The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Fifth Element ...

The thread on "fifth foul" mechanics got my thinking.

Blue team versus white team. Each team has an all-state seven footer, while all the other players, on both teams, are six feet, or less.

Third period. For whatever reason, blue has used all of their timeouts. For whatever reason (catch their breath, don't pick up another foul, etc.), both seven footers are on the bench. Blue has a six foot forward at the table ready to substitute at the next opportunity.

White's five foot two point guard picks up is fifth foul. Official reports the foul to the table, is told by the table that it's the player's fifth foul, the official tells the white coach about the fifth foul, and then tells the table to start the twenty second replacement clock. Warning horn sounds after five seconds. A split second before the twenty second horn sounds, white coach sends in the seven footer to replace the little point guard. Official beckons in both the white seven footer, and the blue six foot forward.

It's too late for the blue coach to send in his seven footer. Now the white team has a distinct advantage with nobody to guard the seven footer.

Is this the way the replacement rule works? I know that the replacement interval is not a timeout, but I'm often perplexed by the subtleties of this rule. During this twenty second replacement time interval, when can we let substitutes in, and which substitutes can we let in, and when is it too late to let anybody in? Man, I'm so confused. Please help me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 05, 2014 at 05:22pm.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 05:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The thread on "fifth foul" mechanics got my thinking.

Blue team versus white team. Each team has an all-state seven footer, while all the other players, on both teams, are six feet, or less.

Third period. For whatever reason, blue has used all of their timeouts. For whatever reason (catch their breath, don't pick up another foul, etc.), both seven footers are on the bench. Blue has a six foot forward at the table ready to substitute at the next opportunity.

White's five foot two point guard picks up is fifth foul. Official reports the foul to the table, is told by the table that it's the player's fifth foul, the official tells the white coach about the fifth foul, and then tells the table to start the twenty second replacement clock. Warning horn sounds after five seconds. A split second before the twenty second horn sounds, white coach sends in the seven footer to replace the little point guard. Official beckons in both the white seven footer, and the blue six foot forward.

It's too late for the blue coach to send in his seven footer. Now the white team has a distinct advantage with nobody to guard the seven footer.

Is this the way the replacement rule works? I know that the replacement interval is not a timeout, but I'm often perplexed by the subtleties of this rule. During this twenty second replacement time interval, when can we let substitutes in, and which substitutes can we let in, and when is it too late to let anybody in? Man, I'm so confused. Please help me.
It's never too late. Why would it be? You have a dead ball and if someone runs a sub up to the table, you're bringing that sub in.

The exception would be on a multiple shot foul -- if the sub isn't waiting at the table when you bring in the replacement for the DQed player, he waits until the normal time to come in -- which is still before it would really matter.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone can sub during the interval. Think of it as any other time you allow substitutes. What's so difficult?
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 05:50pm
Esteemed Participant

I think he is comparing this to the warning horn just before the end of a timeout...
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I concur with the others. The 20 sec interval is not the same as a charged time out ... normal substitution rules apply. Sidenote: what can't or shouldn't happen is grant a time-out to either team until after the sub for the DQ'd player has reported.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid Warning Horn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's never too late.You have a dead ball and if someone runs a sub up to the table, you're bringing that sub in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Anyone can sub during the interval. Think of it as any other time you allow substitutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I think he is comparing this to the warning horn just before the end of a timeout...
Thanks guys. rockyroad hit the nail on the head, it was the warning horn after five seconds that was confusing me, and, as you all know, after my 11,000 posts, I'm easily confused.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)