The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request of Kansas at Oklahoma State game. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97407-video-request-kansas-oklahoma-state-game.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:56pm

Video Request of Kansas at Oklahoma State game.

An OSU player was called for a block against a KU player with 6:50 left in the second half. It was an easier charge call than the one in the Syracuse-Duke game of last Saturday.

I would appreciate it for our video gurus to post a video of the play. Much thanks in advance.

MTD, Sr.

AremRed Sun Mar 02, 2014 02:39am

Some of you may be able to browse to the play (6:50 second half) here: ESPN3 -- Kansas vs. Oklahoma State

Blindolbat Sun Mar 02, 2014 03:47am

Looks like a charge to me.

JetMetFan Sun Mar 02, 2014 09:30am

video added

Here's the play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l60zIst1sn0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bad Zebra Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:01am

In real time, it appears the defender is moving forward at the point of contact. Slo-mo replay doesn't really disprove that theory either (IMO)…maybe muddles it just a little. I have no problem with a block call here.

I don't think this play was nearly as definitive as Duke-Syracuse.

blindzebra Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56am

This is what happens when you move away from NFHS toward the NBA in philosophy.

They took a difficult call that came down to LGP vs airborne player to LGP, restricted area vs upward motion. So instead of two pretty much cut and dry judgments you now have one cut and dry, one less so and one that is being interpreted all over the place.

AremRed Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:16am

No call, if I could get away with it. I see the offensive player go to the defender, but the through is very minimal, if anything.

If not, charge. I see the defender establish LGP before upward motion occurs, however like the Duke-Syracuse play the defender appears to be moving forward because he is straightening his knees and standing taller.

BillyMac Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:55pm

Charge ...

In my high school game: Player control foul. I don't know what the heck it would be with the new NCAA rule interpretation, and I don't care (unless it trickles down to the NFHS someday).

Toren Sun Mar 02, 2014 01:16pm

Block

Camron Rust Sun Mar 02, 2014 01:18pm

Block. Defender still moving forward at the time of contact.

Rob1968 Sun Mar 02, 2014 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 925234)
Block. Defender still moving forward at the time of contact.

Camron, it seems his feet are stationary. Is the slight forward movement of his torso, as he straightens up, enough to consider the defender as still moving into the shooter?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 02, 2014 03:50pm

I am a KU guy but if I am the L, we are going the other way with a PCF.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 02, 2014 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 925245)
Camron, it seems his feet are stationary. Is the slight forward movement of his torso, as he straightens up, enough to consider the defender as still moving into the shooter?

Yes. If the defender contacts opponent with his torso when the torso is still moving forward, that is not LGP, just like a lean into the path of an opponent who is slipping buy. I'd consider it different if the defender had already been there and was just "firming up", as some like to call it, but, in this play, he was just jumping into position and didn't get "there" yet.

Rob1968 Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 925264)
Yes. If the defender contacts opponent with his torso when the torso is still moving forward, that is not LGP, just like a lean into the path of an opponent who is slipping buy. I'd consider it different if the defender had already been there and was just "firming up", as some like to call it, but, in this play, he was just jumping into position and didn't get "there" yet.

Thanks, Camron. It's a close one, and this season I've been concentrating on two aspects of such calls:
1) What did the defender do wrong?
2) How do I answer, specifically, if his coach asks me what he did wrong?

AremRed Mon Mar 03, 2014 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 925264)
I'd consider it different if the defender had already been there and was just "firming up", as some like to call it, but, in this play, he was just jumping into position and didn't get "there" yet.

"Firming up" was exactly what he was doing.