The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 04:40pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I think you are confusing incidental with minimal. Incidental contact is by definition not a foul. Minimal contact may or may not be a foul.
One definition of "incidental" is that something is liable to happen as a consequence of an activity. The intent of the activity is not to trip or foul the defender, but that is indeed what happens.

So the question is... is it legal for the shooter to kick his feet out like he did?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
One definition of "incidental" is that something is liable to happen as a consequence of an activity.
Maybe, but here we would tend to use the rules book definition so as not to cause confusion.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 05:06pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe, but here we would tend to use the rules book definition so as not to cause confusion.
You're right.

The defender jumping into that space can be considered a normal defensive movement. If the defender jumped into space that the shooter had legally occupied, then a foul on the shooter can not be called. But that's not the case. Therefore I see that the contact was caused because of the shooter kicking his feet out into that space, and such contact tripped the defender.

The fact the defender could have gotten injured should not be a factor... that is right. But the trip is an illegal act, and penalizing it can help prevent something like this happening again in the future. And a possible future trip may not end as well. Hence... preventing injury.