The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5th foul sub mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97186-5th-foul-sub-mechanic.html)

deecee Wed Feb 05, 2014 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 921468)
Before I'm done with this thread one question.

Why do you keep using the word "scared"? or big scary coach?

You are the only one that used it in this thread. They call that projection in many circles.

Because the sentiment is to *NOT* anger or annoy the coach anymore. All the reasons given have been to appease the coach, therefore the safe assumption is to avoid confrontation because the coach *may* get out of hand. Not projection, just some assumption and conclusions.

Adam Wed Feb 05, 2014 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 921471)
Because the sentiment is to *NOT* anger or annoy the coach anymore. All the reasons given have been to appease the coach, therefore the safe assumption is to avoid confrontation because the coach *may* get out of hand. Not projection, just some assumption and conclusions.

While I agree 99% of the time, it isn't an issue, and most of us are quite capable of dealing with most of the other 1%, I don't agree with your assumptions here. They're unwarranted.

Rob1968 Thu Feb 06, 2014 02:06am

Let's check the source

NFHS Officials Manual CREW OF TWO
2.4.2 H. Disqualification Procedure:
1. The non-calling official shall notify the coach and request the timer to begin the replacement interval, and then notify the disqualified player.

Curious, isn't it?

PS: The only reason I would want my partner to inform the coach is that I'd hate to write the report to our assignor if I had to toss him/her for an unbecoming response. . .

BillyMac Thu Feb 06, 2014 06:54am

Noncalling Official ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 921510)
NFHS ... The non-calling official shall notify the coach and request the timer to begin the replacement interval, and then notify the disqualified player.

So? Of the two major set of mechanics, nationally, one insists that the noncalling official deal with the coach, and the other gives the option of the noncalling official dealing with the coach.

Interesting. There has to be a commmon reason for this mechanic. Very interesting.

Of course we know that there are a lot of state, and local, mechanics sets out there, so, as usual, when in Rome ...

Rich1 Fri Feb 07, 2014 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 921471)
Because the sentiment is to *NOT* anger or annoy the coach

I don't particularly care wether I anger or annoy the coach. I am simply enforcing the rules of basketball and administering them according to approved mechanics. If this evokes further reaction from a coach that needs to be handled, I'll handle it. I am very careful to always be professional and to appear very calm in these situations so that the coach has nothing to use as amunition for a real complaint. As we say in my chapter all the time, you will never get zapped for going be the book or for using sound judgemennt but you will get zapped for kicking a rule, poor mechanics, or unprofessionalism.

Rich1 Fri Feb 07, 2014 01:16pm

Inform coach first

The reason I tell the coach as soon as I am notified by the table, start the timer, and THEN tell the player is because the player becomes bench personnel as soon as coach is notified. Any unsporting actions by this player could now cause the coach an indirect T which helps motivate the coach to get him off the vourt and to control his behavior. I consider this to be one of the many tools we have been given to mannage and control the game.

BillyMac Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32am

I Just Remembered This Thread Starter ...

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post686961

Maybe if I had allowed my partner inform the coach that it was his player's fifth foul, the situation wouldn't have deteriorated as it did?

Or maybe I made a mistake by saying, "That's enough coach."?

Or maybe I should have run away for him after saying, "That's enough coach."?

Or, maybe the coach was just an idiot, and nothing would have prevented his ejection?

You know what, it's been four years, and I'm still glad that I ran his ass out of the gym.

Sometimes you just throw "game management" out the window, and give 'em the old heave ho.