The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Recruiting New Referees

How does your association get new referees?

What's the process and cost for a newbie to become a referee?
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

We send officers to the various colleges in the area. They go to the rec center and/or IM games and set up a table. We also hit the rec leagues in the area ran by the various cities. In the past we have offered a $10 discount toward the annual membership dues if someone recruits a new official on their own (they must be active and work a minimum number of games).

Those seem to work pretty well. I would guess each year (at least while I was very active) we would get between 60-100 each year. Probably had about a 50% retention for year 2. My guess would be after three years we would have kept about 15-20...enough to keep up with retirements and officials moving away.

The process is they attend a 10 week class (no charge for the class...Wednesday nights at a centrally located HS gym) where we go over the rule book, mechanics, etc. During the scrimmages they work, as a group, 3 boys and 3 girls scrimmages. There are several experienced officials that attend and the new ones work a period, then step off the floor and discuss what they did (right and wrong) with a vet. After that, at each association meeting we have a break-out session where we discuss real game situations and let them ask question about specific things they have encountered or may not have a good grap on.

We also have an evaluation committee that will watch them a couple of times during the season. They do not get the usual formal eval sheet turned in ont them (unless they are really picking it up quickly). Rather the committee member goes over the sheet with them. Lastly, we ask the varsity officials to get to the site early and watch the first half of the sub-varsity games when it is possible so they can offer feedback.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Provisions State ...

http://www.casciac.org/pdfs/getinthegame.pdf
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

I belong to an association of associations (created for training) and we run New Officiating classes in both football and basketball. I am the starter of the basketball class and that helps recruit and train officials. The basketball class is 7 weeks long running until the start of the basketball season.

Also some of the local officials associations do all kinds of break out sessions, camps and other things to help bring in newer officials.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Billy as usual, you are a terrific resource. And thanks also for the other replies.