Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 05:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Dead ball contact (Video)

Dead ball contact

Peace

Last edited by APG; Sat Mar 08, 2014 at 08:04pm. Reason: embed
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Unless he shoved him, that looks like a really touchy call.

Hard to tell from this video, but it looks like they were just tangled up at the time of the whistle and the player with the ball ripped away and lost his balance.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 06:09pm
beware big brother

JRut, I think you over-reacted on that one. I don't see the need for a dead ball foul on that play. It appears as though neither player stopped fighting for the ball when the whistle sounded. The video doesn't show the blue player shoving the white player or extending his arms. From the angle we have on the video, I have to agree with the previous post stating it looks like the white player loses his balance trying to rip the ball away.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 06:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
JRut, I think you over-reacted on that one. I don't see the need for a dead ball foul on that play. It appears as though neither player stopped fighting for the ball when the whistle sounded. The video doesn't show the blue player shoving the white player or extending his arms. From the angle we have on the video, I have to agree with the previous post stating it looks like the white player loses his balance trying to rip the ball away.
He put his elbow in his chest after he hesitated. Hard to see from that far away, but that is why I made that call. Secondly, if you see the very next play after that, the same player is fouled very hard just to stop the clock. The white coach reacted immediately after as if the opponent were trying to hurt his players after the T. It also must be noted that the player did not even complain. He knew what he was doing and was unemotional about the call which also fouled him out of the game. These teams had played 3 previous times with the team in white winning all those times. The big guy in white was not that uncoordinated or a flopper. But I appreciate the comments, just think the kid did that on purpose to give a little extra. I stand by that part of that judgment.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle blows, Lead signals foul and then blue moves hard into white. I can't tell if he extended his arms or not but I can see why the T was called. The contact after the play was excessive and did not look to me to be a continuation of the play or incidental. Now, if I had been there i might not have called it but I have no problem with theway it was called.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He put his elbow in his chest after he hesitated. Hard to see from that far away, but that is why I made that call. Secondly, if you see the very next play after that, the same player is fouled very hard just to stop the clock. The white coach reacted immediately after as if the opponent were trying to hurt his players after the T. It also must be noted that the player did not even complain. He knew what he was doing and was unemotional about the call which also fouled him out of the game. These teams had played 3 previous times with the team in white winning all those times. The big guy in white was not that uncoordinated or a flopper. But I appreciate the comments, just think the kid did that on purpose to give a little extra. I stand by that part of that judgment.

Peace
I saw the elbow. It's around the :09 mark at full-speed. It's the reason White #33 went sailing OOB. The wrestling for the ball was pretty much done by that point. Given the background info you had on the teams having that kid out of the game wasn't a bad thing.

I also have to say you've got some springs in those legs, Jeff
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 07:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

I also have to say you've got some springs in those legs, Jeff
I am not old man!!!

Well, getting there but you know what I mean.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 08:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Men Of A Certain Age ...

Quote:
I am not old man!!!
I am. I had Catholic middle school state tournament games today. Scheduled for two games, and knowing that, worked my butt off for two games (full size high school court). After the second game, the site director asked us to stick around for a few minutes because the officials for the next game, the last game of the day, weren't at the site. After a phone call, we discovered that, due to a schedule snafu, there weren't officials scheduled for the last game of the day, so we stuck around to work the game. My partner (a young whipper-snapper) and I put in a great effort in that game (it's a state tournament game, no "relaxed" mechanics), but I will admit that I was getting tired, and sore, by the last period. It's tough to get old.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 08:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with the call, Jeff.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 09:05pm
beware big brother

Quote:

Peace

You were there for the entire game so you have a feel for the temperature of the game, and you have a much closer and better look than we have from the video. So if you think there was something extra there, than I would go with your instinct. My comments are based only on the video.

On a side note, the white coach is a douche bag. I wouldn't slow down, let alone call 911 if I saw him dying on the side of the road.

Lastly, congratulations on getting your first basketball super sectional this year.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 09:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You were there for the entire game so you have a feel for the temperature of the game, and you have a much closer and better look than we have from the video. So if you think there was something extra there, than I would go with your instinct. My comments are based only on the video.
I got that. I wasn't even thinking about that at first when I posted this. I was just taking the play for what it was. But I just realized how these things can be influenced by the "tempreture" as you stated.

Quote:
On a side note, the white coach is a douche bag. I wouldn't slow down, let alone call 911 if I saw him dying on the side of the road.

Lastly, congratulations on getting your first basketball super sectional this year.
I am sorry, I got a big chuckle out of that comment.

Thanks BTW.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 09:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

I see a push, I see no problem with a T.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

In a high school game, a two-handed shove like this near the end of the game absolutely needs to be penalized.

This is EXACTLY the type of play that, if allowed to occur without penalty, causes a good game to become one that includes a fight.

Good call JRut!
Old Sun Mar 09, 2014, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for sharing.

I like the call. Clearly after whistle excessive illegal contact. We can't ignore it, so we penalize it.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2014, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Good get. Not one that is always seen and called.