The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Free-thrower positioned extreme right

Girls JV game and foul on a shooter. Line up for 2 shots and ready to administer the ball when shooter A1 takes 2 steps to her right and positioned only one foot from defensive player. I had never seen this before,but by rule I thought it was all legal. Defensive girl B1 looks at the free-thrower and then to me with a "what the" look.I steped in and advised the defender that for sure let's not have any contact. I was hoping to cover my butt,because I was not certain of how to handle a foul on a free-thrower. A1 shot right handed and was 6 of 6 for the night so to her credit it works for her.
During a time-out coach complains that the shooter is taking his defender out of the game by being so close. I could only respond that I thought it was all legal. Anyone with a similar experience or just expand on the possibilities?
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

The FT shooter can shoot from anywhere in the FT 1/2 circle. As to a foul, I cannot envision a foul until rebound action.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS 9-1-1

The try shall be attempted from within the free-throw semicircle and behind the free-throw line.
I've seen it a few times over the years and my only thought has been, "Why the heck would you want to shoot off-center?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
I stepped in and advised the defender that for sure let's not have any contact. I was hoping to cover my butt, because I was not certain of how to handle a foul on a free-thrower.
Why even say this? Once you put the idea in the player's head trouble can follow. As for how to handle it, there's nothing in the rule book covering contact with a FT shooter. My first thought would be to invoke 2-3 and call an intentional foul on the defender as well as a FT violation for disconcertion.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sun Feb 09, 2014 at 09:54pm.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I've seen it a few times over the years and my only thought has been, "Why the heck would you want to shoot off-center?"
Like I said it must have been her sweet spot (6 of 6) at the line. And possibly it gets the defense a little out of sorts and less rebounding for them.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 10:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The FT shooter can shoot from anywhere in the FT 1/2 circle. As to a foul, I cannot envision a foul until rebound action.
What if B3 raises her arms, like defenders along the lane usually do, and she loses her balance and touches A1's shooting arm during the try?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What if B3 raises her arms, like defenders along the lane usually do, and she loses her balance and touches A1's shooting arm during the try?
This was my point exactly.What would penality be? If defense violates and the basket is missed we would allow another free throw if missed,but if the thrower is violated???? No rule to help here.
A one point made basket would = a single free throw?
A one point missed try would = a single free throw?
Contact as if on a thrower-in = intentional and ball?

If this caught on we could possibly see more of this. Way to think out of the box coach.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm probably just calling it disconcertion the first time.

If it continues, it's *also*either an intentional foul (two shots plus the ball), or an unsporting T.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
i'm probably just calling it disconcertion the first time.

If it continues, it's *also*either an intentional foul (two shots plus the ball), or an unsporting t.
+1
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 09:54am
Stubborn Member

I had a teammate in high school that would shoot free throws from the right side of the free throw line in practice, and bank them into the hoop. He was really good at it. However, he never attempted that during a game.