The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sportsmanship announcement before games.....

We all know the pre-game schpeel is not worth the paper it's written on. Game management is sometimes unaccounted for or in rare cases the actual problem. Below is what the WIAA has schools read.....however you are in charge of rewording it! Ready? Set? Go!

Insert high school name High School, the Insert conference name Conference, and the WIAA require good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches, parents, and all spectators at interscholastic athletic events.
Good sportsmanship is demonstrated by respecting and positively supporting the student-athletes, coaches, spectators, and officials.
Profanity; racial, sexist, or ethnic comments; and any other intimidating action that is directed at officials, student-athletes, coaches, or spectators will not be tolerated and will be grounds for removal from this interscholastic athletic event.
Good sportsmanship is the responsibility of student-athletes, coaches, parents, and all spectators. Please display good sportsmanship at all times.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Scrap it all. These words are all forgotten once the ball is tossed and a call goes against their team
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 10:06pm
Stubborn Member

Every time I hear this announcement I have to fight the urge to roll my eyes. Not because I don't believe in it, but because I know that to some people you might as well be reading the lyrics of Beyonce's latest hit for all it matters.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 11:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The statement is irrelevant. If GM takes care of business, it isn't needed. If GM doesn't enforce it, it's empty words.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2014, 11:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Illinois has a similar statement. It is not a big deal, we do not say it as officials. It is their thing so it is done. Honestly I do not care what they say just like it matters little if a Catholic school prays before the game.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:06am
AremRed

Every NAIA school does a little spiel before the game (every sport) where they talk about their Champions of Character values. I like it, but most of those schools are Christian anyway.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

NY state has a similar pre-game speech officials have to give to teams. It's a waste of time and NO ONE cares. It doesn't effect jack crap. If you want to improve sportsmanship have really strict penalties for T's, ejections and fans that misbehave.

Words are empty and worthless.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Here is ours-
"CIF-SS playoff contests are conducted under the strictest code of good sportsmanship.The officials are neutral individuals representing the commissioner and have been selected based on demonstrated ability.Rooters are encouraged to support their own team and are requested to display proper sportsmanship with respect to the visiting school and the officials.The CIF-SS appreciates your attendance and support of high school basketball."

The State Tournament requires their own script-
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening
The California Interscholastic Federation welcomes you to the 2014 CIF State Basketball Playoffs.The CIF would like to thank you for showing your support of our student athletes by attending tonight's contest.We are proud of our competitors who have advanced thru league,sectional,and now state regional play to represent their schools.

We remind coaches/players/spectators that Pursuing Victory with Honor is about fair play and respect.Please cooperate in making this contest exemplary and in the finest traditions of interscholastic athletics.We also remind you that the officials here today/tonight are men/women who have been selected on the basis of their expertise,fairness,and integrity.Please treat them with the respect they deserve.Thank you for your cooperation and support.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 01:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NY state has a similar pre-game speech officials have to give to teams. It's a waste of time and NO ONE cares. It doesn't effect jack crap. If you want to improve sportsmanship have really strict penalties for T's, ejections and fans that misbehave.

Words are empty and worthless.
I think the existing penalties would be sufficient if they were more universally enforced.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 07:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Still Going To Sink ...

Here, in The Land Of Steady Habits, we will often have the players read the statement, having a visiting player read the first half, and having a home player read the second half. It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 10:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

The OP lives in the same state I live in.

My favorite line is, and I'm paraphrasing:

"The officials for tonight's game are neutral, licensed by the WIAA, and assigned based on their proven ability to officiate interscholastic competition at this level."

This is usually the spot where I'll crack a joke to a partner about not knowing us very well.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 11:33am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Every NAIA school does a little spiel before the game (every sport) where they talk about their Champions of Character values. I like it, but most of those schools are Christian anyway.
Must be a regional thing, none of the NAIA schools in this area do this, or if they do it is before we arrive on the court at the 20 minute mark.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 11:39am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Must be a regional thing, none of the NAIA schools in this area do this, or if they do it is before we arrive on the court at the 20 minute mark.
That's funny cuz you and I are from the same region. Plus, it is plastered all over the NAIA.org website.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 11:45am
beware big brother

I have worked at least 12 men's games a year in the CCAC for the last 5 years, and I have never heard this announcement once.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I have worked at least 12 men's games a year in the CCAC for the last 5 years, and I have never heard this announcement once.
I worked in that league too and I have heard this announcement in some form. Not every time for sure as I admit I rarely pay attention, but I have heard a statement that is consistent with the NAIA mission. I also work football for some of those same schools in the Mid-State Conference and you hear it more there as there is more dead time to know this is going on. I am sure not all school are as diligent to make that announcement every game.

Peace