Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 12:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Whack the crowd?

Sorry, no. I'm not a pioneer.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

One needs to decide what one stands for in life. This is HS sports in which we open every game by addressing sporting behavior with the coaches and captains.

I really wouldn't feel one bit bad about penalizing a school's team for a racist chant from it's student section. The only thing which would send a stronger message would be to stop and forfeit the contest. That is what is happening in European soccer matches when the crowd gets racial with the players.

Sports is a part of life with one of several purposes being to teach people about how to interact with others. Think about the reason behind having the modern Olympic Games. I have decided to put the principles of character and civil behavior above the competitive aspects of a sporting contest. In the grand scheme, the game and any penalties suffered within it are secondary to the life lessons taken from it.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
One needs to decide what one stands for in life. This is HS sports in which we open every game by addressing sporting behavior with the coaches and captains.

I really wouldn't feel one bit bad about penalizing a school's team for a racist chant from it's student section. The only thing which would send a stronger message would be to stop and forfeit the contest. That is what is happening in European soccer matches when the crowd gets racial with the players.

Sports is a part of life with one of several purposes being to teach people about how to interact with others. Think about the reason behind having the modern Olympic Games. I have decided to put the principles of character and civil behavior above the competitive aspects of a sporting contest. In the grand scheme, the game and any penalties suffered within it are secondary to the life lessons taken from it.
If your state or your association makes this decision, fine.

If you're making this decision on your own, you're a loose cannon.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 03:20am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Yeah, this is the message I want to send, all right. You shall be punished for the actions of others over whom you have no control.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
IMO, cheerleaders are as much a part of the game as the players themselves, and should therefore be respectful. If I heard them yelling "miss it", or whatever, I'd have a chat with the head coach of the school, and tell him/her to get with the cheerleading coach and cut it out.

As for the crowd, they can yelling "miss it" all they want, but when the get racial like in the OP then I'm going to step in and make sure it stops immediately. I wouldn't penalize the team by giving them a tech, though. That doesn't seem right to me.
I'm on the opposite side. Cheerleaders are just fans that are permitted to stand near the court for some reason. Aside from trying not to run into them, I really don't pay any attention to them.

I wouldn't bother with a T either. Just clear that part of the gym.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm on the opposite side. Cheerleaders are just fans that are permitted to stand near the court for some reason. Aside from trying not to run into them, I really don't pay any attention to them.

I wouldn't bother with a T either. Just clear that part of the gym.
Exactly my opinion...cheerleaders are fans with a special access pass to be near/on the court at certain times.

And no way I'm giving a T here...you've already punished the offenders enough by embarrassing said individuals as they take the "walk of shame." Plus they don't get to see the rest of the game (I would venture a guess that they are there because they want to see the game). Giving a T here is making a pioneer call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If your state or your association makes this decision, fine.

If you're making this decision on your own, you're a loose cannon.
You are in good company Nevada: Martin Luther, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I would address this with GM and a Special Report to the state. I cannot see myself doing much more than that if I happened to pick up on the chant and the context. Usually in my experience if this is a student section, there are adults already on top of things like this before we even have to deal with this at all.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 09:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
You are in good company Nevada: Martin Luther, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Did you really compare this situation to anything those people were directly involved in? Seriously?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Umm....what?!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:23am
Archaic Power Monger

It's a little known fact that Thomas Jefferson was quick on the trigger with the technical fouls and he often called the second one, too.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

So the consensus seems to be that we would NOT assess a T here for racial chants.

We will however assess a T should a fan (or fans) run on the court?

What's the lesson?
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
So the consensus seems to be that we would NOT assess a T here for racial chants.

What's the lesson?
Don't run onto the court.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

In the Minority?

Based on what I'm seeing here I think I might be in the minority here but I would not do a thing about a chant coming out of the student section or anywhere in the crowd. Unless something directly affects someones safety, I do not address fans. The school and students are embarassing themselves and the game administration needs to put a stop to it (as they usually do very quickly).
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post

What's the lesson?
The chant is not overt or over the top. The chant might not even make most of us even notice the context or why that was being said. And for all most of us would know, that could be a reference to something else. This is not like other typical words or references that have history or greater context. So to give a T for something that could have many meanings or references, I do not think a T in itself is appropriate. And the lesson is the way the schools handle it with their student body, not who we allow to shoot FTs in a game no one will remember after the game is over.

Peace