The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 09:48am
Archaic Power Monger

Finally watched this on the computer instead of my phone. I still have a PC.

I see two feet down and in the path establishing her LGP. I don't think she gets a chance to move her torso forward before she's contacted.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:44pm
Official & Member

I'm in the BLOCK camp, but I could live with a PC.

Travel call is awful here. I'd love to hear his thought process as to how he came up with it.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

At a college women's camp two years ago, a D-1 clinician said, "Try not to put a crooked number on the scoreboard."

The translation was, if you can find a travel or out-of-bounds violation, that is preferable to calling a foul.

There remain many "expectations" of officials that do not fully match the rule book.

As JetMet said, there is a prevailing attitude "if someone hits the floor, let's make sure we have a whistle." It does not require illegal contact for this whistle, simply an expectation from coaches and conference coordinators that "train wrecks" and other plays with bodies on the floor MUST be accompanied by a whistle.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
At a college women's camp two years ago, a D-1 clinician said, "Try not to put a crooked number on the scoreboard."
Are you trying to make an argument for putting turnovers on the scoreboard ?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Finally watched this on the computer instead of my phone. I still have a PC.

I see two feet down and in the path establishing her LGP. I don't think she gets a chance to move her torso forward before she's contacted.
Another point that supports a conclusion opposite the conclusion you made.

Getting two feet down in such a movement pretty much guarantees that the torso is still going to be moving forward to come up over the feet before they can get stopped.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Getting two feet down in such a movement pretty much guarantees that the torso is still going to be moving forward to come up over the feet before they can get stopped.
Except in this case I cannot see any forward movement by her torso so no I don't think it supports that at all. I'm saying she didn't have the chance to even start moving her torso forward before being contacted.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Except in this case I cannot see any forward movement by her torso so no I don't think it supports that at all. I'm saying she didn't have the chance to even start moving her torso forward before being contacted.
If her torso wasn't moving forward, she would be falling backwards. The movement you suggest isn't possible. You can't jump forward with your feet without your torso following.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 03:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
If her torso wasn't moving forward, she would be falling backwards. The movement you suggest isn't possible. You can't jump forward with your feet without your torso following.
I just watched the video again. Her torso is not moving forward at contact. It actually looks like she's starting to fall backwards when she's contacted.

At any rate I do not have her moving into the dribbler.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 03:45pm
Official & Member

Quote:

The translation was, if you can find a travel or out-of-bounds violation, that is preferable to calling a foul...
I can buy that where you have marginal contact or an oob/push near a sideline or endline. This was a good collision on a drive. Travel just feels wrong on this one.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

The translation was, if you can find a travel or out-of-bounds violation, that is preferable to calling a foul.

There remain many "expectations" of officials that do not fully match the rule book.

As JetMet said, there is a prevailing attitude "if someone hits the floor, let's make sure we have a whistle." It does not require illegal contact for this whistle, simply an expectation from coaches and conference coordinators that "train wrecks" and other plays with bodies on the floor MUST be accompanied by a whistle.
I can buy this. The key for me is, "If you can find..." No matter how hard I look, I can't find it here. I don't even think the most trigger-happy travel-calling official among us could find a travel on the tape.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just watched the video again. Her torso is not moving forward at contact. It actually looks like she's starting to fall backwards when she's contacted.
That is only because the opponents torso was there to prevent her from going forward anymore.

Bring versatility in to the discussion here. Can a player be in a legal position with their feet not below their torso?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Block
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 05:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is only because the opponents torso was there to prevent her from going forward anymore.
I don't agree but I'm not going to belabor the point any more. We simply see this play differently.

Quote:
Bring versatility in to the discussion here. Can a player be in a legal position with their feet not below their torso?
The fact that the contact is to her torso makes this close enough for me on her verticality. If she had contacted an outstretched leg first then I think this could be a consideration.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Put me in the PC group, but I don't think you would catch a lot of flak for a block here either.

Definitely not a travel.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

My reaction watching the film full speed was block all the way. D looks to be coming forward. Travel is such a cop out.