The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Would you want the timer to alert the officials?

My association often provides official timers for the Varsity games. The other day, I worked the JV game and then was the Timer for the Varsity.

In the 4th quarter of the Varsity game, we had a jump ball, with AP to Home. On the inbounds, Visitor appeared to kick the ball. I was 95% sure it was ruled a kicked ball, although it happened on the far side of the court so there was a chance that it was ruled out of bounds (no kick). Ball awarded back to Home.

I did not switch the arrow initially, because, assuming a kicked ball violation, the arrow would stay with Home. After play resumed, the Visitors bench called for the arrow switch and the official nearest the table tapped the arrow on his way up the court and said switch the arrow.

So I switched the arrow and none of the other officials said anything (I was now about 70% that the official(s) had the rule wrong, and 30% that wasn't a kicking violation). There wasn't a dead ball for several minutes after that where I could ask for clarification either.

Long story short, after the game, I brought it up and it turned out that it was a kicked ball, The official asking for the arrow swich misunderstood the rule as to when the AP throw in ended, and neither of the other officials recalled the rule properly at the time.

So my question ... would you (as the on court official) want the table to sound the horn at the dead ball to discuss this? Based on the discussion in the locker room, had I brought it up during the game, it would have created a bit of confusion at the table that could call into question the officials understanding of the rules.

Last edited by HokiePaul; Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:20am.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:33am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
My association often provides official timers for the Varsity games. The other day, I worked the JV game and then was the Timer for the Varsity.

In the 4th quarter of the Varsity game, we had a jump ball, with AP to Home. On the inbounds, Visitor appeared to kick the ball. I was 95% sure it was ruled a kicked ball, although it happened on the far side of the court so there was a chance that it was ruled out of bounds (no kick). Ball awarded back to Home.

I did not switch the arrow initially, because, assuming a kicked ball violation, the arrow would stay with Home. After play resumed, the Visitors bench called for the arrow switch and the official nearest the table tapped the arrow on his way up the court and said switch the arrow.

So I switched the arrow and none of the other officials said anything (I was now about 70% that the official(s) had the rule wrong, and 30% that wasn't a kicking violation). There wasn't a dead ball for several minutes after that where I could ask for clarification either.

Long story short, after the game, I brought it up and it turned out that it was a kicked ball, The official asking for the arrow swich misunderstood the rule as to when the AP throw in ended, and neither of the other officials recalled the rule properly at the time.

So my question ... would you (as the on court official) want the table to sound the horn at the dead ball to discuss this? Based on the discussion in the locker room, had I brought it up during the game, it would have created a bit of confusion at the table that could call into question the officials understanding of the rules.
Absolutely. The bottom line to me is to get it right.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I'd get it clarified / fixed *before* the throw-in following the kick.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd get it clarified / fixed *before* the throw-in following the kick.
Ideal for sure, but I didn't really think it needed clarification at that time. No one said anything when I kept the arrow. The ball was already live when the Visitor started asking.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Ideal for sure, but I didn't really think it needed clarification at that time. No one said anything when I kept the arrow. The ball was already live when the Visitor started asking.
In that case, I'd suggest getting their attention at the next dead ball to clarify the ruling.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 12:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Precisely why I go mini-Ed H when there's a kick violation on an AP throw-in.

"The arrow will now not change after the throw-in."

A rare event which is likely to be very highly misinterpreted can be clarified immediately by 1 simple short sentence.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 01:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Precisely why I go mini-Ed H when there's a kick violation on an AP throw-in.

"The arrow will now not change after the throw-in."

A rare event which is likely to be very highly misinterpreted can be clarified immediately by 1 simple short sentence.
Do you extend both arms and drop your seat in a position not unlike preparing to take a dump when doing so?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to admit that I'm fairly weak at my communication with tables still. So, I would preferable like the table to hit the horn a couple times before the ball is made live following the kicked ball, if there is any question whatsoever.

Then we can adjudicate this properly.

Very similar to talking with a partner on a dead ball, to make sure we get the play right.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Actually...

...it's the scorer's job to tell you/us.

NFHS 2-11-7:

The scorer shall: Record the jump balls for the alternating-possession procedure and be responsible for the possession arrow.

If the scorer is sure something is wrong it's his/her job to speak up.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)