The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

End of UA/ASU Game (Video)

With .7 seconds left in the 2nd OT and ASU player slam dunks the ball do you call the T for hanging on the rim? ASU up by 3 after the dunk. Someone can embend the play later. Thanks

Last edited by paulsonj72; Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 11:53pm.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

If someone is grabbing clips, there's was a block called at about 4:40 remaining in the 2nd half that might generate discussion.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

RE: hanging on the rim with .7 left....I can tell you that John Adams, NCAA National Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials, is on record as saying "don't split hairs" when it comes to hanging on the rim - if a player (opponent OR teammate) is anywhere close to to said player hanging on the rim, do not call a T. Let the player hang for his safety (or even the safety of the players under the rim).

As for the ENTIRE Arizona St. bench (players, coaches, staff, etc.) running onto the floor with 0.7 left in the game.....AS WELL AS SEVERAL HUNDRED STUDENTS FROM THE STANDS....John Adams has also said that no techs should be issued in this situation. I strongly beg to differ on this one - but then again, John Adams never has nor never will ask for my opinion on this one.......
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
RE: hanging on the rim with .7 left....I can tell you that John Adams, NCAA National Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials, is on record as saying "don't split hairs" when it comes to hanging on the rim - if a player (opponent OR teammate) is anywhere close to to said player hanging on the rim, do not call a T. Let the player hang for his safety (or even the safety of the players under the rim).

As for the ENTIRE Arizona St. bench (players, coaches, staff, etc.) running onto the floor with 0.7 left in the game.....AS WELL AS SEVERAL HUNDRED STUDENTS FROM THE STANDS....John Adams has also said that no techs should be issued in this situation. I strongly beg to differ on this one - but then again, John Adams never has nor never will ask for my opinion on this one.......
On the game broadcast the game officials gave the explination to the on air talent as to why no T was issued for the fans storming the court. This explination was also picked up by microphones and heard on the actual broadcast. So in this case you actually heard directly from an official why no T was given for the crowd storming the court
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
.... I strongly beg to differ on this one - but then again, John Adams never has nor never will ask for my opinion on this one.......
He actually personally answered an email of mine once concerning a play he posted.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 06:18am.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:40am
(Something hilarious)

MCall explained basically what the relevant AR's state - that no technical fouls should be assessed for the fans storming the court if they don't prevent the ball from becoming live - since they had stopped the game after the dunk to review the time, there you go.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:45am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
You would have needed an ax to split the hair in this case. I understand not calling it in this situation, but this chin-up had nothing to do with anyone's safety.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:54am
AremRed

Some of you may be able to browse to the play here: ESPN3 -- Arizona vs. Arizona State
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 01:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
With .7 seconds left in the 2nd OT and ASU player slam dunks the ball do you call the T for hanging on the rim? ASU up by 3 after the dunk. Someone can embend the play later. Thanks
That was more than hanging on the rim, he pulled damn near his entire body up. To me he was doing that in celebration, any other time in the game I believe that's an easy T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
If someone is grabbing clips, there's was a block called at about 4:40 remaining in the 2nd half that might generate discussion.
Incorrect call, IMO; defender was there for an eternity and did absolutely nothing wrong.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Great crew...first and foremost.

That's a technical.

Great explanation by McCall. Great job by the game administrators, it didn't take too long to get all those people off the court.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That was more than hanging on the rim, he pulled damn near his entire body up. To me he was doing that in celebration, any other time in the game I believe that's an easy T.
I don't disagree with you. In general why is the T for hanging on the rim not called very much anymore? I've only seen it called once this year and that was an easy call in th Minnesota/Wisconsin game on Thursday night.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
I don't disagree with you. In general why is the T for hanging on the rim not called very much anymore? I've only seen it called once this year and that was an easy call in th Minnesota/Wisconsin game on Thursday night.
This one is hard for me to say it should or should not be a T for hanging on the rim. There are two players under him when he initially hangs on the rim, which rules out the T. My issue is that the area where he can safely come down has cleared out and he is still hanging on the rim. At what point does the safety aspect of the rule (which is a good rule IMO), end and when does the showing off portion of the rule begin?

I agree with not calling a T for the fans storming the court. If the players left the bench area though, prior to the fans storming the court we have a potential issue. If the players left the bench after the fans stormed the court you have an easy argument for not issuing a T for the safety of the players.

I would add this. The Pac 12 should sanction ASU for the fans storming the court. This shouldn't be a game official action, but it should be a post-game situation.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

A pull up IS NOT hanging on the rim for safety. It's a PULL UP. That's a T.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You would have needed an ax to split the hair in this case. I understand not calling it in this situation, but this chin-up had nothing to do with anyone's safety.
Watch the play again (while holding your axe) to see his own teammate directly underneath him. In the NCAA's view, once a player is remotely near the area where a dunking player would land, let him hang for safety.