated with the EOT tournament. Campers have to wear pants and that back gym is oh so fun to officiate in when its really hot in late June.

Glad when I work that tournament I get to wear shorts.

Yes agreed with what others (and you) were saying as they were getting together and discussing the order to shoot in etc...as its different than probably what they were used to.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Signals ...

I just love the "slamming the ball down" signal. Hopefully the NFHS will add this to their signal chart next year. That, and the "Frankenstein's monster over the back" signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Which is exactly why you get together and chat about these things before going forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I just love the "slamming the ball down" signal. Hopefully the NFHS will add this to their signal chart next year. That, and the "Frankenstein's monster over the back" signal.
I noticed the "slamming the ball down" signal, too. I think it's in the book next to the "rapid slapping of the wrists" motion used by coaches to illustrate illegal use of hands.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)