The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In that spot, we'd give first crack to the L. In the paint, L is king.

Your region may vary.
I like this approach.

If I'm the L in this game, I've got a PC. If I'm the C, I let the L have a heartbeat or two, and then come up with a PC. If I'm the T, and I need to get this one, then ouch!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
This is a call that saves the crew.
Bingo.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 02:27am
AremRed

Quote:
This is a call that saves the crew.
I thought a "crew-saving call" is a big missed call at the end of the game. Like the Kansas-Iowa State game last year.

Isn't this more of a "call that the game needs", perhaps in order to prevent future rough play?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I thought a "crew-saving call" is a big missed call at the end of the game. Like the Kansas-Iowa State game last year.
Adjust your thinking. A crew-saving call is one where everyone in the gym thinks there should be a whistle and it harms the credibility of the crew to "pass" on it.

The T could easily make this call, if needed. He should have an open look and his eyes should have gone there with the imminent crash with no other competitive matchup. Who knows why the C didn't blow on it, but this isn't a case of trusting that the C/L had a better look -- it was clearly a foul.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Adjust your thinking. A crew-saving call is one where everyone in the gym thinks there should be a whistle and it harms the credibility of the crew to "pass" on it.

The T could easily make this call, if needed. He should have an open look and his eyes should have gone there with the imminent crash with no other competitive matchup. Who knows why the C didn't blow on it, but this isn't a case of trusting that the C/L had a better look -- it was clearly a foul.
He eyes maybe should have gone there, but he would have no way of knowing there was an imminent crash. That secondary defender came from the opposite side of the free throw lane. There was another secondary sliding over that was coming from his side of the court.

That's expecting a lot to say he "SHOULD" have been looking at what would be his terciary area, when the ball-handler left his primary, and a defender was moving towards the play from his secondary. He had 2 partners in perfect position to call this play. For all we know he was caught so off-guard, by the time he thought to put a whistle on it, it was too late. And anything the Trail calls on this play is still a total guess.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 08:50am.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:00pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I disagree with this sentiment. A crew-saving call occurs when there is a non-basketball play such as an elbow or punch that wasn't seen by the official in whose primary coverage area the incident took place. The play in the OP is simply a missed call. The crew and the game will survive this situation and should be able to finish the game without problem.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

I honestly do not think that I would go get this one as T. First, I would be trusting the C and L to handle their business and probably would not get a very good look at it. Second, it does not rise, imo, to the level of "Oh my God! We have to call that" which would make me go that far across the court to grab a call.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This play appears to be just over one minute into the game. Not a great way to start and establish credibility in the crew. If the trail did decide to pass, he might be thinking that he is in for a long night.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

OK, I'll buy what others are saying.

But it really makes me wonder about the C/L and their abilities. This is about as easy of a PC foul that you'll ever see.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Second, it does not rise, imo, to the level of "Oh my God! We have to call that" which would make me go that far across the court to grab a call.
I'll respectfully disagree with this statement. In the "ant/elephant" analogy brought up a few months ago, I'd put this in the "elephant" category.

If a play like this happened during an officiating camp my guess is an observer would say something to the effect of, “I don’t care if you get the call wrong, someone HAS to put a whistle on this!”
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'll respectfully disagree with this statement. In the "ant/elephant" analogy brought up a few months ago, I'd put this in the "elephant" category.

If a play like this happened during an officiating camp my guess is an observer would say something to the effect of, “I don’t care if you get the call wrong, someone HAS to put a whistle on this!”
+1. this wasn't incidental, and it pretty much tells the defense that don't waste your time trying we wont notice.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

I agree! I've seen such a "no-call" when a crew was made up of partners who hadn't previously worked with each other, and/or the official with PCA felt intimidated to be working with his/her partners.
I observed a 3-person crew, recently, who were so tight during the 1st half of their game, that they looked like 3 totally separate officials, with virtually no interaction. We talked about it at halftime, and they did a much better job in the 2nd half.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:33am
wife loves the goatee...

"Seniority"

I have been a part of way too many crews where your position in the Association has more to do with having a "late" whistle here than what actually happened on the court.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 12:33pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I agree! I've seen such a "no-call" when a crew was made up of partners who hadn't previously worked with each other, and/or the official with PCA felt intimidated to be working with his/her partners.

The person too intimidated to make a call because they are nervous about their partners should not be working the game in the first place. That has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard for not making a call.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
The person too intimidated to make a call because they are nervous about their partners should not be working the game in the first place. That has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard for not making a call.
I agree. Such feelings of inadequacy are observed, and rarely discussed. The intimidation is rarely admitted, as in an offered excuse. A good mentor, and more game experience seem to be the best tools to overcome those feelings.
Performing as an official is quite foreign to most other activities. And, it takes some experieice to get used to it.