The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Coach slightly on the court, makes contact with opposing player.

Perhaps I'm not as good with the search function as others but I did try:
And I did look in the book and can't find anything that covers this, except for the coaching box restrictions, 10-5-1.

So let's say we're in the first half, which means that coach has his (or her) team on defense in front of him. Play goes to the wing and while the coach is slightly on the floor, not egregiously nor in an unsporting manner, the offensive player: (a) makes contact with him while he's coaching, again not on purpose, but it disrupts the player. The player stumbles, regains balance but has to kick it back out, and play continues; or (b) makes contact with him while he's coaching, again not on purpose, but it disrupts the player and he stumbles and loses the ball OOB.

Let's say that slightly equals a few to several inches.

Is this as cut and dried as it appears, TF in both?
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think so.

While we often permit the coaches to be a bit over the line in regards to the box, I don't think we can ignore it when it causes contact with an opponent during a live ball, particularly if it disrupts that opponent such that they lose the ball OOB. The coaches need to be responsible for staying out of the way of live action and even more so when they step outside of their box.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Twist And Shout (The Beatles, 1963) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While we often permit the coaches to be a bit over the line in regards to the box, I don't think we can ignore it when it causes contact with an opponent during a live ball, particularly if it disrupts that opponent such that they lose the ball OOB. The coaches need to be responsible for staying out of the way of live action and even more so when they step outside of their box.
Sounds good. But what about coach/player contact that occurs when the coach is standing, legally, in his coaching box, maybe with his fat belly sticking out over plane of the side boundary line, or maybe an arm, or elbow, and the player, while dribbling the ball, inbounds, also has some body parts hanging out over the plane of the sideline? The player's not out of bounds because he's contacting a person, not an object, but what's the responsibility of the coach in this situation, and what happens if there is contact, maybe putting the player at a disadvantage?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 07, 2014 at 06:17pm.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

I would T automatically in this case everytime a coach causes a disruption with ANY action on the court.

If I, or any, player runs into a coach on the floor AUTO T time. I did a game last week where the coach was a bit on the court and the opposing player ran down, saw him, and jumped out the way (didn't effect anything so I thought this would be a good spot for preventative officiating). I was thinking, "man if that were me back in the day I would run smack into the coach" and expect a T. Since I was trail on that side I just ran by coach and told him to stay off the court. Coaches just don't teach kids those kinds of things today.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I generally concur -- with an exception for those very small courts where the bench is right on the sideline.

Here, I probably just try to make it "fair -- such as call a "violation" on the coach and give the ball back to the offense.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds good. But what about coach/player contact that occurs when the coach is standing, legally, in his coaching box, maybe with his fat belly sticking out over plane of the side boundary line, or maybe an arm, or elbow, and the player, while dribbling the ball, inbounds, also has some body parts hanging out over the plane of the sideline? The player's not out of bounds because he's contacting a person, not an object, but what's the responsibility of the coach in this situation, and what happens if there is contact, maybe putting the player at a disadvantage?
Still. The coaching box is for coaching only...not for interfering with the play, even if inadvertent. Call it a foul by a non-player (a T) if you need to but I expect the coach, if there is room, to avoid being in the way of players. If the coach is as far out of the way as they can be (or any bench personnel for that matter), them I'm OK with applying 2-3 and doing the right thing.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 08, 2014 at 02:58am.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 01:22am
Courageous When Prudent

The coach would be in trouble in an NCAA-Men's game.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I like to tell coaches before the game to make your best effort stay in the coaching box. I warn them if I'm running down the sideline following a play and your in my way your gonna get run over. If it's an opposing player thats running down that sideline then it's a T--whether it's intentional or not.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago this happened:
NCAA 10-2-6-a?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
A few years ago this happened:
NCAA 10-2-6-a?
Definitely a tech-a-ble moment.