The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Auburn-Missouri - Last play of the game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96991-video-request-auburn-missouri-last-play-game.html)

VTOfficial Sat Jan 11, 2014 04:26pm

Video Request: Auburn-Missouri - Last play of the game

If someone could post the video of the last play of the Auburn-Missouri game, it looks like either a travel or OOB call should have been made with a few ticks left on the clock.

ballgame99 Sat Jan 11, 2014 06:14pm

While you are at it get the block/charge at 1:00 of the second half. Thought it was a block.

JetMetFan Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:28pm

video added

Here are the plays...

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 917772)
If someone could post the video of the last play of the Auburn-Missouri game, it looks like either a travel or OOB call should have been made with a few ticks left on the clock.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JoODKjE94M0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 917774)
While you are at it get the block/charge at 1:00 of the second half. Thought it was a block.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vIOdZ8goRvA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41pm

First play is a travel. No question. I think the official was too close trying to get out of the way.

Second play I have no problem with the charge. The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it. ;)

Peace

Ref16 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 917793)
First play is a travel. No question. I think the official was too close trying to get out of the way.

Second play I have no problem with the charge. The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it. ;)

Peace

100% agree

BryanV21 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:54pm

Coaches tell their players to play until you hear a whistle or horn. Officials have to officiate the same way. This guy clearly thought "game over" and stopped officiating.

As for the block/charge call, I have a hard time judging an official for their call. It looks to me like a block, as the defender got into position late, but being on the floor only a few feet from the play is much different than watching it on TV.

zm1283 Sun Jan 12, 2014 02:50am

The second play is a block and it's not really that close considering other plays that have been called blocks this year.

Have I mentioned the new rule is awful?

Camron Rust Sun Jan 12, 2014 03:05am

Under the new NCAA block/charge parameters, that was a block.

Under HS rules, that was a charge.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 12, 2014 03:46am

Suspension coming

Sad to see the official give up on the play like that.
When the right foot touches the floor it is simultaneously both traveling and an OOB violation. There is 0.7 on the clock at this point.

I have a charge on the 2nd play. If that's going to be a blocking foul by rule, then defenders have no reasonable amount of protection anymore and coaches will be teaching their players to run everyone over.

twocentsworth Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07am

The official was too close to the sideline play to see the travel and the out-of-bounds violation.

As for the block/charge play, that's an easy block under the revised NCAA-M rules this year. The official HAS to get this correct (especially w/1:05 left on the clock).

bob jenkins Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 917812)
Sad to see the official give up on the play like that.
When the right foot touches the floor it is simultaneously both traveling and an OOB violation. There is 0.7 on the clock at this point.

I have a charge on the 2nd play. If that's going to be a blocking foul by rule, then defenders have no reasonable amount of protection anymore and coaches will be teaching their players to run everyone over.

They already are, and on the other side, you see many players just getting out of the way and giving the easy lay-up. I think that's part of what the NCAA wants.

jeschmit Sun Jan 12, 2014 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 917809)

Under NCAAW rules this is a charge as well...

AremRed Sun Jan 12, 2014 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 917809)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 917812)

I agree.

#olderthanilook Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:34am

I was watching the game, and as it ended was asking myself why the other two officials didn't come together to talk about the play to make sure they got it right. Instead, they all just ran off the court.

Not sure if there is any NCAA protocol for a situation like that. Apparently, there isn't.

Any of you NCAA guys have further input?

bob jenkins Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 918033)
I was watching the game, and as it ended was asking myself why the other two officials didn't come together to talk about the play to make sure they got it right. Instead, they all just ran off the court.

Not sure if there is any NCAA protocol for a situation like that. Apparently, there isn't.

Any of you NCAA guys have further input?

It's not a monitor review item (I don't think), and neither of the other officials would have a look at the line.

On the travel, you (as one of the other officials) need to decide if you had a good enough look at it and if it was a "crew saving" call. If so, then make it. don't get together after the fact to try to correct it.