The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Coach Rips Refs & Assignor

MI Prep Zone: Fife picks up 600th career win as Clarkston tops North Farmington in overtime WITH TOUT VIDEOS
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

If this were a college game, there would be a fine AND suspension from the conference for that coach....alas, it's HS....nothing of consequence will probably happen...
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
If this were a college game, there would be a fine AND suspension from the conference for that coach....alas, it's HS....nothing of consequence will probably happen...
He may not get much consideration in the future for who is assigned his games. You and I know assignors that have no problem sending back the officials the coach does not like. That could happen here and especially when the coach made this public and not a private conversation.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
He may not get much consideration in the future for who is assigned his games. You and I know assignors that have no problem sending back the officials the coach does not like. That could happen here and especially when the coach made this public and not a private conversation.

Peace
I know assignors who would send them back very soon in such a case.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Coach is an asshat.

Reporter who put that quote in his article is an asshat.

Editors who let it get published are asshats.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Coach is an asshat.

Reporter who put that quote in his article is an asshat.

Editors who let it get published are asshats.
Why is that the case for the reporter or the editor? If that is what the coach said that is what the coach said.

I remember some years ago a coach once said that the "IHSA set us up to lose" or something to that fact and said this after a win in the playoffs. Then the coach accused the IHSA of taking officials of a certain race and suggesting that they were bias towards his team that one. And in the game, the coach's team missed like 7 or 8 FTs down the stretch and made a game close. The coach never mentioned that, but the reporter did. And the reporter gave a rather good description of the final minutes and included stats.

If a coach is going to say that, they need to be shown for their comments. Maybe more context should have been shown, but that is their job to state what is said on the record. And the article made it clear he was not just criticizing the officials, but the person that assigned them there. I think that is brilliant on many levels. The coach is the only one to blame in this case.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

What a passive-aggressive little rat. Blames the officials outright, then tries to congratulate the opposing coach on his 600th win and give his team credit. He should be suspended, but probably won't.

His comments should absolutely be in the paper so everyone can see what kind of person he really is.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

That's embarassing-the coach should be ashamed of making those comments in print.I'm hoping the AD has a conference with the coach about media interviews and to making his/her point suspends him for a game.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:49pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Why is that the case for the reporter or the editor? If that is what the coach said that is what the coach said.

I remember some years ago a coach once said that the "IHSA set us up to lose" or something to that fact and said this after a win in the playoffs. Then the coach accused the IHSA of taking officials of a certain race and suggesting that they were bias towards his team that one. And in the game, the coach's team missed like 7 or 8 FTs down the stretch and made a game close. The coach never mentioned that, but the reporter did. And the reporter gave a rather good description of the final minutes and included stats.

If a coach is going to say that, they need to be shown for their comments. Maybe more context should have been shown, but that is their job to state what is said on the record. And the article made it clear he was not just criticizing the officials, but the person that assigned them there. I think that is brilliant on many levels. The coach is the only one to blame in this case.

Peace
Reporters decide - on a regular basis - what to include and exclude from their articles. This reported did not need to include those comments in an article congratulating a different Coach on his 600th win. The reporter included those comments, imho, in order to create more "buzz" and get more people to read his article. By including those comments, the reporter put stuff out there about those refs and that assignor. That makes the reporter and his editors asshats too.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Reporters decide - on a regular basis - what to include and exclude from their articles. This reported did not need to include those comments in an article congratulating a different Coach on his 600th win. The reporter included those comments, imho, in order to create more "buzz" and get more people to read his article. By including those comments, the reporter put stuff out there about those refs and that assignor. That makes the reporter and his editors asshats too.
Whatever the reasoning, the coach said it. I do not put that on the reporter. It shows lack of class on the coach that tried to take away from the win of the other team by making it about what he felt about the officiating.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Whatever the reasoning, the coach said it. I do not put that on the reporter. It shows lack of class on the coach that tried to take away from the win of the other team by making it about what he felt about the officiating.

Peace
I said the Coach was an asshat for saying it.

The reporter certainly didn't need to put it in the article.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said the Coach was an asshat for saying it.

The reporter certainly didn't need to put it in the article.
The reporter is responsible for reporting what happened, what was said, etc. Blaming the reporter here is like blaming us when a coach gets a T.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 03:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The reporter is responsible for reporting what happened, what was said, etc. Blaming the reporter here is like blaming us when a coach gets a T.
I'm on the fence on this one. Let's not pretend the reporter is putting everything that happened into the article. He gets to pick and choose, that's his job.

That said, freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots. This coach did the association a favor.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 03:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Read what I wrote again. Slowly this time.

Never blamed the reporter for anything. Simply said that the reporter was also an asshat for putting those comments in an article about the other coach winning his 600th game.

But don't let what I actually wrote stop you from making those incredibly acrobatic leaps of logic that you seem to enjoy.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 03:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

rocky, I have to ask. He's an asshat? But he's not to blame?