The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   It's Academic ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97071-its-academic.html)

bob jenkins Mon Jan 20, 2014 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 919226)
I was quoting the NCAAW book, since that's what we use here in NYS for girl's basketball.

Is there a definition of "participant" in the NFHS rulebook?

"Participant" is not defined , but there are several cases where a team member has illegal equipment (e.g., jewelry) and the ruling is to the effect of "there is no T; A1 simply cannot participate until the illegal item is removed."

BillyMac Mon Jan 20, 2014 04:03pm

Always Listen To ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jerkins (Post 919224)
I view "participants" as being the equivalent of "players."

I may be wrong, but I don't agree with bob jenkins, in regard to the statement above, at this point in the thread, although I reserve the right to change my mind after some future postings. That would mean that only the five players "participating" must have legal equipment. The kids on the bench could have illegal undershirts, illegal jewelry, illegal headbands, etc. and they only have to "made" legal when they report to the table as a substitute. Since there are no players during the pregame layup lines, then everyone could conceivably be wearing illegal equipment.

I know that I'm on thin ice here, i.e., disagreeing with bob jenkins, but, like I said, I can be easily convinced that bob jenkins is correct.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 20, 2014 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 919300)
I may be wrong, but I don't agree with bob jenkins, in regard to the statement above, at this point in the thread, although I reserve the right to change my mind after some future postings. That would mean that only the five players "participating" must have legal equipment. The kids on the bench could have illegal undershirts, illegal jewelry, illegal headbands, etc. and they only have to "made" legal when they report to the table as a substitute. Since there are no players during the pregame layup lines, then everyone could conceivably be wearing illegal equipment.

I know that I'm on thin ice here, i.e., disagreeing with bob jenkins, but, like I said, I can be easily convinced that bob jenkins is correct.

When on the court the team members must be legally equipped and that pertains to warm-ups as well per a Case Book play. However, Bob is right that a team member who just sits on the bench the whole game doesn't have to comply. For example, he/she could wear earrings and not participate.

Adam Mon Jan 20, 2014 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919201)
That doesn't make sense. You can't arbitrarily decide that they may change only once when that isn't in the book. Either they can change colors because they rules allow it or they can't because the rules prohibit it.

Agreed. I don't see any rules against it.

Now, they'd all have to change at the same time, and the team isn't going to be allowed to go to the lockerroom once the 2nd half starts anyway.

Adam Mon Jan 20, 2014 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 919216)
Good example. Even the numbers can be changed after reporting the change to the scorer, and an official.

Not without a T or an approved reason (blood, etc).

Adam Mon Jan 20, 2014 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919193)
I'd allow the team to switch colors because there is no rule against it.

Let me push the issue further. Visiting team is wearing blue jerseys. They play poorly during the first half and in order to change their luck they decide to switch to red jerseys for the 2nd half.

Any rule prohibiting the entire team from changing? All numbers match the previous jerseys.

Let me add this wrinkle:
V has two distinct sets of players that play together. A1-A7 all wear red jerseys. A8-A15 all wear blue jerseys. Red only plays with red teammates, and the same with blue.

Allowed?

BillyMac Mon Jan 20, 2014 07:04pm

Partial Victory ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919325)
When on the court the team members must be legally equipped and that pertains to warm-ups as well per a Case Book play. However, Bob is right that a team member who just sits on the bench the whole game doesn't have to comply. For example, he/she could wear earrings and not participate.

Well, at least I was right about the layup lines.

It's true, always listen to bob.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 20, 2014 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 919330)
Let me add this wrinkle:
V has two distinct sets of players that play together. A1-A7 all wear red jerseys. A8-A15 all wear blue jerseys. Red only plays with red teammates, and the same with blue.

Allowed?

I'm not....at least at V or higher. MS or rec level, sure, just about anything goes as long as we can easily tell the two teams on the floor apart.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 20, 2014 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 919330)
Let me add this wrinkle:

Allowed?

No, per 3-4-1a.

BillyMac Mon Jan 20, 2014 07:43pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919343)
No, per 3-4-1a.

Team jersey color and design shall adhere to the following: The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members.

Adam Mon Jan 20, 2014 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 919343)
No, per 3-4-1a.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 919351)
Team jersey color and design shall adhere to the following: The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members.

Thanks, couldn't remember if it was "Players" or "team members."