The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Getting "blur" screens.

We've got a couple of teams in our area. We run a lot of cutter based movement offensive with multiple cutters heading in multiple directions. They are effectively creating what their coaches call "blur screens".

Its basically a crossing patter or pick play from football. Two players cut simultaneously and cross paths, they run into each other sometimes, sometimes the offense defenders run into on another sometimes offense/defense run into each other. Sometimes no one hits anyone but the confusion switching/spacing it gets a positive result for the offense. So sometimes its nothing, and sometimes its becoming an moving screen depending on the timing and who gets to who first.

Now this criss crossing action is happening almost every pass/play and we are trying officiate almost all these games 2 man. At least 2 or 3 times a game I know the defense is getting blasted by an illegal screen but never sure when its actually going to be an illegal screen. Between post play and on ball coverage in two person I just can't watch every cut.

Suggestions for officiating this type of action and picking it up more often in a 2 person game.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

If you think it's an issue, focus on it early, even at the expense of the post play.

Call it (when it's illegal) early, and they'll clean it up late.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Partner and I had a a couple games like that the other night; constant screens, and screen the screener action in the lane all night. We just agreed that L needed to stay with this action unless the ball was well down into the L's corner. Usually we use the intersection of the volleyball line and 3 pt line (a little higher than FT line extended) as our guide.

I called more illegal screens in those two games than what I've called all year. Good games but tough to officiate, especially when the defense is being physical fighting through the screens.

In the cutting motion you are describing I would think you would need to look for signs that the bumps weren't intentional, like shoulder chucks on the way by. Identify your "chuckers" early and don't let it get dirty.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Bob, just like hand checking, call it early (if it's there) and the teams will adjust (hopefully), making the game go much better.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
We've got a couple of teams in our area. We run a lot of cutter based movement offensive with multiple cutters heading in multiple directions. They are effectively creating what their coaches call "blur screens".

Its basically a crossing patter or pick play from football. Two players cut simultaneously and cross paths, they run into each other sometimes, sometimes the offense defenders run into on another sometimes offense/defense run into each other. Sometimes no one hits anyone but the confusion switching/spacing it gets a positive result for the offense. So sometimes its nothing, and sometimes its becoming an moving screen depending on the timing and who gets to who first.

Now this criss crossing action is happening almost every pass/play and we are trying officiate almost all these games 2 man. At least 2 or 3 times a game I know the defense is getting blasted by an illegal screen but never sure when its actually going to be an illegal screen. Between post play and on ball coverage in two person I just can't watch every cut.

Suggestions for officiating this type of action and picking it up more often in a 2 person game.
Had a team use this years ago in BV. I called an illegal screen by A3. The coach didn't know why it was a foul. I explained it to him in hockey terms and he understood.

My advice - go watch these teams as a spectator. While officiating - you're just going to need to step up and grab the early one. Consider this an opportunity!