The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

You big dummy...

Last Saturday I was calling 13-14 year old boys. Great game...athletic teams...very close. I was T, A1 drives the sideline then turns toward the hoop on the drive. As he is gathering the ball for a lay-up B1 reaches in. I see what looks like B1's arm across A1's arm and as I am stepping in I blow my whistle (a split second before my partner blows his). I am raising my fist but my new angle clearly shows B1 has all ball. My partner is giving the jump ball sign and now I know it is not a foul so I yell "Jump" (but remember, my fist is up...didn't think fast enough to open the hand).

So now, I have a confused coach who thinks he should be getting free-throws and a confused partner who is wondering what is going on. To his credit he immediately comes to me and asks if I had a foul first. I explain to him what happened but I don't think he believed me.

I was kicking myself for making such a stupid mistake. Coach was a little "chippy" for a while but I let him go because we were close to halftime and I figured I deserved it. I explained at halftime and suggested we move on and he obliged.

Lesson learned (again)...a patient whistle is your friend.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Not that I would T the coach but I wouldn't let him go at me. Go to him at that moment, tell him what happened and move on ("Coach, I had a jump ball as well, I just came out with the wrong signal."). Done. He'll still complain but at least it's out there.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Not that I would T the coach but I wouldn't let him go at me. Go to him at that moment, tell him what happened and move on ("Coach, I had a jump ball as well, I just came out with the wrong signal."). Done. He'll still complain but at least it's out there.
It wasn't long...a little more than 3 minutes on a running game clock...and he wasn't that bad. Besides, this guy has been coaching since well before my break (absolutely loves working with young players) and rarely says anything and when he does he is quick to shut it down if you let him know he is acting out of character. Given the way it looked I figured it was a just pentence.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Better lesson than a patient whistle is to only call what you can see and not what you can't. Don't guess!

If an official doesn't have an angle from which he can see the defender's hands, that official needs to move to adjust his positioning.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
It wasn't long...a little more than 3 minutes on a running game clock...and he wasn't that bad. Besides, this guy has been coaching since well before my break (absolutely loves working with young players) and rarely says anything and when he does he is quick to shut it down if you let him know he is acting out of character. Given the way it looked I figured it was a just pentence.
3 minutes of game clock is way too long to be complaining about a call. JMF has good advice here.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
3 minutes of game clock is way too long to be complaining about a call. JMF has good advice here.
Advice taken. Keep in mind however that since the clock did not stop (running clock only stops for time outs and all whistles in the last minute of the game) for the rest of the first half we are only talking about 3 minutes of real time.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Better lesson than a patient whistle is to only call what you can see and not what you can't. Don't guess!

If an official doesn't have an angle from which he can see the defender's hands, that official needs to move to adjust his positioning.
And then there is that

Yet another thing I have not done since my first season.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Alternative ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
"Coach, I had a jump ball as well, I just came out with the wrong signal"
Not bad. How about, "Coach. My partner and I got together and discussed it. He saw my foul, but he was 100% sure that the jump ball came before the foul".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 06:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not bad. How about, "Coach. My partner and I got together and discussed it. He saw my foul, but he was 100% sure that the jump ball came before the foul".
I had a Lead who gave a directional signal, but no color, on a pass that he didn't see was tipped by B2. We were right in front of B's bench, so I just came up to him and said, "You pointed the wrong way".