The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

A missed call. It happens.

If a person acts like that anywhere but a sporting event and the cops get called. Yet the talking heads blame the official.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not sure how this matters according to the rule. The defenders till has certain obligations regardless of which direction the offensive player moves. If the offensive player is trying to draw contact, it's up to the defender to either avoid the contact or ensure such contact is legal (from the defensive perspective.)
I agree. Now, to the case in point:

The dribble and movement to his right, by the ball-handler, was after the leap by the defender. It was not an attempt to go towards the basket, to get the shot off. With the defender already in the air, he couldn't change his direction to avoid the ball-handler, because the ball-handler moved into him. Even so, it is obvious in the video that the defender, while in the air, tried to miss the ball-handler.
The observation by several forum members, that it shouldn't be a foul "in the act of shooting" demonstrates that the two actions - moving towards the airbourne defender to cause the contact, and then trying to get the shot off, were not simultaneous.

As of last season, the NBA recognized that such attempts to "draw the foul" needed to be judged differently.

Several years ago, I called a player control foul on a ball-handler, when he moved under a defender who had jumped, completely taking away his opportunity to land, and dumping him, hard to the floor. The objections to the call were somewhat overcome, when the defender was carried off the floor, due to the injury he suffered.

Obviously, the video in discussion has not that amount of contact, and, I, also, most likely, in that situation would have called a foul on the defender.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 01:14pm.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

It’s a foul, though I can see why it wasn’t called. Live and at real speed it looks like the shooter slides into the path of the airborne defender. In slo-mo it appears the shooter stepped towards his right during his initial movement and was trying to move away from the airborne defender when the contact took place.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 03:39pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No, he got a technical from the L on the end line (and the T was coming in with one, too) and then got the second after shouting what appears to be an F-bomb at the L as he was going to the table to report the T.

The offensive player got fouled, but his embellishment of the foul was unnecessary and made it look a lot worse than it was.
Ok. They made it sound like he only got one there.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 03:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STFD View Post
I thought he was yelling at the wrong guy too. However from the video, the L seems to be refereeing the play (and from the baseline angle, the Trail is pretty deep). I notice a lot of high level D1 guys refereeing plays in the corner from Lead. I don't usually do this, but in this case the L does not have much going on in his primary.

That said, assuming that a foul was called here, should we put the shooter on the line? I say no. He takes a dribble when he makes the move to his right and hasn't gathered at the time of contact. Thoughts?
Maybe, but that is clearly the T's call mostly. The L could help, but that is the wrong guy to initially react towards IMO.

And I am not sure I would give it a shooting foul either. It is close for sure.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I think he only got one T on that play. I believe he had gotten a T earlier in the game. At least that's the way I heard it on ESPN.
ESPN play by play tracking shows both T's given at 13:02.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:41pm
AremRed

Maybe the Lead takes a peek at a shooter in the corner. I can't see this Lead looking at that play on the wing.

This is Trail's call, and where is he? Looks to be at halfcourt. In fact he isn't even in the frame until he sprints in to join the T party. If the Trail had showed the same amount of dedication to getting the call right as rushing in to call the T, this never would have happened.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Maybe the Lead takes a peek at a shooter in the corner. I can't see this Lead looking at that play on the wing.

This is Trail's call, and where is he? Looks to be at halfcourt. In fact he isn't even in the frame until he sprints in to join the T party. If the Trail had showed the same amount of dedication to getting the call right as rushing in to call the T, this never would have happened.
I agree that this is the trail's call, but I'm not going to call into question Brian O'Connell's dedication. He's been a high quality DI official for a long time. That being said....

According to statsheet.com O'Connell worked two games yesterday!!! Statsheet has him in DC working the Seton Hall v. Georgetown game yesterday and then getting himself to Storrs, CT to work the 9pm game. I know he's an independent contractor and that he has the right to do this, but is he doing the second game a disservice? I think that working two high level games within 9 hours of each other and traveling 366 miles is asking a lot of anyone's body and mind.

I don't know if this was why O'Connell was so far away from the play in question, but it certainly could be a reason why.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
According to statsheet.com O'Connell worked two games yesterday!!! Statsheet has him in DC working the Seton Hall v. Georgetown game yesterday and then getting himself to Storrs, CT to work the 9pm game. I know he's an independent contractor and that he has the right to do this, but is he doing the second game a disservice? I think that working two high level games within 9 hours of each other and traveling 366 miles is asking a lot of anyone's body and mind.
The box score of the Seton Hall-Georgetown game does in fact show O'Connell as one of the officials. The AAC and the Big East share staffs (obviously, since they used to be the same conference) but yeah, it seems very strange.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Box scores are often wrong. And if you use some of the sites as the end all be all, those have proven to be wrong. I would think if he worked two games, there would be video evidence. This should be easy to find out for sure. Or there is another explanation like subbing for someone else. I cannot think of any situation where this was originally scheduled that way. Too many things can go wrong at this time of year.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Box scores are often wrong. And if you use some of the sites as the end all be all, those have proven to be wrong. I would think if he worked two games, there would be video evidence. This should be easy to find out for sure. Or there is another explanation like subbing for someone else. I cannot think of any situation where this was originally scheduled that way. Too many things can go wrong at this time of year.

Peace
That's a good point. He might have been filling in for someone who was sick or injured. He was definitely at both games though. I found a picture from the Georgetown website. He's in the background on the right side.

http://www.guhoyas.com/view.gal?id=153746
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Guys, assignors don't assign/officials don't accept two games in one day as a matter of standard practice. It does happen on occasion out of necessity - when an official has weather/travel-issues AND THE ONLY VIABLE OPTION is for an official nearby to cover the game.

It happened a couple of years ago when an official had an 11am CT game at Marquette and then drove down to South Bend, IN. to cover something like an 8pm game at Notre Dame ('cause an official either had travel issues or got injured the night before).

IMHO, having an official work two games in the same day out of necessity is NOT a "disservice to the game of basketball"....having to work 2-man in these type of games is the disservice.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Guys, assignors don't assign/officials don't accept two games in one day as a matter of standard practice. It does happen on occasion out of necessity - when an official has weather/travel-issues AND THE ONLY VIABLE OPTION is for an official nearby to cover the game.

It happened a couple of years ago when an official had an 11am CT game at Marquette and then drove down to South Bend, IN. to cover something like an 8pm game at Notre Dame ('cause an official either had travel issues or got injured the night before).

IMHO, having an official work two games in the same day out of necessity is NOT a "disservice to the game of basketball"....having to work 2-man in these type of games is the disservice.
It speaks to a certain mindset that the assignors/schools/coaches would rather have an official work one, drive hours to the next site, and then work another RATHER than identify some up-and-comers who could step in and fill in when something like this happens.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It speaks to a certain mindset that the assignors/schools/coaches would rather have an official work one, drive hours to the next site, and then work another RATHER than identify some up-and-comers who could step in and fill in when something like this happens.
My thoughts exactly. You can't tell me that there wasn't some unknown staff official between Boston and New York available to travel to UConn. Instead they have someone work a game in DC and then hustle his way all the way up to Stors to work a 2nd game.