The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UCONN Coach Ejected--Video Request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97062-uconn-coach-ejected-video-request.html)

stiffler3492 Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:34pm

UCONN Coach Ejected--Video Request

UCONN Coach ejected at about the 13:00 mark of the 2nd half of the UCONN vs UL game tonight. Can someone post video of the play that led to the ejection?

Raymond Sun Jan 19, 2014 02:41am

#1) That's a foul;
#2) Kevin Ollie earned the first T, no question.
#3) After first T, Ollie throws an F-bomb at Stuart, so 2nd T earned.
#4) Dickie V, sounds like an idiot. I hate the phrase "fighting for his player", it's code for "acting a$$ when a ref misses a call"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OhTTPWPHVG0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Sun Jan 19, 2014 02:59am

Agree. We all miss them. I missed a couple last night that I know were probably obvious form a different view but sometimes you just get caught in the wrong spot. And that looks to be the case here.

Rob1968 Sun Jan 19, 2014 04:18am

It appears that the defender would have missed the ball-handler if the ball-handler hadn't purposely moved to his right to draw the contact and, that sideways movement was not part of a normal attempt to shoot.

APG Sun Jan 19, 2014 05:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 919063)
It appears that the defender would have missed the ball-handler if the ball-handler hadn't purposely moved to his right to draw the contact and, that sideways movement was not part of a normal attempt to shoot.

This is a foul 999/1000 times...and the one time is cause the officials missed the call.

JRutledge Sun Jan 19, 2014 07:52am

I think it is a valid point that when players throw themselves into other players, you lose the benefit of the doubt in many cases. I agree this is a foul, but it would have made me think of it when the offensive player throws himself into the defender.

That also being said, he was yelling at the wrong official. The official that would have had this call was the T, not the L. I would not be surprised if the L was not even looking there. So mistake number 1 was Ollie is yelling at the wrong guy. I probably would not have called anything either from his position on this play. Not when the shooter throws himself into the guy and that is where most of the contact came from.

Peace

STFD Sun Jan 19, 2014 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 919078)
....That also being said, he was yelling at the wrong official. ...

I thought he was yelling at the wrong guy too. However from the video, the L seems to be refereeing the play (and from the baseline angle, the Trail is pretty deep). I notice a lot of high level D1 guys refereeing plays in the corner from Lead. I don't usually do this, but in this case the L does not have much going on in his primary.

That said, assuming that a foul was called here, should we put the shooter on the line? I say no. He takes a dribble when he makes the move to his right and hasn't gathered at the time of contact. Thoughts?

bob jenkins Sun Jan 19, 2014 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 919057)
#1) That's a foul;

#4) Dickie V, sounds like an idiot. I hate the phrase "fighting for his player", it's code for "acting a$$ when a ref misses a call"

1) Foul, but I'm not sure it was a shooting foul. I think white was still dribbling.

4) On the rare occasion when I have time to watch, if Dickie V is doing the game, I watch something else.

JugglingReferee Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25am

Definitely a foul.

Definitely not a shooting foul.

Definitely a T in HS, even if a foul was called. I gotta think the same is true in NCAA. I know in FIBA it would be.

Definitely a 2nd T. Times like this I think about something called a "continuing action T foul". He dissatisfaction is all in one action. I would support a rule change where the 1st T is upgraded to a flagrant for the continued harassment.

Adam Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 919063)

Not sure how this matters according to the rule. The defenders till has certain obligations regardless of which direction the offensive player moves. If the offensive player is trying to draw contact, it's up to the defender to either avoid the contact or ensure such contact is legal (from the defensive perspective.)

Adam Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 919101)
I would support a rule change where the 1st T is upgraded to a flagrant for the continued harassment.

Frankly, I prefer the option we have, where the continued harassment gets a second technical foul and the accompanying free throws.

I also find it pathetic that a D-1 coach has to be restrained by his 20-ish year old players.

OKREF Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:15pm

I think he only got one T on that play. I believe he had gotten a T earlier in the game. At least that's the way I heard it on ESPN.

Raymond Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by STFD (Post 919081)

That said, assuming that a foul was called here, should we put the shooter on the line? I say no. He takes a dribble when he makes the move to his right and hasn't gathered at the time of contact. Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing. Foul happens before shooting motion.

Rich Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 919111)
I think he only got one T on that play. I believe he had gotten a T earlier in the game. At least that's the way I heard it on ESPN.

No, he got a technical from the L on the end line (and the T was coming in with one, too) and then got the second after shouting what appears to be an F-bomb at the L as he was going to the table to report the T.

The offensive player got fouled, but his embellishment of the foul was unnecessary and made it look a lot worse than it was.

Raymond Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 919111)

Both the Lead and the Trail whistled a T when Ollie did his 28ft sprint down the sideline to the end line. Then Ollie directed an F-bomb ("call the F'ing foul") at the Lead (Stuart) who issued the 2nd T and ejection.