The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 10:11am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
A1, in the frontcourt, near the division line, throws a bounce pass across the court such that the ball bounces in the backcourt very near the division line and then bounces in the frontcourt. A2, in the frontcourt, also near the division line, catches the ball. Neither player was ever in the backcourt, the ball was in the frontcourt at the time each player touched it. Yet, it is a violation.

Reverse the positions such that the players are both in the backcourt and the pass bounces in the frontcourt. Also a violation even though neither player was ever in the frontcourt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What Camron said, plus the play from the case book where A1 in the BC throws the ball that hits the official in the FC. The ball caroms to the BC where A1 recovers. Violation.
Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
By rule, the original post is a backcourt violation.
By rule, it is not a violation. A single touch can't be the last touch before it goes into the backcourt and the first touch after it goes into the backcourt.

By interpretation (that is contrary to the rule), it could be.

Me, I'm going with the rule. It has been unchanged for a very long time.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By rule, it is not a violation. A single touch can't be the last touch before it goes into the backcourt and the first touch after it goes into the backcourt.

By interpretation (that is contrary to the rule), it could be.

Me, I'm going with the rule. It has been unchanged for a very long time.
Whether we agree/disagree with the wording of the rule vs the interpretation, the federation has decided the play should be ruled a violation. We all have seen where their wording can sometimes cause confusion instead of clarification ... like when they changed the "team control on a throw-in" rule. And the wording still has a hole or two in it.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:15pm
Stubborn Member

As soon as the ball is deflected by B1 and is heading towards the backcourt, we are supposed to signal a tipped ball. Right? And if that's the case, and we still call the BC violation, what was the point of the signal?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Who gives the ball backcourt status? A1 does.

Backcourt violation.

Don't we do this argument every year? Until the interpretation changes, I'm not ruling any differently.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1, in the frontcourt, near the division line, throws a bounce pass across the court such that the ball bounces in the backcourt very near the division line and then bounces in the frontcourt. A2, in the frontcourt, also near the division line, catches the ball. Neither player was ever in the backcourt, the ball was in the frontcourt at the time each player touched it. Yet, it is a violation.
Case play reference please?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post

Backcourt violation.

Don't we do this argument every year? Until the interpretation changes, I'm not ruling any differently.
A1 giving the ball a backcourt status is not a violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
A1 giving the ball a backcourt status is not a violation.
I don't recall saying Backcourt Status Violation.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't recall saying Backcourt Status Violation.
Forgive me if I read this wrong, but it sounded like you're justifying the interpretation when you asked and answered who give the ball a backcourt status.

Quote:

Backcourt violation.
The violation has never been for A1 giving the ball a backcourt status...if that were true, then A1 simply throwing the ball into the backcourt would be a violation as soon as the ball hit in the backcourt.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Forgive me if I read this wrong, but it sounded like you're justifying the interpretation when you asked and answered who give the ball a backcourt status.
I was mostly playing word games.

I don't get paid enough to justify the interpretation.

But the interpretation is there and I don't see any reason to ignore it.

Incidentally, Art Hyland, John Adams and Peter Webb have all said the interpretation is correct.

Last edited by Toren; Tue Feb 04, 2014 at 02:36pm.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:35pm
Archaic Power Monger

We've been discussing this for so long I don't remember but did this interpretation ever make it to the case book?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We've been discussing this for so long I don't remember but did this interpretation ever make it to the case book?
No.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
No, they didn't put that play in the casebook. But, they added this one where they made a point to state that the ball hit the floor first. Seems to me that they could have just as easily cleaned up the wording ...

*9.9.1 SITUATION C: A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A’s frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A’s backcourt where it touches the floor. A2 recovers in the backcourt. RULING: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of A1 and Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if that were true, then A1 simply throwing the ball into the backcourt would be a violation as soon as the ball hit in the backcourt.
Perhaps it should be! Wouldn't it all be a lot easier to rewrite the whole mess such that if the ball is in the frontcourt, and A causes it to touch the ground behind the halfcourt line, blow the whistle and throw in for B.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Frankly, I wouldn't hold it against anyone either way. Aside from the interp, though (which is how old now?), there's no justification for calling this a violation. In fact, the rule is quite clearly the opposite.

It's as if they added an interpretation that stated it was a travel to lift the pivot foot. It's contrary to the rule as written.