The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Injury During Rebound Scrum

Shot goes up, and during rebounding action, A1 goes down with an injury on one side of the lane. By this time, the rebounding scrum is on the other side of the paint (player is safely alone).

Do you:

1. Blow the whistle immediately and go to the arrow?
2. Wait to see who gets the ball and decide at that time?
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

A scrum is a scrum --- you don't know what direction that's going after the next time the ball gets redirected. Kill it if it's not immediately apparent that this kid is getting up.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

HTBT, but I lean toward waiting.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:45pm
Stubborn Member

If there's a chance the player is hurt, or could get hurt, I'm killing it. Their safety is #1. If a coach doesn't understand that then he's the problem... not me.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am with Bob. Unless a player is squirting blood, I think we can wait a second or two.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
htbt, but i lean toward waiting.
+1
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I am leaning toward killing it out of an abundance of caution. I guess the question would be who would get the ball if it is a scrum. I don't have books with me (and cannot remember if it is even addressed), but I am thinking we go to the arrow if my partner(s) cannot say for certain who had the ball.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 02:35pm
Stubborn Member

I should have also added that it depends on the level. The lower the level, the better chance I kill it right away. By the time I get to the Varsity level or higher, then I'm going to wait a second or so... as long as the player on the ground isn't in immediate danger.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I should have also added that it depends on the level. The lower the level, the better chance I kill it right away. By the time I get to the Varsity level or higher, then I'm going to wait a second or so... as long as the player on the ground isn't in immediate danger.
Had a play during a girls CYO game a couple years ago. A1 is dribbling and A2 comes over to set a pick. A2 stumbles and accidently collides with A1, both go down. The ball pops out, B1 grabs it, goes down the court for an uncontested layup. My partner thens kill the play (I followed B1 down the court), call the coach out to tend to his injured girls who did get up but were a bit woozy. Team A's coach goes nuts on us for not stopping the play after the collision happened.
1) Should we have stopped the play at the point of the collision?
2) Or did we do the right thing?
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
Had a play during a girls CYO game a couple years ago. A1 is dribbling and A2 comes over to set a pick. A2 stumbles and accidently collides with A1, both go down. The ball pops out, B1 grabs it, goes down the court for an uncontested layup. My partner thens kill the play (I followed B1 down the court), call the coach out to tend to his injured girls who did get up but were a bit woozy. Team A's coach goes nuts on us for not stopping the play after the collision happened.
That's what I would have done.
Then, I would have reminded the coach that he's been allowed on the court to tend to his players. He doesn't get to go nuts on you.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar play in a varsity contest two weeks ago.

Player A1 pulls up for a jumper and clearly his leg buckles and he shoots a dart at the rim. It bounces and the defense secures and fast breaks. Player A1 is holding his leg on the court.

I am the new lead and I take off with the fast break. Team B is about to score when I hear a crack of the whistle. Well my new T, cracked his whistle because the player was down on the ground and coach B had clearly influenced my partner enough to get him to crack.

Team A coach is yelling, and in my opinion rightly so, because we just stopped his advantage. I told the T, at the next opportunity, we don't stop play on a fast break with the other team has the advantage.

If they back out or score, then we can stop play. Except if it's a life and death or we see squirting blood.

Turns out the kid just had a cramp and he was up and walking within minutes.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:23pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
I guess it's not so cut and dry. I mean... did the girls bash their heads together? Did they hit their heads on the floor when they fell? Or did they just run into each other and fall down? If they simply ran into each other, and there didn't appear to be any injury, then by all means let the play go and re-examine things after the basket.

I would never fault another official for killing play because he/she thought somebody was hurt/injured. Especially in a rec contest.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:50pm
AremRed

Had a girls game last week. Girl drives along the endline from C opposite towards me at Lead tableside. She passes the ball into into the lane, and immediately trips over another girls feet (incidental). She falls and hits the floor face-first. I've never seen anything like it, her head bounced off the floor like a bouncy-ball. The ball was loose in the middle of the lane, being batted around by s few girls.

I blew it dead immediately. Girl was fine, walked off almost right away. Resumed at arrow. As others have said, you gotta have a feel for it.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Had a girls game last week. Girl drives along the endline from C opposite towards me at Lead tableside. She passes the ball into into the lane, and immediately trips over another girls feet (incidental). She falls and hits the floor face-first. I've never seen anything like it, her head bounced off the floor like a bouncy-ball. The ball was loose in the middle of the lane, being batted around by s few girls.

I blew it dead immediately. Girl was fine, walked off almost right away. Resumed at arrow. As others have said, you gotta have a feel for it.
Good job killing the play when the potential injured player is still in the area of the loose ball.
Why AP arrow? Even though the ball is loose, the team did not lose Team Control. Give the ball back to the Offensive team at the nearest location of the ball.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Good job killing the play when the potential injured player is still in the area of the loose ball.
Why AP arrow? Even though the ball is loose, the team did not lose Team Control. Give the ball back to the Offensive team at the nearest location of the ball.
Not sure that is how the rule would reads.

Peace