The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Free thrower from the bench

What is a situation that would allow a coach to pull a player from his bench and let him shoot free throws:

A) Technical Foul
B) Injured Player
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Assuming you're asking high school rules, the coach in both situations could pick a shooter off the bench to shoot the free throws.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Had a situation the other night in which a player was fouled and awarded two FTs. While he was standing in the semi-circle prior to administering the first attempt, I noticed that he had blood on the front of his jersey.

Two courses of action when through my head and wasn't certain which was correct:
1. Immediately have the team sub for him and have the replacement attempt the throws or the team could take a TO to clean his shirt and have him remain in and shoot.
2. Clear the lane, administer both FTs and either award a throw-in to the opponents if the 2nd is successful or use the AP if it isn't.

I was 90% sure that option 1 was correct and option 2 was only for an improperly worn uniform. (I believe the Case Play awards the throw-in to the opponents on both a make or miss too as that is part of the penalty for noncompliance with the uniform rules.). Since the player didn't do anything wrong, I thought that #2 didn't make sense and went with #1. Haven't had the chance to look it up.

I used to remember all of this stuff! Getting old, I guess.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 07:03pm.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Had a situation the other night in which a player was fouled and awarded two FTs. While he was standing in the semi-circle prior to administering the first attempt, I noticed that he had blood on the front of his jersey.

Two courses of action when through my head and wasn't certain which was correct:
1. Immediately have the team sub for him and have the replacement attempt the throws or the team could take a TO to clean his shirt and have him remain in and shoot.
2. Clear the lane, administer both FTs and either award a throw-in to the opponents if the 2nd is successful or use the AP if it isn't.

I was 90% sure that option 1 was correct and option 2 was only for an improperly worn uniform. (I believe the Case Play awards the throw-in to the opponents on both a make or miss too as that is part of the penalty for noncompliance with the uniform rules.). Since the player didn't do anything wrong, I thought that #2 didn't make sense and went with #1. Have had the chance to look it up.

I used to remember all of this stuff! Getting old, I guess.
Correct on both counts.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Why wouldn't you allow the team 20 seconds to clean up the blood or get a new jersey on him?
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
Why wouldn't you allow the team 20 seconds to clean up the blood or get a new jersey on him?
That's a college rule, not a FED rule.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I was 90% sure that option 1 was correct and option 2 was only for an improperly worn uniform.
Can someone clarify how the improperly-worn uniformed player should be treated here? Are we talking about him/her being the FT shooter, blood-stained and newly discovered to not have proper uniform? (i.e. illegal T-shirt under jersey)

Had a situation last week where we didn't catch a couple of mismatch T-shirts under jerseys at the start of a game so curious if we handled things right.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Can someone clarify how the improperly-worn uniformed player should be treated here? Are we talking about him/her being the FT shooter, blood-stained and newly discovered to not have proper uniform? (i.e. illegal T-shirt under jersey)

Had a situation last week where we didn't catch a couple of mismatch T-shirts under jerseys at the start of a game so curious if we handled things right.
I'd follow 3.3.5A
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Fantastic and sage, as usual. Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat67 View Post
Not a good idea to use NCAA rules in a HS game. Some people do though. (NY girls being the exception as the State has opted to utilize the entire NCAA book instead of the NFHS.)