The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Need some help...

I may have kicked something Saturday after I ran an assistant. Since I am just coming back I don't have current books and cannot find the old ones. I know that the head coach can select the person to shoot the free throws for a technical and since there was an ejection for not knowing when to stop complaining there obviously were two technicals given to the assistant.

1) If the HC wants someone on the bench to take some of the shots can he substitute before the shots are taken for the first technical?
2) If not, can he substitute after the first of the two shots (substitutes can enter before the administration of the last free throw for a foul)?
3) Can the coach have one player shoot the first free throw and a different player shoot the second when shooting FTs or a T?

I you could, please give me a rule cite. We allowed a sub to enter and that player shot the FTs for the second T. My partner (very new) and I debated this afterwards and I think I got it right. But it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that I messed that up.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 02:31pm
M.A.S.H.

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.

8-3
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

Edit:

2003-2004 Rules Interp

SITUATION 13: Technical foul shooter A1 attempts the first free throw and substitute A6 attempts the second. RULING: Legal. Technical foul free throws may be attempted by any player or eligible substitute. Therefore, two different players may attempt the throws. (8-3)

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 02:35pm.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I may have kicked something Saturday after I ran an assistant. Since I am just coming back I don't have current books and cannot find the old ones. I know that the head coach can select the person to shoot the free throws for a technical and since there was an ejection for not knowing when to stop complaining there obviously were two technicals given to the assistant.

1) If the HC wants someone on the bench to take some of the shots can he substitute before the shots are taken for the first technical?
2) If not, can he substitute after the first of the two shots (substitutes can enter before the administration of the last free throw for a foul)?
3) Can the coach have one player shoot the first free throw and a different player shoot the second when shooting FTs or a T?

I you could, please give me a rule cite. We allowed a sub to enter and that player shot the FTs for the second T. My partner (very new) and I debated this afterwards and I think I got it right. But it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that I messed that up.
In HS, any eligible* player or sub can shoot any of the FTs for a T. So, you could have had 4 different players, all of whom were on the bench to start, shoot the FTs here.

* -- Note that if a player has left the game and the clock hasn't run, s/he's not eligible to reenter.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not allowing a substitute to enter until just before the last FT only applies to PERSONAL fouls.

Sorry, don't have time to look it up but I assure you, that's the rule.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I found the current rule book online in PDF format. Even though I couldn't save it to my computer I did bookmark it. Thanks to tjones1 I found the cite.

Glad to see I still have a mind like a steel trap.

Too bad it is often slapped shut
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In HS, any eligible* player or sub can shoot any of the FTs for a T. So, you could have had 4 different players, all of whom were on the bench to start, shoot the FTs here.

* -- Note that if a player has left the game and the clock hasn't run, s/he's not eligible to reenter.
Bob, are you saying here, for instance, if A6 replaces A1 for the sole purpose of shooting the T(s), that A1 now cannot re-enter until the clock has run next (after all the T's are shot and ball put back into play)? A7 could replace A6, but A1 could not, correct? I knew the rule, but somehow never thought about it applying in this situation where the HC may want a guy to come out just so a very good ft shooter could come in just for the T.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Bob, are you saying here, for instance, if A6 replaces A1 for the sole purpose of shooting the T(s), that A1 now cannot re-enter until the clock has run next (after all the T's are shot and ball put back into play)? A7 could replace A6, but A1 could not, correct? I knew the rule, but somehow never thought about it applying in this situation where the HC may want a guy to come out just so a very good ft shooter could come in just for the T.
That is correct.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
That is correct.
Same ruling for NCAA?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:53pm
This IS My Social Life

I Want to Check You for Ticks -- Brad Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
...if A6 replaces A1 for the sole purpose of shooting the T(s), that A1 now cannot re-enter until the clock has run next...
"Must 'Sit a Tick', but Doesn't Have to 'Play a Tick'"

3-3-4 - "A player who has been replaced...shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement."

(tho' I'm not Bob...maybe await his more adroit response)
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said I knew that rule, just never thought about it in dealing with multiple T's, where different players could be coming in and out.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give That Man A Cigar ...

Quote:
I found the current rule book online in PDF format. Even though I couldn't save it to my computer I did bookmark it.
Current? PDF? Can you copy, and paste? Please post the link.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Current? PDF? Can you copy, and paste? Please post the link.
No, no he can't and please don't ask again.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why View Post
No, no he can't and please don't ask again.
Why not (he asked politely)? And feel free to private message me if you wish.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why not (he asked politely)? And feel free to private message me if you wish.
Me too
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that the head coach can select the person to shoot the free throws for a technical and since there was an ejection for not knowing when to stop complaining there obviously were two technicals given to the assistant.
Its not obvious there were two T's on the assistant unless you actually whacked him twice...one T is all you need for an ejection(flagrant).