The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: Auburn-Missouri - Last play of the game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96991-video-request-auburn-missouri-last-play-game.html)

#olderthanilook Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 918035)
It's not a monitor review item (I don't think), and neither of the other officials would have a look at the line.

On the travel, you (as one of the other officials) need to decide if you had a good enough look at it and if it was a "crew saving" call. If so, then make it. don't get together after the fact to try to correct it.

Is this a situation that the SEC assignor will review with the official(s)? I hate seeing any official make mistakes that could result in harsh reprimand and/or consequences. But, that mismanagement of the game was a pretty big deal. I'm somewhat surprised the Auburn coach hasn't made a big deal about not getting an opportunity for another inbound play that would give his team another chance to tie or win the game.

ballgame99 Mon Jan 13, 2014 01:38pm

I just remembered another play in this game I needed some help on. In the second half a Mizzou player is fouled on the shot, it is the defender's 5th. The defender apparently said something to, or bumped into an official (never showed any replay or got clarification) and got a T. Missouri shoots two shots, then shoots two technicals, then Auburn inbounds. I was very confused. What circumstances would result in Auburn getting the ball back after a T has been called?

Rich Mon Jan 13, 2014 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 918054)
I just remembered another play in this game I needed some help on. In the second half a Mizzou player is fouled on the shot, it is the defender's 5th. The defender apparently said something to, or bumped into an official (never showed any replay or got clarification) and got a T. Missouri shoots two shots, then shoots two technicals, then Auburn inbounds. I was very confused. What circumstances would result in Auburn getting the ball back after a T has been called?

NCAA rules are different than NFHS rules for a subset of technical fouls.

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 13, 2014 01:46pm

Quote:

The circumstance you describe would.

NCAA has you shoot the tech first.

johnny d Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:02pm

Quote:

Most technical fouls in NCAA-M are two shots and play resumed at POI, not two shots and the ball to the offended team.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 918045)
Is this a situation that the SEC assignor will review with the official(s)? I hate seeing any official make mistakes that could result in harsh reprimand and/or consequences. But, that mismanagement of the game was a pretty big deal. I'm somewhat surprised the Auburn coach hasn't made a big deal about not getting an opportunity for another inbound play that would give his team another chance to tie or win the game.

I don't work the SEC, so I'm only speculating, but -- officials are reviewed after almost every game, and it would not surprise me if they all got a downgrade for this (and maybe lose a game). And, there are procedures for a coach to raise this issue -- and those do NOT include "making a big deal" our of it publically.

Quote:

Missouri had the ball, Auburn committed a foul, then committed a T and then Auburn inbounded? That doesn't sound correct.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 918061)
I don't work the SEC, so I'm only speculating, but -- officials are reviewed after almost every game, and it would not surprise me if they all got a downgrade for this (and maybe lose a game). And, there are procedures for a coach to raise this issue -- and those do NOT include "making a big deal" our of it publically.

I'd hope not. Their should be at least one official (and maybe 2) that should have no idea if that player stepped on the line or traveled. I hope they wouldn't get penalized for their partner missing a call.

johnny d Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 918061)

Missouri had the ball, Auburn committed a foul, then committed a T and then Auburn inbounded? That doesn't sound correct.

Yes bob, it does.

1. Missouri shoots the two free throws for the T without players lined up.

2. Missouri shoots the two free throws with the players lined up for the shooting foul.

3. Missouri makes the second shot, so Auburn inbounds the ball along the endline after the made free throw.

rockyroad Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:23pm

Quote:

Assuming that the Missouri player made the last free throw, then the POI would be Auburn inbounding the ball from the endline. They should have shot the two Technical free throws first, then brought everyone back into the lane spaces and shot the 2 for the personal foul. Play would resume from there.

Raymond Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:29pm

Quote:

What type of throw-in? Anywhere along the endline or designated spot?

bob jenkins Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 918067)
Yes bob, it does.

1. Missouri shoots the two free throws for the T without players lined up.

2. Missouri shoots the two free throws with the players lined up for the shooting foul.

3. Missouri makes the second shot, so Auburn inbounds the ball along the endline after the made free throw.

ah -- yes. I was thinking that there were no players lined up for the FTs and Auburn inbounded at the spot of the foul, or the division line.

I agree that if it happened as you describe, that's the correct enforcement.

ballgame99 Mon Jan 13, 2014 03:56pm

I guess I just don't see a lot of technicals in college then. Because everyone above is correct, they shot the two technicals with the lane clear, and then two free throws with the lane full and played on.

In NFHS you would do it the opposite wouldn't you? Shoot the two shots for the shooting foul, then two techs, and then the shooting team gets the ball at division line?

rockyroad Mon Jan 13, 2014 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 918103)
I guess I just don't see a lot of technicals in college then. Because everyone above is correct, they shot the two technicals with the lane clear, and then two free throws with the lane full and played on.

In NFHS you would do it the opposite wouldn't you? Shoot the two shots for the shooting foul, then two techs, and then the shooting team gets the ball at division line?

Yes. In NFHS you penalize in the order they occurred.