The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Long Switch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97041-long-switch.html)

Zoochy Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:02pm

Long Switch

1) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. Before the ball is controlled, Both A-2 and B-2 are still in the air and A-2 fouls B-2.
2) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. The ball is controlled by B-2. Both A-2 and B-2 are still in the air and A-2 fouls B-2.
3) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. The ball is controlled by B-2. A-2 is on the court and fouls B-2 before he returns to the court.
4) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. The ball is controlled by B-2. Both A-2 and B-2 have returned to the court and A-2 fouls B-2.

If Team B is in the bonus, does B-2 shoot Free-Throws?

AremRed Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 918673)

Why would he not?

jritchie Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:11pm

1,2,3 If lead calls foul table side long switch with trail because it was on the rebound, if lead calls foul opposite table switch with C and stay table side C. Because these were all on rebounds.

#4 since the ball was controlled and wasn't on the rebound, it was after, then if called by lead on either side, report and come back to throw ball in.

Team B will Shoot Bonus in all of the above.

CountTheBasket Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 918676)
1,2,3 If lead calls foul table side long switch with trail because it was on the rebound.

Can anyone else confirm this part?! I agree this is how I understood it as well to begin the season, but since then I have had multiple R's in pregame tell me there is only a long switch on an offensive foul, not on the rebounding foul.

jeremy341a Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:22pm

Around here if you call a foul from the L you switch. After you become the new T you step out report and step back and administer.

zm1283 Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:24pm

Here is the text of an email sent to all officials in our state recently:

Quote:

The final note is on the 3 man mechanic change that involve the lead official calling a foul in the backcourt with no free throws.
The explanation from the NFHS regarding when this issue is below:
NFHS this season made a three-person mechanics change that involves the lead official calling a foul with the ball going from the backcourt to frontcourt with no free throws. With the change, the lead reports the foul and then stays tableside as the new lead or center.
However, there has been some uncertainty by some officials whether or not the new trail should switch when a foul is called in the backcourt going to the frontcourt in a three-person crew. NFHS recently confirmed that mechanic remains the same as in the past and there is no switch. The trail reports the foul and then returns to administer the throw-in. That means, that once team B has secured the ball and a count has started (meaning the former lead is the new trail), you will not switch but simply report the foul and move back to the trail as in previous seasons.

For example, if A4 rebounds B2’s field-goal attempt, A4 starts to dribble the ball and the new trail calls a foul on B3 near the basket, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in nearest the spot of the foul. If A2 makes a basket and the new trail calls a foul on A1 after B3 catches the throw-in pass near the endline, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in at the spot nearest the foul.
To me, this means that on any foul that happens before Team B secures the steal/rebound, etc, you switch and the Lead stays table side. So if the Lead has an illegal screen, rebounding foul, or charge, he will go to the table and stay there.

If I got to make the mechanics, I would have the calling official go opposite table like NCAAM mechanics. Just seems a lot easier that way.

AremRed Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountTheBasket (Post 918678)
Can anyone else confirm this part?!

It's all about what position you are at the moment of the foul. If the offense has the ball (TC or PC foul) or there foul with no team control, Lead switches. If the defense secures control Lead is now the new Trail. Thus, if a foul happens he would report and go back.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 16, 2014 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountTheBasket (Post 918678)
Can anyone else confirm this part?! I agree this is how I understood it as well to begin the season, but since then I have had multiple R's in pregame tell me there is only a long switch on an offensive foul, not on the rebounding foul.

Based on past discussions here (and elsewhere), different organizations handle it differently.

I also don't understand the OP where the thread /post title seem to discuss long switch, but the questions all deal with whether FTs are shot. They are, so of course the "long switch" question doesn't come into play.

Zoochy Thu Jan 16, 2014 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 918673)
1) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. Before the ball is controlled, Both A-2 and B-2 are still in the air and A-2 fouls B-2.
2) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. The ball is controlled by B-2. Both A-2 and B-2 are still in the air and A-2 fouls B-2.
3) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. The ball is controlled by B-2. A-2 is on the court and fouls B-2 before he returns to the court.
4) A-1's try rebounds off the back board. The ball is controlled by B-2. Both A-2 and B-2 have returned to the court and A-2 fouls B-2.

Do we make long switches? Sorry for the confusion.

JRutledge Thu Jan 16, 2014 08:07pm

My understanding if the Lead calls the foul and you are going from the FC to the BC after the foul, then you long switch.

If you are the Trail, you go back theoretically.

I am not sure most people even care in the end other than officials or someone that has nothing else to really worry about. The point of the mechanic is to get you to the reporting area. But it is puzzling why that would be the goal and if I am the Trail, I can go back and do the very same thing I did in previous years?

Peace

Rich1 Thu Jan 16, 2014 08:41pm

The Texas Exception

There's no confusion here. In Texas we made it easy by deciding NOT to do the long switch.

AremRed Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:11am

Here is how you do it.

It all depends on who you are at the time of the foul.

As Lead, if you call a foul where the offensive team has possession (PC or TC foul), OR a foul where neither team has possession (i.e. rebounding foul), you switch with the tableside official.

However, if the defense secures possession then Lead is now new Trail. Any foul now requires the Trail to report and come back to administer.

Obviously, this covers all fouls going long with no FT's.

Easy peasy, japanesy.

RookieDude Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 918766)
Here is how you do it.

It all depends on who you are at the time of the foul.

As Lead, if you call a foul where the offensive team has possession (PC or TC foul), OR a foul where neither team has possession (i.e. rebounding foul), you switch with the tableside official.

However, if the defense secures possession then Lead is now new Trail. Any foul now requires the Trail to report and come back to administer.

Obviously, this covers all fouls going long with no FT's.

Easy peasy, japanesy.

This...in our area...

In the OP...only in the #1 scenario would we go table side.

Scooby Fri Jan 17, 2014 02:22am

In Michigan we are no longer doing the long switch. Here is part of an email for one of my assignors:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I contacted the MHSAA and spoke to Nate Hampton about the following:

1. The new officials mechanic concerning the "Long Switch" is no longer in effect. In other words, we are back to last year's mechanic.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 17, 2014 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 918710)
Do we make long switches? Sorry for the confusion.

Some areas don't. ;)

In those that do, some are "strict" that ONLY if the L calls the foul, will there be a long switch. So that's a switch in 1, and no switch in 2, 3, and 4 (because the L became the T as soon as B controlled the rebound).

IN other areas, you still switch until B starts (or attempts to start) up the court. So, if the foul was during the "rebounding action" (a somewhat undefined term), you switch -- that would be 1, 2, and 3. 4 is up in the air -- if you though A was still trying to get the rebound, switch, but if you thought that A was trying to steal the ball after B had the rebound, no switch.

And, as always -- just read your partner(s) and fill in -- no one else will notice. Discuss at a break, if needed.