The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 08:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Arrow OT - John Feinstein - How to Make College Basketball Better

College basketball games are too long, but quick fixes could be made - The Washington Post

From the article:

Issue: The notion that every player must slap every teammate’s hand after his first free throw is maddening. It also slows the game down even more.

Issue: End Game - After a team’s 12th foul, make any foul three shots. And, after a team’s 15th foul, give the team that is fouled two shots and the ball.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 08:32am
Do not give a damn!!

I stopped listening to this clown years ago. Not sure I want to listen to him now. He as usual is trying to act like he knows more about the game than those that are directly around the game.

He lost me totally when he said the NCAA told officials how to call a "Block" rather than knowing the rule changed to make situations a block. I honestly d not care about the rest of his suggestions when he is that stupid.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:04pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Issue: The notion that every player must slap every teammate’s hand after his first free throw is maddening. It also slows the game down even more.
The ironic thing is, the warning process takes longer than slapping itself. We're taught to only warn if they're slowing down the game.

Quote:
Issue: End Game - After a team’s 12th foul, make any foul three shots. And, after a team’s 15th foul, give the team that is fouled two shots and the ball.
The whole reason behind the "double bonus" is to deter teams from fouling down the stretch. Has it worked?
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The ironic thing is, the warning process takes longer than slapping itself. We're taught to only warn if they're slowing down the game.

The whole reason behind the "double bonus" is to deter teams from fouling down the stretch. Has it worked?
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with fouling down the stretch. It's an acceptable part of the game and has been for a long time.

Solution seeking a problem, as usual.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Another solution in search of a problem, it seems. I rarely see more than 1 or 2 fouls in this situation. It typically either works or spreads the lead enough to put it completely out of reach.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

"Issue: The notion that every player must slap every teammate’s hand after his first free throw is maddening. It also slows the game down even more."

This guy better stay away from girl's softball or volleyball or he's liable to go batshit insane.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 03:39pm
Administrator

Issue #1: See the NCAA Rules Book. NCAA R4-S17-A1d: A delay is any action that impedes the progress or continuity of the game. Such actions include, but are not limited to: Repeatedly delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly put into play, such as delaying the administration of a throw-in or free throw by engaging in a team huddle anywhere on the playing court (See Rule 10-S2-A5b, which states: After a team warning has been issued, repeatedly delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly put in play, such as delaying the administration of a throw-in or free throw by engaging in a team huddle anyplace on the playing court. PENALTY: (Art. 4 and 5) Two free throws awarded to the offended team. The ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption.).

This solution is no different that in the NFHS Rules Book. The real problem is at the JrHS and HS level: Officials do NOT enforce the rule from the beginning of the game; maybe it is time it becomes a POE in both the NFHS and NCAA Rules books. The NFHS rule has been in the book for close to twenty years and yet I have coaches tell me that they have never heard of such a rule. And this is not a sexist statement but girls' teams are worse than boys' teams when it comes to violating this rule. I have yet to charge a team with a TF for this infraction but MTD, Jr., and I do issue the Official Warnings when appropriate as specified in NFHS R4-S47.

Issue #2: I have talked with officiating friends for years with awarding three FTs starting with the 13th foul of the half, but everybody things it is too extreme for a penalty.

Mark, Jr., and I had an afternoon game yesterday and listened to the Duke-Syracuse (Syracusa for "our" friends; look up the rules for being in the Costra Nostra or Mafia, .) on our ride home. Bob Valvano was the color commentator for ESPN on the game and he freely discussed the possibility of Syracuse fouling to prevent Duke from attempting a three-point FG.

Just two items that the Rules Committees should look at for next year.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Regarding Issue #2. As a student of the game (very few people know that I can claim to come from an coaching background) and I do not have a problem with a team fouling at the end of the game. But I would like to see a "triple" bonus, if you will, adopted in the future, because I think at a certain point in the game, a team giving up two FTs to keep a team from scoring a three-point FG is an unbalance in the rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 04:21pm. Reason: Add P.S.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had a team try to foul early when up by 3 with 4 seconds left. Unfortunately, by the time they actually fouled the kid, he had started his shooting motion with about .9 left.

Kid missed the first FT though.
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

Just two items that the Rules Committees should look at for next year.

MTD, Sr.
I hope the rules committee has more important things to look at than players holding up the FT administration by a whole five seconds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:22pm
Administrator

I have added a P.S. to my OP.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I hope the rules committee has more important things to look at than players holding up the FT administration by a whole five seconds.

APG:

I do not believe the rule needs to be changed, I just think that it should be a POE. Nothing bugs me more that to be ready to administer a FT and I have to wait while because the FT Thrower has to slap five with her four teammates. If officials would just make one "unofficial" warning the first time it happens, 90% of the time it won't happen again, and if an Official warning is issued the next time it will not happen again period. Players learn very quickly.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The triple bonus wouldn't do anything. Most times, when a team is ahead by three and ready to foul, they aren't anywhere near 13 or 15 fouls for the half. It would only be effective for this tactic by random chance.

Unless you are going to suggest three shots for a team trailing by three when there is a common foul with less than 5 seconds left (or some other arbitrary parameters).
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
APG:

I do not believe the rule needs to be changed, I just think that it should be a POE. Nothing bugs me more that to be ready to administer a FT and I have to wait while because the FT Thrower has to slap five with her four teammates. If officials would just make one "unofficial" warning the first time it happens, 90% of the time it won't happen again, and if an Official warning is issued the next time it will not happen again period. Players learn very quickly.

MTD, Sr.
It'd be a waste of a POE if you ask me...I've never heard anyone complain about having to wait a few extra seconds to administer FT's. I think the rule is fine as it is...for situations that are truly causing a real appreciable delay in the game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 04:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Teams will still foul even if they give them 3 shots. Especially if the total is close. It is not going to change things that drastically. And that is not the reason the games are taking longer in closer games for example.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 02, 2014, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Three FTs may be a bit much, but I could see going to a 3-to-make-2 type of bonus.