The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:18am
Courageous When Prudent

New Interp resulting from OSU/TTU

"Play 1- After attempting to block A1’s dunk, B1 falls into the seats/grandstands behind the basket. As B1 attempts to return to the playing court, a fan makes unsporting/derogatory comments to B1 who goes back into the seats to confront the fan and either physically contacts the fan(s) or directs unsporting comments to the fan(s).

RULING- The officials should assess B1 with a flagrant 2 noncontact foul. Any player on Team A may shoot the two free throws with no players on the free throw lane. Play shall be resumed by a Team A throw-in at the division line on either side of the court. B1 is ejected from the game. Rule 10-3.1.h and PENALTY.

COMMENT- The clear intent of Rule 10-1.3.h is to prevent players from leaving the playing court and becoming involved in verbal, physical or any other type of confrontation with fans, team followers mascots or band members.. The playing court is defined by Rule 1-2.1 as “the area on the floor that lies within the geometrical lines formed by the inside edge of the boundary lines.” Accordingly, any time a player leaves the confines of the playing court, either on the endlines or the sidelines, and commits any of the unsporting acts described above, the officials should penalize the infraction per Rule 10-3.1.h.
"
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Interesting that they didn't instruct the officials to go after the player...
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Interesting that they didn't instruct the officials to go after the player...
or the ball
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
or the ball
Ha! Well played . I'm still not hunting down the player in the stands.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling!
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

How is the official to know whether or not B1 directs unsporting comments towards the fans? Sure, he might hear the comments, but in the latest example with Mr. Smart, the official would have had to be in the stands or close enough to the stands to risk the situation Mr. Smart was in.

It also seems like B1 "directing unsporting comments toward the fans" would not be subject to violation of this rule unless B1 goes into the stands.

After having re-read the OP, and noting the Comments section, I withdraw my comments above.

Last edited by SamIAm; Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 03:39pm.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 04:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

From a FB friend of mine who works college diamonds and gridirons, "Can you imagine back in the early 70s - "Say your team is in a Major Bowl game and your team is driving to win and the other team intercepts and the head coach punches the player under his face mask...""
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 05:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
From a FB friend of mine who works college diamonds and gridirons, "Can you imagine back in the early 70s - "Say your team is in a Major Bowl game and your team is driving to win and the other team intercepts and the head coach punches the player under his face mask...""

HEY!! HEY!! Let us not besmirch the name of that fine institute of high learning that has given us The Best Damn Band In The Land!

It would be another thing altogether if you were referring to that school up North, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

No brainer that the athletes should be subject to DQ for encounters with spectators which are way out of line, but the penalty should have nothing to do with where the athlete is standing. Give the officials the discretion to judge the situation solely on the behavior itself, and not be restricted by where it takes place.

Under what is written above a kid who is OOB for a thrown-in and curses at a spectator gets ejected, but one who is one step inbounds and gives him the finger wouldn't get tossed.
What if a kid is inbounds during a timeout and throws a water bottle from the team huddle into the stands?

The NCAA person who wrote this didn't think it through. Very poor construction.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I think this interpretation was in direct response to what Curtis Shaw stated. I do not think the NCAA wants only players that leave the court to be penalized. But this was to give support to if players left the court they could be penalized. I really do not think that this interpretation could not be so narrow to suggest this is the only time a player can be penalized for bad behavior with an interaction with a fan or someone outside of the playing surface.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No brainer that the athletes should be subject to DQ for encounters with spectators which are way out of line, but the penalty should have nothing to do with where the athlete is standing. Give the officials the discretion to judge the situation solely on the behavior itself, and not be restricted by where it takes place.

Under what is written above a kid who is OOB for a thrown-in and curses at a spectator gets ejected, but one who is one step inbounds and gives him the finger wouldn't get tossed.
What if a kid is inbounds during a timeout and throws a water bottle from the team huddle into the stands?

The NCAA person who wrote this didn't think it through. Very poor construction.
To further your point it also needs to take into account bench personnel.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 07:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
To further your point it also needs to take into account bench personnel.
There is clearly cover already to penalize anyone that interacts with bench personnel.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is clearly cover already to penalize anyone that interacts with bench personnel.

Peace
I believe that he meant bench personnel interacting with spectators, not players interacting with bench personnel.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 09:34am
Do not give a damn!!

I still think we have the authority to penalize anyone participating in the game if they go outside the court and interact with the fans or spectators. I do not think this says we only can do so just because they are a player or on the floor by rule. Could there be other information to clarify this? Sure, but I think this was to address a specific supervisor and his public statements. If he did not make the statement that "I do not think we can eject a player that goes into the stands" this interpretation never comes up IMO.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:07am
Courageous When Prudent

The interp was generated to expand on 10-3.1h, which says:

"Leaving the playing court and going into the stands when a fight may break out or has broken out (flagrant noncontact infraction)."

It is not telling us we CAN'T call flagrant fouls for other actions. As JRut said, a supervisor made a comment about why a Technical wasn't call, and the NCAA-M wanted to address that comment.