The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

5th foul sub mechanic

#10 incurs 5th and is a shooting foul. Is sub brought in before or after 1st foul shot?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachNRef View Post
#10 incurs 5th and is a shooting foul. Is sub brought in before or after 1st foul shot?
Immediately upon being notified it is his 5th foul. Bring all other reported subs in at the same time.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:36am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
"Proper" mechanic is to notify partner(s), coach (which triggers the 20 sec replacement interval and makes player "bench personnel"), and finally, player.
Get sub and continue with FT administration.

There is no recourse or possible corrections if this procedure is not followed and no impact on free throws that may follow, so don't ask!!!!.
Player is not DQ unless and until coach is notified.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:37am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Before.

Table notifies you that it's the player's 5th foul.
You notify the coach that it's the player's 5th foul (at this point, the player is considered bench personnel for purposes of Technical Fouls and such).
You tell the table to start the 20-second replacement interval.
Coach sends in a substitute for fouled-out player, substitute enters game. (If there are any other substitutes waiting to enter, bring them in at this point also).
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

If he doesn't make a sub available right away, order timer to time "20 seconds, give a horn after 5," and stand on the division line between sideline and center circle.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
If he doesn't make a sub available right away, order timer to time "20 seconds, give a horn after 5," and stand on the division line between sideline and center circle.
I don't even wait. "Coach, that's 5. Timer, go." No time to stand anywhere, cause the warning horn is at 5 seconds and that interval is stressed by me in my pregame with the timer. There's no time for a free timeout if a fifth foul is handled properly.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents

I actually pre-game who is going to administer the 5th foul.

In these parts, we go opposite table, so the calling official will be the new C. The trail sometimes handles the 5th foul administration and the new C will just go away.

Or occassionally the new C will stay and finish out the administration.

I don't really have a preference, but I like to know before the game who is doing what.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I actually pre-game who is going to administer the 5th foul.

In these parts, we go opposite table, so the calling official will be the new C. The trail sometimes handles the 5th foul administration and the new C will just go away.

Or occassionally the new C will stay and finish out the administration.

I don't really have a preference, but I like to know before the game who is doing what.
My pregame (when I remember) is "If it's a problem, go away and let someone else deal with it. If they're just fouling to stop the clock and everyone knows it, stay and deal with it."

It's just not that hard to adjust.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 08:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Before.

Table notifies you that it's the player's 5th foul.
You notify the coach that it's the player's 5th foul (at this point, the player is considered bench personnel for purposes of Technical Fouls and such).
You tell the table to start the 20-second replacement interval.
Coach sends in a substitute for fouled-out player, substitute enters game. (If there are any other substitutes waiting to enter, bring them in at this point also).
Also need to notify your partners that the player is disqualified so that your partners don't start administering the free throws or throw-in. Also, supposed to notifiy the disqualified player after starting the 20-second clock.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 10:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Does anyone always make an attempt to have the non-calling official do the administration or informing the coach and starting the clock?

I was just wondering because when we first went table side under the mechanics, many people were always trying to tell the coach through the non-calling official. Now, no one cares anymore. It makes absolutely no difference to me other than saying time, but most of the time in my games or with my partners the calling official tells the coach.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 11:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

That's 25's Fifth Foul Coach ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Does anyone always make an attempt to have the non-calling official do the administration or informing the coach and starting the clock?
From my pregame: Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.

And, at least up until now, it's never been a problem.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't even wait. "Coach, that's 5. Timer, go." No time to stand anywhere, cause the warning horn is at 5 seconds and that interval is stressed by me in my pregame with the timer. There's no time for a free timeout if a fifth foul is handled properly.
To tag onto your comment. I don't rush to start clock nor do I take my time. I try and say start the clock loud enough that coach is aware. I grab the extra seconds by making sure partners are aware, either in bounding or at the line.

That said, I had a game with Bob the other night and probably did none of the above.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From my pregame: Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.

And, at least up until now, it's never been a problem.
What's the problem? You trying to do your job and a coach who can't control himself acting like a fool? I'll inform the coach/table/player on all 5th fouls that I call. I don't care if a coach is a "problem" or not. That's my job to deal with it.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
What's the problem? You trying to do your job and a coach who can't control himself acting like a fool? I'll inform the coach/table/player on all 5th fouls that I call. I don't care if a coach is a "problem" or not. That's my job to deal with it.
There's a pretty good saying that I like

Manage the unavoidable and
Avoid the unmanageable.

This sometimes falls under the second one. If a coach is really going to go off, it looks like money if the non-calling official whacks him. If I just made the call and then I go and tell the coach and then I whack him...that might be perceived as my issue.

Just food for thought.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2014, 12:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
To tag onto your comment. I don't rush to start clock nor do I take my time. I try and say start the clock loud enough that coach is aware. I grab the extra seconds by making sure partners are aware, either in bounding or at the line.

That said, I had a game with Bob the other night and probably did none of the above.
The table notifies me. I turn to the coach, say "That's 5." Then I start the clock from the same position, THEN I make sure my partners and player know. By then, we've already had the first horn and a sub better be on the way to the table to report.

If the team has enough time to, essentially, have a free 30-second timeout, I'm not doing my job.